Author Topic: taking front wheel of nightmare...  (Read 3120 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 02, 2013, 06:23:11 am
So i took my wheels off, back one easy as but the front one i just cant seem to get the bolt through. it is so hard to line up the washes etc in a really tight fit between the forks. the bolt now has only about 2 inches left to go through but ive gone and busted the round plastic speedo thingy, so i guess im gonna have to get the bolt out again, line the washeers and spacers up and again and no doubt wreck something else in the process...Can anyone tell me a method to this????
its killing me.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:35:51 am
Sectors
never removed the front wheel. hopefully you will get your answer pretty quick and i too will be a bit wiser

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:48:55 am
It is a bit tricky, but it can be done. Make sure the fork pinch bolt on the RH fork is loose enough. Before putting the wheel between the forks, put the spindle in a bit on the RH side so that it stays inside the fork a little. The speedo drive should be greased, so should be the spacer. For me, I used to temporarily fit the speedo drive on the wheel hub, same with the spacer on the speedo drive. This was only possible with the grease. It kind of held together as a result of the factory grease.

Then using one hand, I used to lift the wheel, align everything with the hole next to the spindle and using the other hand I would force the spindle through. When it appeared that it had gone through almost all the way, I just made use of a mallet to get the spindle across fully. Then all you need to do is adjust the speedo drive so that the speedo cable isn't stretched when you turn the handlebar and doesn't scuff the paint on the fender. Followed by hand-tightening the big M16 hex nut on the other side, so that you can ensure the speedo drive is not being hampered. After this, you just need to tighten the hex nut properly followed by the pinch bolt.

Yes, you have to keep the wheel lifted with either your shear strength, or use a wooden plank of some sort to raise the wheel in order to give yourself leverage to align the spindle/speedo drive/spacer with the hole. If you have the front end supported by a house jack or some similar equipment, just lower the front end a bit after you get the wheel between the forks. Then hopefully it'll be easier to align everything.

I am sorry if I haven't been clear enough with my explanation. As wildbill mentioned, more experienced members may have neat little tricks to get the front wheel back on easily. Not sure my method will work out for you, but I've done it two or three times already without too much trouble. It surely is a bit of a struggle for one person to put the wheel back on. But doing this a few times will help you out, I suppose. And you will need to buy a new speedo drive, if it's cracked etc. Riding without the speedo working is quite scary for obvious reasons haha (has happened to me before)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:20:25 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:20:39 am
Hey bill if I get this sorted we were going to ride to orange tomorrow for the night. Ill give you a buzz

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:23:58 am
What a pain breaking the speedo thing is... I need to find one now...

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:54:46 am
Sectorsteve,
Singh5g has excellent videos on the removal and install of the front weel..just do a search on YouTube with singh5g in the search box...
BTW, I resolved the muffler issue..I went to a local muffler shop and had them use their hydraulic expander to increase the diameter from  1 1/2" to a tad above 1 5/8", it took them about 5 minutes, they very slowly increased the diameter without any damage to the pipe, (I used a EMGO universal Dunstall muffler) the muffler smoothly slid on perfectly over the header...problem solved.
Picture attached
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:03:03 pm
Ill def check that vid out bullet man and nice clean job on the exhaust too , well done!! Thanks JVS , ill follow that and also check out sings video. the back wheel is a breeze. i never thought the front wheel would be that hard.
So i just bought a new speedo gear thingy from hitchcocks. metal one. i nver liked that ugly plastic thing.
i really wanna go riding tomorrow , so up with a clear head and take the speedo cable out. ride around for a week or so no speedo. all good.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 01:20:40 pm
I couldn't give you a play by play on reinstalling the front wheel, but I do know it didn't give me a lick of trouble, so hopefully you'll figure it out soon!  If you do need to block the wheel up to support it, maybe find a wood shingle or two to use as an adjustable shim - get it just the right height.

Most of us are able to estimate our speed more accurately than our speedos can, so don't worry, just ride!

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 01:42:58 pm
that is true matt! ill sort it tomorrow!

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 03:30:42 pm
Sector,
This is a complete long-shot, but when I removed my front wheel I somehow placed one of the washer-collars into the axle hole on the wheel.  When I was trying to reassemble and push the axle through, it wouldn't fit.   It was a complete rookie move, I have no idea how I did it, and I'd be surprised if your circumstance was the same but it's worth mentioning.

I thought I was going mental when that axle wouldn't fit in. I had pictures and videos of removing the wheel and I still missed it.  I seroiusly thought I was losing my mind.  Good luck.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 11:08:37 pm
I thought I was losing my mind too! I' took the guard bolts off too, . I did get it all lined up but I had to use a screwdriver to use as a lever to pull the fork apart to get The big spacer in between fork and speedo gear- which I them busted and is now rattling around.the big bolt is about 90 percent in now but that last 10 percent is just bouncing off something on the other side.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 03:39:20 am
I thought I was losing my mind too! I' took the guard bolts off too, . I did get it all lined up but I had to use a screwdriver to use as a lever to pull the fork apart to get The big spacer in between fork and speedo gear- which I them busted and is now rattling around.the big bolt is about 90 percent in now but that last 10 percent is just bouncing off something on the other side.

The Big bolt ?.....  Do you mean the threaded end of the axle?  It's actually very easy to take the wheel off and on. Or should be. And you don't need anything in there to lever.   You don't have everything lined up properly. Your axle is likely just getting hung up on the lip.  Pull the axle back out , and coat it with a thin layer of grease.  Then line everything up and slide the axle through. If it gets a little hung up,  just tap it through with the palm of your hand... or tap it through with a mallet.  If it wont go through.... your not lined up.   Start the axle through the lower leg and into the wheel... grad the rim by the spokes with your left hand and lift it and line it up. Then tap it through with your right hand.  Put a block of wood under the wheel if you need to help you get it close.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 03:44:16 am
Well it's actually not so hard. I am a goose.
On the disc side (left) I had the washer inside the fork. This was stopping the bolt going through. Easy when you know how! Now I can't wait to do it again!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 03:50:12 am
  He..he...he..  Glad you got it Steve.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 05:20:32 am
It helps to take a few digital photos of the assembly from several different angles before taking anything apart.
Often, they will remind a person what goes on first and where that strange extra spacer or doohicky goes when the time comes to put things back together. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 05:59:30 am
So true jim so true and I normally do but I was still a bit drunk from the night before so my brain was mush. Had I done that it would have been sooo much easier. I just had a diagram that showed what order the washers went on the shaft.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:03:46 am by Sectorsteve »

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 04:58:25 pm
If You Hunt on Ebay, You can find a metal speedo unit to replace the plastic. I'm planning this in the future.

**Pinch Bolt Trick: Remove pinch bolt, find large fat screw driver, Gently tap screw driver blade into slot held together by pinch bolt, this will slightly expand hole enough to move axle easily, Don't get carried away & break anything.  This will work on any pinch bolt situation- even gear shift pedal levers etc.

Personally tested over 50 years & verified to work, By Craig McClure
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 10:39:41 pm
I bought a new stainless one from hitchcocks