Author Topic: Back on the RE G5 for two weeks  (Read 2331 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: August 01, 2013, 10:09:32 pm
So I have been back in the saddle for about 2 weeks now.
I really do love my RE G5.

Its running great. Its looks as good as new. I love the new saddle bags and saddle bag mounts.

One odd thing the "Diamond Crash Bars" I had ordered with the bike, well they didn't fit. Apparently the O2 sensor in the exhaust gets in the way.

So I am going to have to have them returned and get something else. Its so odd to me that the catalog said they would fit and they don't. They are a dealer too.

I love the bike, but crash guards would be great especially since I have paid for them.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:09:36 pm
Since you didn't mention your shoulder I guess it's feeling pretty good, and I'm glad for that.

I think someone modified their diamond bar to sit a little farther out at the top by welding a big nut on as a spacer to keep it a little farther out from the down tube.  You might need a longer U-bolt too, easy enough.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:14:37 pm
I really do love my RE G5.

One odd thing the "Diamond Crash Bars" I had ordered with the bike, well they didn't fit. Apparently the O2 sensor in the exhaust gets in the way.

So I am going to have to have them returned and get something else. Its so odd to me that the catalog said they would fit and they don't. They are a dealer too.

I had used about 1 inch spacer (tube) and longer screws to fit them to the rectifier/regulator (picture below) and crash bar fits between down tube & RR.  There is absolutely nothing in the way of the diamond crash bar.  Nothing to weld and no need to return it.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 11:42:57 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:37:25 pm
Here's a link to how I installed my Crash Bar which also interfered with the O2 sensor.

You could use a large hex nut in place of the piece of octagon rifle barrel if you don't have a muzzleloading rifle laying around.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10876.0.html
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:13:43 am
I knew it was something hexagonal.  Made like a gun...

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:48:46 am
If you take a close look at an Iron Barrel Military, the factory crash bar mounts are longer on the right than on the left.  It actually mounts at a slight angle to clear the round head pipe.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:50:38 pm by D the D »
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 03:32:49 pm
Thanks guys. I will print this out for the shop and see if they can make it happen!
Woo hoo! Because I like the simplicity of the look of the diamond bars. Very simple.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 04:18:50 pm
As for the broken collarbone. It is still in a healing process. I am in a lot less pain. But the pain flares up every now and then. Not on painkillers anymore.

I am able to ride and function etc. I just can't do any heavy lifting for another couple of months. Truthfully for a broken collarbone I was lucky it was a very clean break. But had I been wearing armor I suspect I wouldn't have broken it.

So now I wear an armored mesh jacket, boots, armored pants and helmet pretty much every ride. I was wearing a helmet during the accident and it saved me from having a more serious injury.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 07:24:44 pm
I really like the mesh jackets out now, I have one.  I'ts as close as you can get to riding in a T-shirt.  I've seen a few post from people who have wiped out in them.  The jacket gets trashed but it seems the riders all walked away just a little sore.

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 08:26:04 pm
I really like the mesh jackets out now, I have one.  I'ts as close as you can get to riding in a T-shirt.  I've seen a few post from people who have wiped out in them.  The jacket gets trashed but it seems the riders all walked away just a little sore.

Scott

I love mine!  Cool and armored.  Great investment; much cooler and way cheaper than a leather one.   They look good too!

P.S.  Check out closeouts and discontinued at places like Bike Bandit.  You can get last season's fashions at half price.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:28:20 pm by D the D »
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH