Author Topic: Carb to Head rubber tube  (Read 2317 times)

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
on: August 01, 2013, 07:57:05 pm
What was the replacement that has been recommend for that, mine is starting to dry rot pretty good and I would like to replace it as soon as possible. I know it was some kind of radiator hose or something. I just wanted to get reminded of the consensus as to the best replacement.

I have an ACE Canister so I know that the rubber tubing for that will work but I wonder if their is a similar plumbing part? and would said part work post carb or would the air/fuel mix destroy it?
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:15:55 pm
I just took my carb to Pep Boys and they let me dig around the bins until I found a fairly straight radiator hose that fit tight.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:35:56 am
With the standard Mikarb 28mm, I use a 1.25" I.D. radiator hose, cut to the same length as the stock rubber hose, and use two good stainless band clamps.

Lasts much longer than the stock hose.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 05:34:12 am
Radiator hose still going strong after four plus years on mine.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 01:07:06 pm
Buy a 1 Ft. length and you'll be good for the next 20 years.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:40:53 pm
We used to do the same thing with the 1979 Triumph Bonneville. There are advantages to radiator hoses. They're cheap, strong and available.
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 03:32:57 pm
Thanks guys, I thought it was radiator hose, but I had this part of me saying that fuel air mixture might not go with that rubber, that mayne it was something else. But yeah Ill just take it off amd get some radiator hose.

Also of note in this area is this possible concern...  And mayne I should start a new post but I'll just drop it here for now...

The throttle cable goes in the top of the carb...  It has a 'protector' of some sorts that covers the last bit of cable and kind of attaches to the top of the carb. This part is cracked and rotting, I am thinking about using some liquod electrical tape to reseal and reinforce it.

Thought? 

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 03:39:28 pm
If you're talking about a little rubber boot that goes over the throttle cable and snugs over the adjuster screw where the cable goes into the carb, it's not really that big of a deal.  They're used mostly on dirt bikes to keep water and dirt out of the carb, not an issue if you mostly ride on the street.  If you're worried about it you can pick up a replacement from any motorcycle shop that sells dirt bike parts, or just wrap some electrical tape around it.  I personally wouldn't use liquid electrical tape as it might bond the cable to the adjuster making it a PITA to remove the cable when needed.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 05:54:53 pm
Roger wilco, that makes sense. I'll go for the electrical tape.

Thanks!

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 07:56:47 pm
The silicone tape that you stretch and it seals to itself and fuses after 24 hours is really good for things like this.  Unlike electrical tape, the adhesive doesn't get gummy when hot, it doesn't slide or get sticky.  And it's really waterproof.  Comes off easily by slitting with a knife or razor blade if you need to change the cable later.  No gooey mess on your fingers when you remove it.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH