Author Topic: integrated LED tail light  (Read 1613 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 08, 2013, 11:13:31 pm
Just bought this integrated brake light/trafficator/license plate holder from amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/RinglitĀ®-Motorcycle-Signal-License-Integrated/dp/B0096YQPJG/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1375986224&sr=1-2&keywords=led+brake+turn

LED lighting threads:http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,3881.0/all.html

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16239.msg176762.html#msg176762
I've read these great threads on LED lights, and in most cases it looks like people need to install LED trafficator switch units for the LED signals to work, but since this unit is sold as a universal one-step solution I was wondering if that'll be the case for me?  Maybe this is a direct swap and install on more modernized bikes, but our enfields still need the electronics upgrades since our stock bulbs are all incandescent?

Anyone have thoughts on this?  It won't be here for a month or so, so I have some time to figure it out... i think it ships from the moon.

Chuck

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:24:34 am
The taillight/brake bulbs are available by themselves from Super Bright LEDs. Still don't understand the big fuss on the turn signal bulbs. It's not like the incandescents don't work, but the LEDs don't so why bother. The turn signals aren't likely to take away much more power from the electrical system as little as there supposed to be on. Since one could install the turn  signal indicator LED, now you can actually see whether or not the bulbs are on.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:58:37 am
Haha yes, after reading those posts it's hard to justify the effort for LED turn signals.  In my case though, I'm in the middle of a stripped down custom project where I'm either shortening or maybe removing the rear fender altogether.  I want to get rid of all my stock trafficators, and for the brake light and rear trafficators I've already purchased the LED fixture at the Amazon link above.   

The all-in-one LED fixture is supposed to be a super simple, plug and play rewire from the stock wiring harness.  After reading the posts on our beloved RE forum, I'm thinking that it may not be so simple with our bikes.

I'm assuming I'll need the same apparatus' (apparat i) that these other folks needed to make their LED bulbs work in the stock housing, but I was looking for insight and/or confirmation of that fact.  The all-in-one fixture won't be delivered for about a month, but I want to have everything ready and waiting at that time.

Hoping that this thing will work for me.  Does it look like I'll need new LED compatible 'blinking' modules like the others who've done the LED bulb swap?

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 02:10:11 am
Since they don't give any real tech info it's impossible to tell until you try it.  It may have resistors built in to work with standard flashers, but that would contradict the "low consumption" the description states.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 03:58:54 am
Right, I guess this is something I'll just have to try and see.  From what I've read in the other threads, it seems the simplest thing to do is just add resistors to the signal connectors, but like you said, that's negating the energy savings.  I do also agree with Bare's thinking that it's not that big of a deal for the signal lights since they won't be on constantly.

Well... to be continued, once the fixture arrives.

Chuck