Author Topic: Sticking brake  (Read 1920 times)

Khecari

• Scooter
on: July 29, 2013, 06:24:08 pm
I'm a new owner, got an 07 bullet 500 a week ago. The front brake is sticking. I can manually get it to release by pushing up the lever arm on the wheel but it sticks again next time I use it. Thoughts?

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:20:41 pm
Lubrication on the pivots, brake cable and controls would solve this problem.  Start with a light oil (30w) on the pivots that extent into the brake cover, then get a spray can of cable lube down the cable or, get a plastic bag, remove the cable, sheath and ferrule from the  control, cut a small hole in the lower corner of the plastic bag, insert the cable and sheath through the hole, secure the bag to the sheath using a rubber band, then add a 20 ml of light oil to the bag, suspend the bag so the oil slowly migrates down the cable, leave it to drip overnight, in the morning, everything should work nicely.  In the event that does not work, you will need to open up the brake drum and see if one of the springs is broken or the pivot corroded.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:12:59 pm
The brake cam that spreads the shoes is probably hanging up. You need to take the brake apart and lightly grease the moving bits. Keep it off the linings!
bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Khecari

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:19:22 pm
Oiling the pivots did the trick.  Thanks.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:13:28 am
Good job.

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:33 pm
I have this same problem and I lubed the parts on the outside but until I figure out my tire swap situation I made a temporary fix that most of you will call crazy like a fool, but it works.

I hooked a spring to the outside of the lever and took off one of the acorn nuts for the fender braces and rigged it to that. It works great and I really don't want to take apart the wheel and drum brake until I have to. besides if it is the internal spring that broke I would think I would hear it rattling as I slowly rotate the front wheel, but I am nearly certain it is just sticky levers and whatnnot.

but since in other posts I have mentioned the removal and replacement of the front tire, when I do that I am going to take a look at the front brakes because I would be foolish not to while the wheel is off. I still have good stopping power especially after my most recent adjustment, but just to be safe I want to know that they are wearing evenly. I have NOT done the Hitchcocks mod to the brake adjuster, so I believe if I am adjusting them correctly and the levers are parallel, the brakes should be wearing evenly for the most part.

AANNnnnnnd... now another question, what would the general consensus be on the wear time of properly adjusted and NOT hard ridden front brakes.

All this goes back to my attempting to get more confidence in my bikes ability to be ridden long distances, not ridden hard, but for the foreseeable future it is my only means of transport.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:26:06 pm by GreenForce82 »
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:38:52 am
 Based on previous experience with other drum brake equipped bikes my guess is 40,000+ miles.

Mud tears up shoes and drums so avoid that and your fine.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:13 pm
Hey thanks for the link, I was looking for that!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.