Author Topic: Now Electrical!  (Read 6078 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 06:58:55 pm
reichel,
When you get it all sorted out, during bad weather you'll be so bored you'll go looking for another project to work on!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 08:33:24 pm
Hello Scott, Sorry so long to reply. Bobby installed Dynojet Power 5 Commander #27-001 (PCV F/I,08-10,ROY,EFI Models). So far it idles well and has guts to it. A bit more tweaking to be done. Still finding wiring problems though.
Thanks.

I have the PC-V as well, and am very happy with it ......... reichel, do you know if your installer used the base map that came installed on the PC-V , and just ran that?  Or did he use it as a base, and further tune it on the Dyno ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 10:22:44 pm
So is this NOT the PC unit that was out earlier that people reported problems with?  As I recall, the early unit would occasionally report RPM spikes for no reason and throw things off accordingly.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 11:13:14 pm
So is this NOT the PC unit that was out earlier that people reported problems with?  As I recall, the early unit would occasionally report RPM spikes for no reason and throw things off accordingly.

Scott

??? ??  Was there problems with an earlier version ?  Or was it how the map was set up, or how the bike was tuned ?  If the fuel corrections are set up  TOO lean for the bike and how it's set up, yeah the bike will buck and surge.  Especially if the corrections are made too lean, in the upper rpm's .   You can easily tell, just by looking at the fuel corrections on the computer screen as the bike is reved up. Negative numbers are fuel taken out from the stock ECU map, or a base map that may be used. Positive numbers are fuel added.

The map that came with mine, which is for a stock bike with intake changes if I remember correctly? Was certainly not too lean for that configuration.   That base map was used on mine, but of course altered to match my bike.   I think there was an older version , where you could not raise the rev limiter ?..... But on the latest you can. Mine works fine....

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 11:19:43 pm
The problem was reported by a few people with the Power Commander.  The PC would report huge rpm spikes, like 12k, that weren't really happening.  Of course when the PC saw one it threw more fuel at the engine so it didn't run right.  The problem was the PC, not the bike or the map.  There was a video of it somewhere.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 11:49:22 pm
The problem was reported by a few people with the Power Commander.  The PC would report huge rpm spikes, like 12k, that weren't really happening.  Of course when the PC saw one it threw more fuel at the engine so it didn't run right.  The problem was the PC, not the bike or the map.  There was a video of it somewhere.

Scott

Video's not working....  But yeah, you will get rpm spikes or what appears to be high spikes on the computer screen......if your too lean. It happened to me... nothing wrong with it.  I was just too lean. It's just erratically hitting the limiter and running like crap, because the fuel isn't set up right for the bike ..... Un-tuned is all. When I was done with the engine modifications we did and ran the bike , I saw some spiking.. . But once the bike is tuned, your fine.  The fuel ,and perhaps ignition, has to be corrected  for any particular bike and it's modifications.... like any other.  The PC-V isn't gonna throw fuel at it, or take fuel out by it's self. It's only going to correct fuel, according to what was programmed in the map, or as the tuner .... tunes it on the Dyno.   There is an add on to the the PC-V, called an auto tune. That will adjust fuel to a target AFR.... but that target number is set by the user. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 12:07:49 am
Yes, sorry, it was not throwing more fuel at it since that wasn't in the map.  It was just the apparent RPM spikes that the PCV was showing.  And yeah, I couldn't see the original video either.

Are you using the PC Auto Tuner, or have you used it on anything else?  If I'm going to get one of these down the line I may as well do the tuning myself.  The unit is about $250, I can't imagine a tuner is going to charge me any less to get it set up.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 12:53:49 am
Yes, sorry, it was not throwing more fuel at it since that wasn't in the map.  It was just the apparent RPM spikes that the PCV was showing.  And yeah, I couldn't see the original video either.

Are you using the PC Auto Tuner, or have you used it on anything else?  If I'm going to get one of these down the line I may as well do the tuning myself.  The unit is about $250, I can't imagine a tuner is going to charge me any less to get it set up.

Scott

If it's the same Video I remember ?  I do remember seeing A LOT of negative numbers.... But, I have no idea how the gentleman's had his bike set up, as far as intake, exhaust, and or engine mods.  Whether he was using the mildly tuned map that came with it, and it was lean for some reason? or fuel was corrected that way ?   Dunno....

And no Scott. I'm not using the auto tuner. Locally here, the price of a full on tune, no matter how long it takes. and it don't take long.... is $260. And 60 bucks if you just want to pull it on the Dyno a few times, to see how you've done with any work you have done on it and etc.   IMHO..... Definitely better done on the Dyno !  But, that's not practical for some. No access to a Dyno, constantly making changes to their bikes, just want to play around with the AFR's and do it themselves ?  Then the Auto tune might be the way to go.  But you need a good base map to work off of, or it will take a while  and a lot of riding to get it right. And even then..... you would probably not get it as good as if done on a Dyno.   I would try one though..... But just quicker, easier and more accurate for me to do it on a Dyno....

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 01:07:09 am
My idea on the auto-tune is that it may take a while but it will get done right eventually.  I don't know how good the tuners in town here are or what their attitude is like.  Will they laugh at my tiny little air cooled single and not feel it's worth their time?  Do they have the ability to build a map for an unfamiliar bike from scratch?  Many tuners mostly work from a map that's close to what they're after on a bike that has been tuned by every shop one hundred times over.

And I'm not sure I'm that serious about it anyway.  If I ever do get to it, it will probably be a few years down the road.  Too much other stuff going on in my life these days.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 01:34:19 am
  Yeah, I think it would be fun to try, definitely.  And a good tuner IS important. for sure.  And it's actually surprisingly very quick and easy for them to build a map.... There just reading the display, looking at what the tail pipe sniffer is telling them as far as AFR's, and using THEIR better auto tuner on their Dyno, which also gives them immediate info as to what those changes were, and what the result was.  Then they just tweak the numbers to suit. Very quick and very interesting to watch. .....  heck , you see dirt bikes and Quads in there now a days.  They'ed probably be happy to see something different for a change.... 

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 04:21:19 am
I bought my G5 deluxe used & after a bit of "sorting" it runs like a BIG loud Watch.  Stick with it & look carefully at everything, Ease tight or kinked wiring, Locktite All parts.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure