Author Topic: Now Electrical!  (Read 6089 times)

reichel

• Scooter
on: July 29, 2013, 01:17:53 am
The other day I wrote in about my missing foot peg & appreciate all the reponses. New developement is I ran out if gas on the highway no reserve light anymore. Then left rear turn signal quit (bulbs OK) and indicator light soon after. I am coming to a crossroads with the Bullet. I've owned many bikes over the years 1969 Bennelli 125, 1969 Harley Sprint and about 12 other Harleys & Misc jap bikes. I have never experienced so many problems so quick on a bike that just hit 1000 miles. Thoughts?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 02:19:51 am
Use your warranty to get it fixed?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:45:12 am
To quote my riding buddy: "There's nothing wrong with your Enfield a Honda dealer can't fix."
As in: He thinks my RE is a worthless pos junkbucket while I think of it as a hobby.  Really, burnt out lights, bad blinker relay?  My Mercedes does that and I could buy 10 new Enfields for what it cost.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:41:23 am
Check wiring and connectors, especially inside the headlight, but everywhere else too.
Royal Enfield ownership demands a certain, uh, philosophical attitude. The quality of the bike you get is purely a matter of chance. They aren't assembled by proud Japanese craftsmen, but lashed together by under-trained field workers just happy to be indoors and getting a wage.
You have to learn to love it, mend it, forgive it, enjoy the unique ride of it.
I do, but I don't trust it. If I'm going far, I take the Japper.... ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:37:57 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:17:31 am
The other day I wrote in about my missing foot peg & appreciate all the reponses. New developement is I ran out if gas on the highway no reserve light anymore. Then left rear turn signal quit (bulbs OK) and indicator light soon after. I am coming to a crossroads with the Bullet. I've owned many bikes over the years 1969 Bennelli 125, 1969 Harley Sprint and about 12 other Harleys & Misc jap bikes. I have never experienced so many problems so quick on a bike that just hit 1000 miles. Thoughts?

My reserve light blew a couple of months back too which I found out when I spluttered to a halt. In fairness, I've had the bike three and a half years and 12,000 miles - yours should have done a lot better. The electrics on this bike are just appalling, there is no other word. Why can every manufacturer other than Enfield in 2013 can produce a wiring loom that doesn't guarantee frayed wires and shorts on a regular basis? I long ago reduced my bike to 20 mile runs within a local radius and use a properly manufactured Moto Guzzi V7 for all longer rides. Yesterday I decided to put a bit more faith in the Enfield and do an 80 mile round trip. All went well until it died at traffic lights about five miles from home with another total electrical failure. Another blown fuse, a new one put in and got back with no further problem. I looked for frays or loose connections and couldn't see anything but then again with a mess like this bikes wiring I hardly know where to start. It's a pity when it is so enjoyable to ride when it runs and I thought Enfield might have improved in the last couple of years given the reputation that must be building up but it seems from your experience that nothing's changed. I guess they sell what they make without having to care about improving them but one day there will be real competition in the Indian market. Until then however...

reichel

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 03:52:18 pm
Thanks for the replies. My bike is no longer under warranty. 2 years are up. The bulbs are good, it seems things are just failing. Love the bike but not being able to trust a 10 mile ride? It's a $7000. wall ornament!

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 04:10:08 pm
She'll be good and reliable once you work through the bugs.  Some people just can't or don't want to and I understand that.
It's a shame the bikes come that way, but that's the price of having the classic old style bike.  I'd trust mine to go 100 miles now.  But not when I first got it.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:59:08 pm
For what it's worth....I got my 2011 C5 bullet in June of 2012..With 206 miles on it. I had the very scary and horrible wobble issue..which I have "kinda" solved with the help of this forum..( I just wish that RE would have attempted/tried to help me resolve the horrible and scary wobble issue. Specifically since they knew that a 19" front rim would have solved my problem...maybe they still might  ;)  it will shown good customer service on their part) but all the same I have Completely trusted my bike to pull through for me in all occasions...I now regularly do around 300 miles round trips in a 24 hour period and have no issues..she runs really smooth :)
I have had my share of Fuse blow outs and "wiring gone bad"  ;D.  But overall its minuscule compared to the enjoyment I get from riding my bike..
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:32:30 pm
It was 50 miles for me to get to my dealer, so short rides were never on my itinerary. In 16,000 miles, I had one fuse blow. I replaced the battery with an AGM early on simply because I don't like wet cells on motorcycles. The junker chain chain made it to 7,000 milrd with a lot of a adjustments. The Skidmasters made it to 2500 before dumping me on my butt. I thonk I put in the NGK plug at about 300 miles. That one lasted 15,000 miles before I changed it simply because I had more. I don't think I blew any bulbs, but I did replace most of them with LEDs so I could see them when the sun was shining. the only real problem I had with the Enfield parts was an underperforming headlight. It would get about a 1 volt drop from the battery to the headlight, so after several months of trying to find the cause, it had to have been in the switch box, I think, because the dimmer side had been replaced after the the bike was rear ended. At any rate I finally direct wired the headlight through relays and cured the problems. Anything else that failed was my doings attributable to aftermarket parts. I can't blame Enfield for that. And Jack and I did a lot of 250-350 mile rides in a day. We were never stranded.
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 05:06:17 am
...........I have never experienced so many problems so quick on a bike that just hit 1000 miles. Thoughts?

vibration is the gremlin in this machine.
the engine smooths out after about 1500 miles.
shift later than you think.
I don't know if the warranty is transferrable.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:09:52 am by gremlin »
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

reichel

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 03:51:33 pm
I thought I would give an update to those interested. Took bike to a friends shop. Bob Eckna at Big Bottom Bikes in Oakdale, LI, NY. He fixed my wires and installed a Dynojet fuel injection module and put on an original bullet exhaust. I now have a bike that performs like a 500 and idles without stalling. As far as my future with this bike we will see. If it can't hold up to normal riding I will be looking for a 69 Harley Sprint 350ss like I had years back. Carry a condenser & points with you and no worries.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 04:24:11 pm
Glad to hear the good news. 

Ride the crap out of it  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 06:28:38 pm
sorry to hear about your bad exp. i had a couple of shorts from where the loom rubbed against the head and crank case. that was in the first 1500 k, now approaching 15000k and the bike has performed perfectly. i ride everywhere every day and head for the hills every week or so coz the motor feels better after 5 or6 hours running at hi speed\temp. blows out all carbon from the city riding i guess. id trust it to take me anywhere.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 11:03:43 pm
Glad you're back riding.  Just curious, what Dynojet unit did he install?

Scott

reichel

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 04:36:17 pm
Hello Scott, Sorry so long to reply. Bobby installed Dynojet Power 5 Commander #27-001 (PCV F/I,08-10,ROY,EFI Models). So far it idles well and has guts to it. A bit more tweaking to be done. Still finding wiring problems though.
Thanks.