Author Topic: Removing fork tubes from headlamp casing (without destroying either)  (Read 4262 times)

JamesJoeyKing

• Scooter
I am elbow-deep in the restoration of a Royal Enfield that we believe has been patched together from different years.  It's a Bullet 500, with a 535cc bore kit, and is listed on our title as a '66 model, but apparently they did not make 500cc Bullets in '66... anyway, we are trying to do a complete restoration, including refinishing the frame, but we cannot do this without disassembling the front fork completely.  We're trying to figure out how to remove the fork tubes from the headlamp casing, without crushing or mangling any surface that may require a seal in the future when we put it back together. 

Any tips? We have a manual from the original dealer, but it is a tad confusing.  Any help is appreciated!

-James

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
If your bike has the standard Bullet cassette then you will remove the wheel then loosen the lower tree clamp and then unscrew the fork tube caps on the cassette and then insert a hex head of a bolt (check for fit and use a nut with a washer and another nut to lock the three together) use this homemade tool to unscrew the fork tube from the cassette. If you are removing the cassette you will need to loosen an angled set screw (hex drive) from hole beneath the handle bar clamp.

Good luck with this project of yours.

Brad
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
You can also use the long stud that holds the footpegs on. Also remember to turn the stud or allen wrench clockwise when looking down from the top of the headlamp casing to loosen it. Sometimes you need to heat that area also.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
 The threads are Left Hand there, right?

I've never figured out why anyone would use left hand threads there.  It's not like the fork tubes are really moving parts.   :o
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
No they're right hand thread but when you unscrew the fork tube most people think it's like removing a bolt from the top. You would have to turn the fork upside down to turn it counterclockwise. I think I explained that correctly.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
You're screwing it down out of the fork, is all...

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Exactly.   ERC