Author Topic: The one that got away...  (Read 2118 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
on: July 28, 2013, 08:05:37 am
 G'day good people . Just a quick heads up... whilst doing an oil and filers change I noticed one of the retaining bolts to the primary chain tensioner housing had taken extended leave. replaced it , and applied loctite to both. I imagine this housing is subject to slightly more and or a different harmonic of vibration on account of the tensioner contact and primary drive. the one remaining was slightly loose. Suggest checking may be in order . G5 , Dave , melbourne ,cheers.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 03:38:56 pm
Thanks for the heads up on the loose bolts, good that you caught it before something bad happened.

I am a little confused.  Why did you open up the clutch side of the engine?  Did you think there was a problem in there?  I don't normally remove the clutch side cover to do oil changes. :-\
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:27:00 pm
On the UCE, the chain tensioner bolts are on the outside of the engine.
They pass thru the bottom of the left engine case to hold the automatic tensioner in place.

The bolts are 6mm X 20mm long. (P/N 570030, find no 1, page 14, Illustrated Parts List )
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:21:27 pm
Thanks for the explanation Jim. 

Now I understand, the bolts are on the bottom of the engine, if you are under there, doing an oil change, you might notice something amiss. 
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:36:51 pm
You should open the port in the primary case and see if the chain is loose. If it is, then you need to check the adjustment. You'll find the buggered parts when you try to adjust the chain. You don't need to take the cover off for this operation.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:28:56 am
 Thanks Bare,that's a good idea.It didn't seem to have dislodged the gasket seal at the time , but  this arvo I noticed a very slight weeping of oil around it after a highspeed (relatively) run down the freeway .
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.