Author Topic: Riding in the rain/on wet, oily roads  (Read 10197 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 10:26:42 pm
Has anyone mentioned painted lines on the road?
Many of them are very slippery when they get wet.

I'm talking slippery to the point that while making a turn I've felt the front tire start to slide sideways and the rear tire slip  sideways enough to move the whole bike when some power was being applied.  That will make your butt pucker as it grabs for the seat!!!
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 12:16:27 am
+1   ::)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 12:23:01 am
Has anyone mentioned painted lines on the road?
Many of them are very slippery when they get wet.

So today was my last day of my MSF class, brought this great flourescent rain jacket and some leather gloves for when it rained. Well about 2 hours in the class the skies opened up on us. One of my classmates ended up hitting the deck when he used his brakes through a turn and lost control. Cracked his face mask a smidge and he had a swollen pinkie but it he was ok; it made everyone much more aware of the water though. We waited about 45 minutes for the rain to stop and eventually called it quits due to persistent lighting/thunder. I had ridden my RE to the course and waited around for the rain to let up and once it was a light drizzle I hopped on the bike and headed out. I learned a lot of things on the ride home, which was about 5 miles, and this was one of the tips that stuck in my head.
I avoided painted lines, especially when starting at a traffic light. I made sure I was on straight pavement to avoid skidding out. The first mile went smoothly and I was feeling a little more comfortable. I did feel the bike sway at times (on top of the rain there were wind gusts from the east) but I maintained full control the whole ride back. If it weren't for the fact I didn't have rain pants, I really didn't mind the rain, it was actually pretty fun. It really made me focus on everything I've learned about riding safely.

After 18 days of riding, I've logged 153 glorious miles, and met a lot of cool people. Looking forward to performing the first service on her around 300 miles!
2013 B5 Bullet 500

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 03:00:45 am
Congratulations on completing your course and discovering another enjoyable facet of life on two wheels.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 03:09:55 am
For those of you who live in California, just stay off the bike during the first major rain of the season. Typically we get the "big rain" in October. After a few months of no real rain all the oils come pouring out of the asphalt, so much that you can see foam forming. The roads are so slick in this condition you can barely drive a car. One time I drove from UCLA to my apartment in Santa Monica (15 miles) on surface streets during the first big rain in months on October 15 and every intersection and I mean EVERY intersection had an accident. I have ridden my bicycle several times in the first big rain and fallen while going straight! It just isn't worth the risk. Park the bike and call a friend or a cab. It isn't worth dying for.
Rocket

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 10:25:14 pm
If you live in an area that still has a few brick streets, avoid them in the wet. Extremely slick!
Also the center of a lane. That dark stuff in the middle of the road is oil. Can be slick especially around intersections.
Doesn't have to be raining.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 12:41:38 am
I came to realize some years ago, that my 1972 Triumph Tiger 750 was magic, or I lived a charmed life. Living in the south, it is possible for the young & hardy to ride all year combating cold rain with waxed cottons. Riding to work daily in Atlanta Georgia, I used to cut through Ansley park Headed south west. There was one intersection with a sweeping left feed & a yield sign. One very cold morning I got my first introduction to BLACK ICE there.  Coming through that sweeping left turn, it was to late to do anything when I saw it. I didn't change the throttle or brake, I just slithered right across it & the street, still upright, Until the patch ended close to the far curb. At that point I was able to brake & turn hard on the dry pavement I had reached. I couldn't believe my good fortune not having fallen. Later I learned several cars crashed there that day.  Just one of many fond memories of close calls. That Triumph saved me (or indirectly caused) quiet a few.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 04:09:36 am
Thanks john as to how to make rain x in the lab (in my case...the embalming lab). I had quite a bit of luck over the years running my wax polisher over the windscreen of my cage. Turtle wax doesn't do a half assed job, but rain x, the real stuff, and its actions was always elusive to me. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:16:40 am by Desi Bike »
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 08:10:00 am
Watch out in parking lots too.  We tend to park out bikes to one side or the other of oil spots, but if you step onto the wet oily spot, you may slip with one leg up in the air and 400+ lbs of bike helping you meet asphalt.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 06:49:32 pm
Lest we forget...
Over the last few years the road crews have been using a new crack sealant made with some kind of silicone rubber instead of real tar. This crap is not only useless for filling cracks, but is slicker than hell in rain or shine. Especially when wet. When turning I have to negotiate these carefully or start slipping. Pucker factor shoots way up!  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.