Author Topic: C5 vs Vespa 300  (Read 9853 times)

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 02:49:59 am
All it takes is one person in heavier traffic applying their brakes enough to drop 5 - 10 mph to cause the cascading effect that results in traffic coming to a stop within 1/2 mile behind them.  I watched it occur in front of me, saw the first person apply their brakes about 1/2 mile in front and all lanes from that person back had brake lights coming on in a wave of harder and harder braking such that by the time it reached me traffic was stopped.

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 03:12:51 am
What is the issue you guys have with the clutch? Is there some problem "fanning" the clutch on a UCE? Is the clutch difficult to replace?
Rocket

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 05:27:41 am
Clutches like to be engaged.  Any slipping is friction which creates wear and heat.  When trying to go slower than the machine wants to go with no throttle, you have to either be on and off the clutch or slip it.  Friction and heat = wear = shorter life.
It's not something you worry about in day to day driving, just the stop and roll or uneven slow roll driving during rush hour backups.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 05:56:04 pm
If you're going to be on a fast section of California freeway neither bike is a great choice in that average speed on the freeway may be near your top speed.  I've been in Cali and just stayed in the right lane without issues.    Neither bike has industry leading quality control but Vespa probably has a better established network of dealers and knowledgeable mechanics.

That said, just go ride both of them.  They are worlds apart in the way they ride and feel and you'll only know that after you ride them.

Another bike to consider would be the new Honda 500 twins.  Three different bikes with basically the same motor and chassis.

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 07:07:42 pm
The UCE clutch is about as durable as motorcycle clutches come. I've put mine through the paces with over 500 pounds loaded on the bike stop and go in the mountains, lots of starts in second and third and heavy trials style off-roading. Only problem I had was a loose nut that holds on the clutch basket that wasn't related to the flogging I do to the bike.

As far as the scooter goes, ask the same question on the modern vespa forum. One of the moderators says motorcyclists suffer "motorcycle penis syndrome" when it comes to attitudes toward scooters from motorcyclists whereby motorcyclists are unable to distinguish the difference between their penis and their motorcycle.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:27 pm
if you've got it, flaunt it!
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 03:56:45 am
I have a 2011 Royal Enfield C5 and a 1980 Vespa P200E.  I think the Vespa is rated at 65 mph, the RE at 82mph.  I realize the 300 Vespa is a four stroke automatic versus my P200E which is a 4 speed 2 stroke.  If your just planning to ride surface streets the Vespa is great.  For freeway riding I prefer something with a longer wheel base and taller wheels.  I think the Royal Enfields are about the minimum bike I would take on the local freeways (Dallas).

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 03:00:48 am
As far as the scooter goes, ask the same question on the modern vespa forum. One of the moderators says motorcyclists suffer "motorcycle penis syndrome" when it comes to attitudes toward scooters from motorcyclists whereby motorcyclists are unable to distinguish the difference between their penis and their motorcycle.

Their just jealous that the RE wheel base is WAY over 10 inches.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 11:21:14 pm
 My Bullet serves commuter duty year round. Also hauls eight bags of groceries, two cases of water and a passenger. It's heavy compared to modern trail bikes but does surprisingly well in the rough. Maintenance is a breeze and parts are only a phone call away. Road trips of a few hundred miles only whet the apatite for more.

In short my Bullet takes me everywhere I want to go and some places I probably shouldn't.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 12:30:32 am
I suppose it depends on whether you are a "Mod" or a "Rocker".
Do you want a scooter or a motorcycle?

I was once gently informed by a fellow poster here ......'you are a mod,rockers know who they are'....

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 03:42:42 am
I was once gently informed by a fellow poster here ......'you are a mod,rockers know who they are'....

That rings true.