Author Topic: C5 vs Vespa 300  (Read 9864 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 05:16:50 am
I don't think you guys have experienced what the 405 can be like during rush hour when it's stop and roll.  It's stop and roll, no speed, slipping clutch if you don't want to stop cause in gear at idle you'll run into the car ahead of you.  UCE isn't special any more than Harley, Honda, or Suzuki.  The heat and slipping isn't good.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 06:43:56 am
in that case he needs a bike with a fully auto gearbox. i think honda made such a bike in the early days.
here in oz the honda postie bikes are good for high kl

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 07:11:44 am
And you can stash a coffee in the front glove compartment drinking whilst in traffic. Autos are pretty good really...

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 07:52:55 am
 Ride the Bullet.! Why are you even contemplating this question? Here is an imaginary scenario.... Is a cage driver more likely to pull out infront of or cut off : A bullet.... or a guy on the meek 'n mild vespa. not to endorse any stereo types or whatever but perceptions count for a lot.Also the bullet wins in quick avoidance. My first set of cycle wheels was a lambretta. Rode  a mates re-engined 60's vespa the other day and found it terrifying! Still, whatever floats your boat. :).
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 09:59:12 am
I ran a 400cc Burgman for 6 years, wind rain or shine. Great weatherproofing, and capable of sustained high speed cruising (80mph).

It was a great machine, as are most maxi scoots. But, it was just a machine. I really liked it, but I love my electra.

That's the difference.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 10:03:12 am
+1

This is very very true. Being a daily rider on firstly the Vespa and now the C5 I can honestly say that incidents with cagers are rare as now. Also you have more grunt which enables you to get around/away for efficiently

Ride the Bullet.! Why are you even contemplating this question? Here is an imaginary scenario.... Is a cage driver more likely to pull out infront of or cut off : A bullet.... or a guy on the meek 'n mild vespa. not to endorse any stereo types or whatever but perceptions count for a lot.Also the bullet wins in quick avoidance. My first set of cycle wheels was a lambretta. Rode  a mates re-engined 60's vespa the other day and found it terrifying! Still, whatever floats your boat. :).

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 04:08:07 pm
I don't think you guys have experienced what the 405 can be like during rush hour when it's stop and roll.  It's stop and roll, no speed, slipping clutch if you don't want to stop cause in gear at idle you'll run into the car ahead of you.  UCE isn't special any more than Harley, Honda, or Suzuki.  The heat and slipping isn't good.

I am not familiar with the 405.  I thought it was legal in CA to split lanes?  A frequent poster on this forum says he does it all the time.  Slipping the clutch and overheating would not be an issue? 

Just asking.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 04:25:59 pm
I am not familiar with the 405.  I thought it was legal in CA to split lanes?  A frequent poster on this forum says he does it all the time.  Slipping the clutch and overheating would not be an issue? 

Just asking.

+1

I live in Denver, where traffic can be a real bitch rush hour, but lane splitting isn't "legal".  But I tell you what, if traffic is stopped and there's a shoulder, I'm riding on it.  I never go faster than 30 mph to be safe, but it sure beats standing still on a hot ass day with my cast iron twin cooking my crotch and legs.  And, I've accidentally passed cops doing this a few times.  They have never harassed me.  Then again, I learned it from them, the bike cops that is.

Anyways, I've always had the mentality that scooters are for kids and queers.  (And I have gay friends so I'm allowed to say that  LOL   ;) )  And I know there a lot of grown men out there that are proud to ride scooters, and to each their own.  But I wouldn't want to trust the HP of a Vespa to get me up into the mountains.  Nor would I trust the handling of a scooter to get me out of a bad situation.  Plus I've seen Hardley Ableson riders be real dicks to guys on scooters, for what ever that last statement is worth.

Why would you NOT want to take the C5?    ???

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 04:50:55 pm
I have never, EVER, looked at ANY scooter and felt my pulse rise by even the tiniest fraction. On the other hand the sight of almost any motorcycle (even a Harley ;D) has the power to provoke a state of instant reverie and longing. That's the difference to me. Living life with passion.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 04:59:02 pm
I've got a RE G5 and a 1981 Vespa P200E.  The small wheels of the Vespa don't put me off at all.  I really like them both machines.  The centrifugal clutch and CVT and smoothness of the new Vespa 300 would be great.  The underseat storage is super convenient.  FWIW I'll bet the Vespa is faster off the line but they would be fairly well matched for top speed.  I think real world HP on the UCE Enfield is around 19hp and the Vespa 300 is about 18hp.  You'd have to ride them both on the same day, and picture riding each as you're dozing off to sleep and you'd have your decision in the morning!

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 04:59:30 pm
Its a biased crowd here. But a C5 is a damn good motorcycle. I would look for the c5 special with the 19" front tire and 18" rear. People love em for good reason.

I ride a G5 and its just a blast. It gets lots of attention and has enough muscle for me. The vast majority of my riding is around Dallas, and sometimes Farm to Market type roads into the country. I have zero desire to take it on densely packed freeways and overpasses in Dallas. But Im pretty certain it would be fine.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 06:06:23 pm
Hey, I'd ride the Bullet.  I think scooters are for Italian and French girls to ride in cities.  My niece has one she rides in DC.  Her ex-husband looked totally girly boy on it.
Last week I got stuck on Indianhead Highway during rush hour and was overheating my Bullet in the 96*F temps.  I went on the median shoulder, did a U-turn and took the back roads.  Would never have taken a scooter on a highway myself.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 08:41:03 pm
Lane splitting by motorcycles/scooters in California is totally legal, even with the traffic moving.

I don't like the idea of riding between two moving cars because the idiot drivers could swerve sideways at any instant but I've done it when the traffic is only moving at 5-10 mph.

I've never figured out California freeways.  They will be moving along at 55-60 mph and then suddenly slow to a stop.  After a minute or so, they start moving again back up to 55-60 mph.  No accident.  Nothing special to see.
Totally weird. 
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 12:11:33 am
I have a 2011 Vespa GTS 300 and a 2013 Royal Enfield Military.
Either one could serve the purpose of a commuter "bike" IMO.  If I had the misfortune of being stuck frequently in stop and go traffic, the twist and go (no shifting) Vespa is far more pleasant to deal with.  On the other hand, if you encounter rough roads and pot holes, the RE's larger wheels seems to handle them somewhat better. 
If I HAD to choose one or the other, I suppose I'd go with the Vespa.

Here's mine...

1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 01:22:56 am
Hey, I'd ride the Bullet.  I think scooters are for Italian and French girls to ride in cities.  My niece has one she rides in DC.  Her ex-husband looked totally girly boy on it.
Last week I got stuck on Indianhead Highway during rush hour and was overheating my Bullet in the 96*F temps.  I went on the median shoulder, did a U-turn and took the back roads.  Would never have taken a scooter on a highway myself.
i
Lane splitting by motorcycles/scooters in California is totally legal, even with the traffic moving.

I don't like the idea of riding between two moving cars because the idiot drivers could swerve sideways at any instant but I've done it when the traffic is only moving at 5-10 mph.

I've never figured out California freeways.  They will be moving along at 55-60 mph and then suddenly slow to a stop.  After a minute or so, they start moving again back up to 55-60 mph.  No accident.  Nothing special to see.
Totally weird. 

Totally weird. 
i call the phenonom the slinky effect. think about it.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet