Author Topic: C5 vs Vespa 300  (Read 9868 times)

crock

• Bulleteer
on: July 27, 2013, 06:50:07 am
Trying to weigh the pros and cons of a C5 or a Vespa 300 for my daily commute. I ride 18-20 miles one way, with about 4 miles on the freeway (SoCal 405). I see the pros of a Vespa being better parts supply, better reliability, easier maneuvering, more acceleration, and somewhat better top speed. The pros of a C5 being better comfort, and better stability. If the C5 has a light clutch and good gearbox that could sway the final decision. The big negative with the C5 is that the Vespa is a solid 60,000 mile machine. I am not sure what to expect with the C5.
Rocket

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 07:54:47 am
Only 4 miles on the 4 or 5?  Water cooled beats air cooled if you get stuck in stop and roll traffic.  Also the clutch issue if you don't like being in neutral while stopped.  Slow roll where you're on the clutch a lot is hard on Enfield clutch too.  Not sure about the Vespa centrifugal clutch either though.
Hate to say it, but the Vespa beats the Enfield if those are the conditions.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:18:08 am
on the other hand i'd be surprised if anyone will ever come over and say "how olds your vespa mate" but it will happen on the c5
ask me how i know - i've had two.
either way only you can decide what is the right choice ;D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 06:28:30 pm
I suppose it depends on whether you are a "Mod" or a "Rocker".
Do you want a scooter or a motorcycle?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 06:49:32 pm
Enfields Rule!
I rode a couple of scooters in my younger days and I found them to be very wobbly and unstable. Didn't like them at all! A friend of mine had a Suxuki 400 Bergmann and I rode that. With the bigger wheels it wasn't too bad, but the thing weighed more than my motorcycle. I could see no advantage weth it other than the enormous amount of storage it offered. And my buddy seemed to fall off it a lot making me wonder about its stability, too.
I guess I'm just a Rocker at heart!
Bare
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:08:44 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 07:28:37 pm
What is the issue with the clutch? I figured the C5 would be pretty good rolling along at low speeds because  that is what you need in India. It is kind of hot there too.
Rocket

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 07:32:10 pm
What is the issue with the clutch? I figured the C5 would be pretty good rolling along at low speeds because  that is what you need in India. It is kind of hot there too.
I have not heard any issues regarding the clutches in the newer UCE engine Bullets.
The older vintage Bullets had clutch issues, but they are no longer being made.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 10:31:57 pm
Two completely different animals.......and fit different personalities.  If you wouldn't want to be seen driving a minivan, then go for the C5!

Personally, I think scooters are a lot more unstable with their smaller wheels and wobbly sitting position.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:30:49 pm by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 11:55:27 pm
No one respects scooter riders.

Trolol.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 12:22:46 am
Can't compare scooters to motorcycles. It is a totally different ride. Personally I don't like scooters, can't steer them with your knees. However I can put them side by side.

My daughter rides a Honda sh300i which is a scooter with the larger wheels. Probably the best there is, for a scooter that is. Absolutely reliable, never an issue. Excellent acceleration, she beats me at 150 meters. Superb in stop'n go and easy for filtering. If that's the goal then that's the ride.

The EFI bullets have no problems with the clutch. Perhaps a little luck is involved, my dealer can't stop praising how swift and smooth mine shifts. If you're allowed to lanesharing, the bullet is a good tool. Otherwise if your doomed to slow shuffling it will not be pleased, it wants to be ridden.

If you're annoyed with strangers coming up to adore your ride, then by all means go for the scoot.

Looking forward for the verdict.
Either way may it give you the joy and the delight both my daughter and I derive from our respective rides.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 01:08:02 am
vespa = twist and go, good commuter, however a pita to work on. all the cables are in the machine and with 60k on it it will need something soon. those newer vespas arent like the older engines. the engines wear out. the older vespas last forever,the newer ones would if you were willing to spend a stupid amount of money on it. Then again you arent travelling far and i dont know how much it is. I had both up until a few months back - mine was a manual vespa though. It was a bit heart breaking, but for me the enfield C5 won over the vespa. great fuel economy, good storage with saddle bags, comfortable, safer in the wet etc etc.i do not miss the little wheels and gayness of the vespa.
The C5 is a great commuter. this is exactly what i use it for.

avandr

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 02:04:29 am
I have to agree with crock, I visit India on a regular basis for work, you can walk faster than the traffic in some parts, however the RE's don't seem to suffer in the heat and just keep on going with mum, dad and 3 kids on board.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 02:37:43 am
Two totally different animals.
 A hopped up scooter vs a RE?
If you like scooters that 300 seems to be tempting.
  I prefer "commuter motorcycles "over a scooter.
 But you are the one that has to ride it.

Maybe the scooter would be better for daily use, such as grocery shopping and riding in heavy city traffic ( white lining and side walks).
Don't let Royal Enfield parts/spares become a deal breaker. Its not that bad.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:40:07 am by REpozer »
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 02:49:17 am
Although the Vespa 300 information shows the top speed to be 80 mph like the Royal Enfield, the horsepower shown is only a little over 21.

I suspect the RE's 28 horsepower would like cruising at 70 mph on a freeway better than the Vespa's 21.  I know that my 2011, G5 can easily cruise along at 70 mph.
No, it doesn't have a lot of power left to get up to 80 so it doesn't like the Interstate superslabs where everyone is driving at 85-90 mph but I'm betting the Vespa folks were a bit optimistic on their 80mph claim.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 03:33:15 am
I did a little research on the Vespa 300.  IMHO the Vespa with its 12" wheels would not be safe to ride much over about 55 mph.  RE's have 18" or 19" wheels, depending on the model you are looking at, larger wheels are much more stable at high speed.

Just my opinion. 

Best of luck to you,

:) :) 
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati