Author Topic: Detailing your Royal Enfield  (Read 2888 times)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
on: July 26, 2013, 06:20:19 pm
I think there are many threads on the technical aspects of the RE but nothing on the physical maintenance and detailing of the motorcycle.
I would welcome all forum members to share their views, secrets, products and tools used in keeping their REs gleaming and shining. Cheers !

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:21:20 pm
I made a thread last year on how impressed I was with BlueJob at keeping the chrome spotless.
 http://www.blue-job.com/

Found the tread...
   http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12227.0.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:59:27 pm by Desi Bike »
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:09:49 pm
To keep it corrosion free, spray it with ACF50. As for looks just keep it clean and waxed. Beware of spray waxes, they can get into places that you can see, but not that you can reach. Then you have white overspray that is a royal pain to get off!  Just get one to apply by hand, then it only goes to places you can reach.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:37:30 am
In between washes I use Meguiars Quick Detailer spray to clean painted surfaces and NevrDull on all my chrome and polished metal.  After every wash I use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Synthetic Wax.  Stock up on microfiber towels, they're a detailers best friend.  Wash the towels with colors and air dry, DON'T PUT THEM IN THE DRYER!  You will surely regret it.  Also, if you drop a towel on the ground while detailing set it aside and grab a fresh one. Otherwise you'll likely scratch your paint.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 03:00:35 am
NUMBER ONE RULE:  KEEP IT INDOORS WHEN NOT IN USE. This will nearly eliminate UV aging & rust.
I keep wax on my chrome & paint. I use DUPONT SPRAY "DRY CHAIN WAX" it prevents oil sling mess. Mines oil tight, so not much else to do. I like MOTHERS ALLOY POLISH on aluminum side cases & fork legs.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 06:29:39 am
NUMBER ONE RULE:  KEEP IT INDOORS WHEN NOT IN USE. .......

I used to, but, SWMBO said the couch was needed more than the bike ......  So, in came the couch - and - the bike sits outside in the rain .... :( :( :(
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 07:26:03 am
Detailing?  :o  That's a waste of good riding time.  :P
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 06:53:31 pm
Sitting in the rain makes ACF50 even more of a necessity!
That's as bad as leaving your dog out in the rain
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 07:50:38 pm
gremlin
If you have room for it and you don't already have one, I suggest that you spend $60-$90 and buy your bike one of those outdoor pop up dining canopy's.  The kind with the steel framework and cloth top.

Shortly after I got my G5, not having a garage to store it in I bought a 10 foot X 10 foot canopy and it's sit out there in the Arizona sun for over 2 years without any damage.

Although the sides are open it does a nice job of protecting the bike from rain, sun and dew.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 06:36:42 pm
Hey!  It's "MADE LIKE A GUN" Only simple Muzzle or breach loading cannons, to big to be indoors stay outside. If you want a gun to work, you must store it properly. I keep mine inside.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 04:21:11 pm
For engine fins and similar hard to reach areas, I use a kettle snout brush. These are thin and have enough bristles to clean the fins spic and span. Similarly for wheels, bottle cleaning brush is my best bet.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 06:28:31 pm
The engine side cases and wheel hubs are polished raw aluminum.  Since they are not clear coated they will deterioate over time.  If they get badly pitted it's tough or impossible to bring them back.  Polish them once in a while with any metal polish, by hand or with a polishing wheel.  Help keep them shiny with a coat of wax, a wipe down with kerosene/diesel, or a spray of ACF 50.  Make sure you don't get any of that stuff on the brakes ;)

Scott