Author Topic: British bike warehouse ashfield Sydney full of goodies  (Read 4301 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Stumbled across this place today, corner of parramatta rd and Frederick st ashfield. It's basically a shop front and a whole block of spares. A lot of stuff. In the shop front the are tanks, metal panniers, engines, sprockets, tyres, mufflers, seats all the good shit , mostly second hand. In fact I think it was all second hand. It's all for BSA, triumph ariel royal enfield etc but it's all old stuff. I bought a set of used tyres for 139. Metzlers. Pretty stoked to find this place. Not too good for non Aussies though...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:50:33 pm
Wow! Sounds like a gold mine, Steve!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:49:26 pm
Start hoarding  ;D ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:18:38 am
Oh yeah, saw this place too... chock full of old stuff!!! Will have to walk in to check it out!
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 10:43:24 am
A bloody gold mine indeed. I passed it about 100 times til I saw it. I'm excited.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 01:46:48 pm
buyers beware here.the guy in there is a piece of crap. turns out the tyres he sold me were over 10 years old and he tried to make them look new. i spent money, time, rental car etc running the wheels over to the bike shop to get themto fit the tyres but they are so stiff and brittle that the beading was busting up. took the tyres back and he just didnt wanna know. he told me that i chose them over the new ones he showed me. he never showed me any new tyres and they are hidden. liar. he told me the tyres were fine and that i should get about min 10000 km on them. i phoned fair trading and they said toy give him the choice to either A return my cash, or B sell me some tyres that are usable as the ones he sold me are not. Yet another asshole in business...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:36 pm
buyers beware here.the guy in there is a piece of crap.

The guy already seemed like a big tool when you mentioned -

Not too good for non Aussies though...
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 02:20:17 pm
all i meant by that was that he is in sydney!
no intergrity. i run a business, provide a service. if i stuff up or customers not happy i give the service for free, or i rectify - everytime. some peoples default is just "cunt" i nearly got into fisty cuffs with the guy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:46:38 pm by Sectorsteve »

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 02:32:29 pm
Oh, my bad!

And yeah, thanks for notifying us about this. I was almost going to go to that shop as it's close to my uni. But nah, I'm good now.

Regarding the tyres, it is a good investment to get brand new Dunlop K70s. The 3.50x19'' are going for around $108 a piece and the 4.00x18'' are going for about $114. Most bike shops are able to special order these through the main Dunlop dealer who is based in The Rocks. My stock tyres are okay for the time being, but I will upgrade to the K70s in the future.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 02:45:53 pm
yeah its a shame but oh well. he is trying to sell the business so hopefully someone cool buys it.
id love k70s but i thought i couldnt get em for my bike.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:48:47 pm by Sectorsteve »

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 02:49:47 pm
A few members have K70s on their C5. I think "GSS" would be able to elaborate on this. He has K70s on his C5. Have a look here http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16881.msg185682.html#msg185682

And this thread for further discussion regarding RE wheels/tyres - http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10916.0.html
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:52:12 pm by JVS »

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 03:47:28 pm
Here's links to the Dunlop website I posted in Tech Tips.
For those that keep asking if it's safe to use the Dunlop 3.50-19 K70 on the rear, here's Dunlop's webpages showing it is  Front/Rear tire.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/road/vintage/k70/
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitment-guide/search?type=fitment&make=23&model=679&year=755&submit=
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/road/vintage/k70/
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 11:55:52 pm
yeah its a shame but oh well. he is trying to sell the business so hopefully someone cool buys it....
Unfortunately, people like this don't change their ways.  Whether selling a tire or a business he'll try to screw anybody within talking distance.
Most buyers would recognize him for what he is and avoid buying his business even at give away prices.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 03:42:21 am
Fair trading here said to give him the option of either refunding my money or selling me tyres that work. He said that I tried to save money and it bit me in the bum. Asshole! He can do it the hard way!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 05:23:03 am
Yah.  If he was worth a shit he wouldn't have sold you the old tires in the first place or if he did he should have said something like, "These are pretty old and they might be dried out.  If you have any problems mounting them, bring them back and we can work out something on those new tires over there."
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 05:53:14 am
I agree. I would never do that to someone. I wouldn't even try to re sell them if i lose out. He obviously is pretty stoked he sold them knowing they are shit cause he won't sell me new tyres instead. He actually said"you tried to save money and it bit you in the ass" 

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 11:01:03 am
Sectorsteve,what a bummer. My understanding of consumer law is that if he sold you something that was unfit for the purpose he is obliged to replace it or give you a refund. I'm not sure if this applies to used goods though. Either way, this guy clearly had no regard for you or your needs and was only after the contents of your wallet. Not really the way to build the goodwill that is crucial in any lasting business. I can recommend the k70's, they're cheap and sticky. If you're ever in melbourne "Pablo's" will fit them for 120$ each. Cheers.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 12:57:11 am
It is a bummer. Its more the blatant, intentional betrayal that gets me over the money. money is just money. I will never understand why someone will want to intentionally screw someone else for a few dollars. The hassle he is going to get is going to far outweigh the $130 he gained.
Supposedly im legally in the right although some second hand goods arent covered - but according to the Fair trading - the second hand tyres are,  and they were sold to me to use on my bike but this isnt possible.
Lately things have been pretty annoying. This stuff is happening all around me and to others. This city man... i wanna move to the country. Its bollocks.
Me and the missus have a small catarmaran. We just moved to clovelly beach. a beautiful little quiet pocket in sydneys east with coastal views. We thought we'd rent a bit to see if we like it here. Its such an amazing spot but in a short time very disruptive things are happening here. We signed a 12 month lease. I parked the boat next to cemetary behind another boat. No cars around. Within a few weeks my boat, another boat and a trailer were all sprayed "fuck off" on.
So i moved it. removed the paint and parked it on the otherside of the cemetary where there are many boats and no houses. within a month all boats had tickets. for having a wheel on the grass. I moved boat off the grass. Come back a month later, all boats have tickets now for even parking there. They had installed a new sign "no boats" which is the reason for the new ticket. I moved the boat completely now and am in the process of selling it.
After 2 months living here the owners of the whole building sent a letter saying they are selling the building through a third party agent .open inspections to potential buyers 2 times a week for a month. Everything agent has said - the opposite happened. Place sold and took about 6 weeks to settle. The day it was settled, the agent was here, builders were here. New buyer is a big property development company. Theyve told us me and another guy cant park out bikes where we have been(off the street) they are removing the storage shed we all use and our outdoor dining set and our bbqs. This is just a block of 4 flats, its tidy, nice but internally the flats are tiny. So now we are probably gonna move again because they want to develop the property while we are living here. Diggers to level the property, tradies everywhere. Im getting exhausted fighting with these people. All the reasons for us moving here are now void, ie off street parking, peaceful and quiet, storage shed etc.
Sorry, needed to put all this down somewhere...

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 01:22:27 am
That all really sucks.  Sorry to hear that, we only think of that stuff happening here in the States. 
1975 XLCH

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 09:47:43 am
don't let it beat you down steve ,it ain't personal. its just a consequence of living in a big city that provides little opportunity for local community to develop where people are forced to be selfish and scramble for every lousy dollar just to stay afloat. a few years ago i lived in a great block here in st kilda with a fantastic community communal vege gardens,swings for the kids,really supportive neighbors ect. and many of us drank together at the local boozer as well. but sure enough along came a developer from the rich side of town ,bought the block and kicked us all out  gave the place a coat of paint and doubled the rent. shortly after the pub was sold as well and turned into a boutique gay bar with ten dollar beers. so we saw the complete destruction of a long established community All in the name off progress and economic development. i went to about 5 Or 6  Funerals a year for the next five years as people struggled to cope with the disruption to their lives. the human cost of blind profit. one day the human race will find a better way of sharing our resources but it won't be until we get past fossil fuels over population and the blind pursuit of economic growth at any cost.  until that day comes brother hold on tight cause its gonna be a bumpy ride.:)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 10:36:19 am
what we really need is an international conspiracy of enfield riders secretly ruling the world.  Enfield people are good people.:)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 11:12:02 am
Wow Dave thanks for that. Made me feel better. Puts things in perspective. It isn't personal this is true and I needed to hear that. Can't focus on it.
You're right though. The stuff is happening everywhere . The houses/flats they are building here are junk, but they are selling them for top dollar. We actually moved from our last place because across the road they whacked up about 4-5 20 storey  apartment buildings in 2 years and they are still drilling and building. Unbelievable. Dust, noise, traffic. Nightmare! These developers say " we are creating affordable housing " this is not true. They are making crap and charging 500k + for these 2 bed places made from gyprock. I'm 40 and have a pretty great business. Many of my friends here are successful in what they do, but due to the expense of the place , no one can buy. The only people buying the last 2 years are developers. First time home buyers have been pushed further away. Our place that's been sold here is tiny. 2 bedroom and about 45 sqm. The agent said the other day "obviously the new owners want more rent" we pay $480 per week and anymore than that isn't worth it, but they'll paint , level the garden etc and put the rent up. Finally my girlfriend has decided on the benefits of moving up to Avalon. It's still Sydney but beautiful and has that community vibe you spoke of. It's a great place to ride Sydney. I love it for riding and I love it on the enfield more!
I lived in st kilda in 2001. 26 Godfrey st and Carlisle st.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 11:25:25 am by Sectorsteve »

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 11:26:55 am
im self employee and make quite good money also but its almost impossible to get a home loan in that situation and as you say house prices are insanely high in this country. my plan is to keep saving and then go bush and build what i want so i leave something substantial for my kids. still, i guess when you look around at how others have to live in poorer countries you have to concede we have it pretty good. although , homelessness is a big problem down here. i find my bike is a great antidote to politically induced depression. always puts a smile back on my dial. cheers.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 11:30:14 am
ps, did you ever come for a beer at greyhound?

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 11:50:57 am
Yes this is true. Me and the missus looked at a place yesterday. Ideal. Little house up in Newport, northern beaches. Advertised 670k offer on for 700k. Apparently the downstairs section was made without DA so you gotta spend about 80 to the council this to sort that one out! I'm all for the going bush idea. I spent a lot of time in Tasmania. I love south Australia too. We are lucky here. I spent over 15 years living abroad, mostly Europe, but a few years in Asia. A lot people aren't even allowed to do that because of where they're from. Eventually I just wanted to be back down under. I'm a kiwi so I went back there, to Wellington, but then I met my Missus and ended up back in Sydney whe she's from. After the tsunami I lived in Sri Lanka for 6 months building houses. I'd sold all my things after living in Sydney and was going back to nz to do audio engineering, both the tsunami happened and I just wanted to go to Sri Lanka to see if I could do something.  I spent every last cent I had there, but it was so rewarding. Got involved with independents from all over the world building and getting houses and water to the people. Was like a war zone.  Slept on concrete slabs where a house once was. I remember worrying before going what we'd eat and drink. Once we Started working food and drink came. Sri lankans can make amazing feeds from a few ingredients. While I was there developers arrived. The east coast of Sri Lanka is a gem but totally wild and undeveloped. The developers saw this as an opportunity. The Sri lankan president bought a 3 million pound home in London shortly after the tsunami. A lot of money was pouring in from everywhere. All the houses we built in arugam bay were destroyed by the government under the idea that it wasn't safe for people to live so close to the ocean anymore. This cleared the way for the developers to make heli pads and hotels. Mostly Chinese.
What is wrong with people!!!

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 11:54:03 am
The greyhound....dunno Dave. May have. I often stopped in random pubs but never really had a local. I was playing live music in the winery in a duet though and opened a club called " the goodshed" at the docklands in an old wool shed. The one that runs between the co shop and the stadium. An investor/developer got involved and he was yet another c...

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 03:58:21 pm
what we really need is an international conspiracy of enfield riders secretly ruling the world.  Enfield people are good people.:)

Oh gosh, now you went and done it!  Jesse Ventura is going to do a show on Enfield owners and H2 or TLC will run it over and over and over...
1975 XLCH

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 04:04:33 pm
People know they're doing wrong, but justify their greed by claiming it's for the greater good, helping the people, moral imperative, etc, etc, etc.  It's just justifying their greed.  Why would a President of a Pacific Rim country need a $3 mil house in London?  To help the people of his country by being present in Europe of course!  And don't even get me started on the frauds who use religion to justify being greedy, self serving, Dicks.
1975 XLCH