Author Topic: 2007 Bullet Classic Iron Vs. 2008 Bullet Classic AVL?  (Read 9579 times)

Snobrd

• Scooter
I have a hold on a 2007 Bullet Classic with the classic iron head and points etc..
Simple question: Should I wait for a 2008 Bullet Classic AVL?
All opinions and reasons appreciated.
"Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth."  Lillian Hellman

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
2007 RE Bullet Classic
Deep River, CT

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:32:06 am
Go with the 2007...  it's a proven design. The only reason that it's being drooped is the anti pollution crapola being legislated world wide.

Why wait??   - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

deejay

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 12:41:59 pm
I have a hold on a 2007 Bullet Classic with the classic iron head and points etc..
Simple question: Should I wait for a 2008 Bullet Classic AVL?
All opinions and reasons appreciated.

No way, get the Classic. Newer isn't always better, plus you'll be getting one of the last classics ever made. There's a reason why it's been around so long.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 01:18:40 pm
I would go for the iron engine while you can still get one.  No contest.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 04:03:58 pm
And then for the other side of the coin.....The AVL is less demanding of maintenance. Will probably last as long or longer. A little bit more powerful and get better fuel economy.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 04:08:00 pm
  Both are good motorcycles. But the Classic iron engine has been around for like 50 years.The AVL will only be around for a few years, as its about to be replaced already by the newer "unit construction" engine. I wonder if the short production run will affect parts availability in the future?
    I bought the Classic iron-engined Bullet.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

abe

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 04:29:29 pm
I would go for the iron, I have an 07 Classic and could not be happier.  Get one while you can!

abe out...

Snobrd

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 04:34:05 pm
Many many thanks.  You all have confirmed my initial feelings.  When I found a brand new 2007 green classic, I put the hold on immediately.  I am hoping to take delivery in the next two weeks.  This BBS is wonderful resource.

2007 RE Bullet Classic
Deep River, CT

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 05:53:39 pm
   I got the British racing green Classic also. I have always liked that color. But, then, I also like the white,the silver.......

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 08:38:42 pm
If it's a green one, that's another reason to go for it.  The green ones are the fastest.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Snobrd

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:17:12 am
 :)  They don't call it British Racing Green for nuthn'.

2007 RE Bullet Classic
Deep River, CT

blackadder

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 05:48:04 am
I was lucky enough to get one of the last iron jugs on my '08 Military. I'm sure the new engines are good but but it's good to have a old school engine on an old school bike!
C. Loyd, -2008 RE Bullet Military, 2006 Triumph Speedmaster

michigandon

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:18:00 pm
Can't go wrong with an '07 green Classic!!!  ;)

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:43:06 pm
or any color or a delux.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 03:32:54 am
I'll vote for the iron engine....I sought a '07 holdover specifically because I wanted a Bullet built several months before termination of the old design. My reason was simply to get an example before the mfg'r wound down the production and possibly the
final '08's would be built from the remaining bits AND with less concern for quality.....
 Call it paro-skepticism,but I don't ever buy at the first of ,or at the last of a production run.....
Also,I read an evaluation of the AVL bike by a Brit moto-journalist whereas he
 candidly stated that anyone expecting the new engine to behave(THUMP) as
the iron engine would be severly disappointed.....that's all I needed to read....

Sam in IN

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 03:45:36 am
gee ma
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 03:55:19 am
oops.... maybe they wont weep oil. whats he talkin about? a one lunger is gonna thump. it may not sound exactly like an iron barrel but they all have thier sound. the stock muffler just about totally muffels the stock bike . so most people put on some kind of custom pipe. i would listen to one  and possibly test ride one before i came to any firm conclusion.and maybe listen to one with an aftermarket pipe
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Prairie Hunter

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 11:02:22 pm
Just took delivery on a 2008 Bullet Classic (black).....iron motor, couldn't be happier!
2008 Classic Bullet ES "Bettie"
2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
REA Member #13

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 01:44:15 pm
Not only are the Iron Barrels out of production making them a 'collector item', but the ol' iron barrel engine looks like an Enfield should, unlike the AVL which looks like it's got a case of the finney hives all the way to the top of the head.  The UCE looks better than the AVL IMHO, and as pointed out, the ol' Iron Barrel's been around for 50 years.  Success like that can't be sneezed at!  And no black boxes either! 8)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

deejay

Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 02:22:31 pm
Just took delivery on a 2008 Bullet Classic (black).....iron motor, couldn't be happier!

CONGRATS!! Lets get some pics of it

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 04:58:30 am
You guys are hurling my feelings ;D Eveybody seems happy with what they have. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 04:47:21 pm

Good for you, Prairie Hunter!  You're going to love it... these bikes have character... BUT, one proviso... pay very strict attention to the break-in instructions in your owner's manual, and follow them to the letter, and you'll not be sorry.  These bikes really do need to be broken in as indicated, with all the proper fluid changes when called for, top and varied speeds while riding, no lugging, etc.  Listen to and 'feel' what the engine is telling you.  Shift gears as needed, and run the engine 'easy' as you gain the miles, and it'll give you great service.  Takes about 2000 miles with the proper variations in speeds, increases, etc.  for it to be well broken in... and even then, it won't particularly like speeds much above 65 a-tall though you can get more than that out of it! :)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 BMW F800ST

Prairie Hunter

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 05:10:17 pm

Good for you, Prairie Hunter!  You're going to love it... these bikes have character... BUT, one proviso... pay very strict attention to the break-in instructions in your owner's manual, and follow them to the letter, and you'll not be sorry.  These bikes really do need to be broken in as indicated, with all the proper fluid changes when called for, top and varied speeds while riding, no lugging, etc.  Listen to and 'feel' what the engine is telling you.  Shift gears as needed, and run the engine 'easy' as you gain the miles, and it'll give you great service.  Takes about 2000 miles with the proper variations in speeds, increases, etc.  for it to be well broken in... and even then, it won't particularly like speeds much above 65 a-tall though you can get more than that out of it! :)

Break-in shouldn't be too much of an ordeal.  I've got a nice, easy, 15 mile commute to work on decent pavement during off hours--not a lot of traffic to worry about.  I've only got 50 miles on it at the moment (been off work since I got it, start back on Monday).  I'm already collecting supplies for the 300 mile oil change--wanna be ready for it.
In the FAQ, under "dealer wanting to break-in bike", there's mention by one who would know about "drive it like you own it".  That's the plan--drive it like I own it, and want to own it for a LONG time to come....
I've no need for speed.
2008 Classic Bullet ES "Bettie"
2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
REA Member #13

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 02:59:47 am
Getting back to the GREEN Classics, is it true that riding a Green bike has the same effect of eating GREEN M&Ms  ::)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 05:45:14 am
    I don't know about the effects of eating green M&Ms, but when other riders see me on my GREEN Enfield, they turn green with envy....

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Huffer

• Vespas fear me
  • Scooter
  • I brake for . . . long distances
Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 08:29:27 am
I wonder if Bullet sales will go down in the US after the iron engines run out. The AVL engine just doesn't have the correct classic look IMO. I believe most US buyers want these bikes primarily for the "classic factor." That was certainly the case with me, and I wouldn't have purchased one with the AVL engine.
2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe--last of the iron-barrel Bullets.
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100--last of the carburetted Bonnies.
1974 Norton Commando Roadster--last of the "proper" right side shift Commandos.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 04:09:51 pm
If you give great care to your machine, then there's no difference whatsoever.

I chose aluminum because of a little less stringent break-in and electronic ignition, (I hate fussing with points).

AVL is better at shedding heat and the iron lung is prettier. Otherwise, samey same. :-\

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 04:12:53 pm
I wonder if Bullet sales will go down in the US after the iron engines run out. The AVL engine just doesn't have the correct classic look IMO. I believe most US buyers want these bikes primarily for the "classic factor." That was certainly the case with me, and I wouldn't have purchased one with the AVL engine.

I think the opposite might be the case.  Up until now, Bullet sales have been limited to those interested and willing to deal with the iron barrel engine.  There might be more people willing to buy with a more capable engine.  For myself, the fact that the technology level was similar to the old Volkswagens I've had was a plus, but I also got my Bullet for many other reasons - great fuel economy, nice size, and most important in these days of cruisers and power ranger looking sportbikes, it looks like what I think a motorcycle should look like!  I mean, I don't hink the AVL is that different.  It certainly wouldn't have stopped me.  In my book, whether it's the classic iron barrel engine, the AVL, or even the new UCE, there's still no bike out there like the Enfield!

Eamon
Eamon

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 04:33:08 pm

There are only two differences that are obvious at a glance:
1) The AVL doesn't have a painted cylinder
2) The AVL primary has more rounded edges that are much closer in looks to BSAs and Nortons, etc. than the Classics sharp-edged cover.

I believe the AVL-based Classics have a painted cylinder don't they?

matt

prof_stack

Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 05:11:38 pm
Another variable in this equation is the current and rising price of fuel.  I'm sure RE is getting a boost in sales as demand for cheaper transportion increases.

The AVL motor in the Classic, Deluxe, and Military models has painted barrel.

For me, the Electra-X AVL motor without painted barrel looks better, reminding me of my former '78 Yamaha SR500 motor.  That motor had electronic igintion, too.  It also let me adjust the valves.  I also prefer the AVL left side view. 

The upcoming USA version of the UCE will probably have painted barrels, just to keep some of the purists happy with that look.

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 10:20:07 pm
I think the new UCE looks a bit more like the old Iron Barrel (I got one a those... yippee!) and wouldn't have bought an AVL 'cause it looks like it's got the 'finney measles' all the way to the top.  I like the plain valve covers on the old Iron Maiden, and on the new, clean, UCE.  I'll probably keep the Iron, and spring for the UCE when once they hit the states... just for funsies... IF I can sneak it past "Die Weib",  ::) who sez I need no more than 2 bikes (the Beemer and the RE).
Ralph Meyer
2010 BMW F800ST

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 02:51:56 am
I think the new UCE looks a bit more like the old Iron Barrel (I got one a those... yippee!) and wouldn't have bought an AVL 'cause it looks like it's got the 'finney measles' all the way to the top.  I like the plain valve covers on the old Iron Maiden, and on the new, clean, UCE.  I'll probably keep the Iron, and spring for the UCE when once they hit the states... just for funsies... IF I can sneak it past "Die Weib",  ::) who sez I need no more than 2 bikes (the Beemer and the RE).

Heck, I've got 5 bikes now. Just tell her you were going to buy 2 and out of respect to her you eliminated one. ;)
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #32 on: July 12, 2008, 04:30:52 am
Gotta agree with the professor, I kinda like the look of the AVL with the unpainted barrel and the cooling fins all the way to the top. I wonder if one of those Indian market Twin-Spark heads would fit?

charte

• Bulleteer
  • Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 04:25:15 pm
I think I responded to another one of these iron vs. avl posts, but I'll chip in if y'all don't mind.

I own one of each.  The 500 AVL seems to have more power up and down the band, and definitely gets better mileage.  It performed well at 14000 feet even, and didn't loose much power....I just had to crank up the idle screw a bit so it wouldn't stall.

To put that in perspective, I tried to light a victory cigar at that height and it wouldn't light.

However, as many experienced people on this site have stated so many times, a Bullet isn't about going as fast as you can, so I'd say they are both great engines, and go for the bike you like best with the right colors, price, options, etc.

Regarding a previous comment about the thump, I've heard an avl with an old style short silencer, and it thumps nicely.  I think the main difference is that the older irons (like my 69) have a short silencer, hence it's louder.  The 2007 with avl has a silencer that must be twice as long.

I hope to try a twin spark soon.  If I do, I'll put a report on the site with my view.

1969 Bullet
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic
2017 Moto Guzzi VII Special

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 05:45:14 pm
When I first got interested in REs several years ago, I wasn't ready to buy (changing careers, masters program, etc), so I kept watching and dreaming. Being the type who can't leave well enough alone, I started dreaming of mods I would do to my RE when I got one. I really got interested when they added an extra gear to the tranny. I would be happy with a four-speed if the ratios were evenly spaced, but the empty spot between third and fourth would have been really annoying.

I ended up evntually buying an AVL becuase they incorporated everything I wanted. For years, RE riders have been upgrading their bikes with:
1 Stronger bottom ends
2 higher compression
3 electronic ignition
4 better valve train
5 alloy cylindar for better cooling
6. high capacity oil pumps

I really believe that AVKL Corp paid RE owners a high compliment when their redesign was basically an RE motor that took every cue from riders' inovations rather than from the modern motorcycle industry. RE has historically been very loyal to enthusiasts, more so than even HD. With this type of corporate attitude, I think the UCE will not dissapoint either. Purists will lament the passing of an icon, as will I (wish I could afford one of the final 25), but I will probably get one of the new ones when they get here in a couple more years.