Author Topic: Mirror extensions  (Read 1737 times)

squire

• Bulleteer
on: July 26, 2013, 12:10:14 am
I find the stock mirrors dreadful and after a year I'm going to try and rectify it. I see Hitchcocks and RE USA offer mirror extension they claim add 3-4 inches to the original stalks. My question is, how do they work? They only have a kink on one end so they can't replace the original stalks, I feel stupid but how do they work?

I've had bar ends on my old Nortons and Triumphs and know they work well but with an arthritic back I'm forced to try and sit as upright as possible so would prefer a higher mirror. Any other suggestions appreciated.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:27:14 am
i shit canned the stock mirrors as soon as i got home. cycle gear sells "universal" mirrors that clamp to your handlebars, around $11-12. you may have to bend the stalks to clear your hands. these will also thread into the stock mount on the left with a little imagination. the right side mount is a left-hand thread. i heli-coiled the right side stock mount. no further adjustments since.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 05:47:32 am
Another great option is Napoleon Barend mirrors..eBay has quite a few of them, and + is they also take a lot of beating and still look and work great.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 02:14:31 pm
Mate I reckon stock Vespa px200 mirrors might work. They are really high and clear and I think the threads are the same. You should be able to find some because  the threads in every px go, not on the mirrors but in the bike. I wish I still had mine, I'd give  em to you but I gave them with the Vespa. I don't like these type of mirrors but they are certainly the most practical and if you're stiff , they are perfect cause you only need to move your eyes. The mirror glass is really good and weirdly when the bikes idling you can't see jack but once you get moving they are as clear as day.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:22:30 pm by Sectorsteve »

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 03:25:05 am
Every stock lever mount mirror I've tried, only shows me my shoulders. I could not get along without bar end mirrors. Many good ones on Ebay. Napoleons or Stadiums being the classic style. I'm using some $17. a pair, Chinese copies of an expensive make. Work for me-see pix.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure