Author Topic: Greetings from new member  (Read 1285 times)

AstroGT

• Scooter
on: October 28, 2014, 04:42:15 pm
Hello all!
My name is Ross and I've been a fan of Enfields for awhile. My particular interest is in the Continental GT but I like all the Enfields! I sold my last bike (a Honda Blackbird) in February but now I'm having serious withdrawals from riding. This time around I want something simple, light, and above all, different! I don't want a 165 h.p. Superbike any more. I don't have a GT yet but I'm hoping to soon. I have to sell a project car first or the better half will zap me with a death ray if I come home with another toy. The cats would probably go in league with her too.  ;) In the meantime this Forum will be a great research tool and a way to know the bike and those who ride them better.

motorman2whel

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:57:11 pm
Welcome, for sure watch out for the death rays and those sneaky cats ;D. I got loose of My death ray eyed X , still got the sneaky cats though ;).

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:26:43 am
Welcome to the forum. :)

Lots of good information here from a lot of knowledgeable people.

Unlike some web sites it's very seldom anyone gets in a pissing match on the forum.  In fact, it's one of the friendliest forums I visit.

As you read thru the various posts, keep in mind that people with problems gravitate towards the forum for answers.  That doesn't really mean Royal Enfields have a lot of problems.  It just means the thousands of Royal Enfield owners that are not having problems aren't showing up to say how well the motorcycles are running.

Of course I did get a good one and still joined but that's because I enjoy helping other people when I think I can.

As a (ex) Honda Blackbird owner you'll find the Royal Enfields (including the Continental GT) to be at the other end of the performance chart when it comes to raw power.  The engine does have enough low end torque to more than keep up with traffic though.

All in all, my Royal Enfield is the most enjoyable motorcycle I've owned in 50 years of riding.  Nothing but pure fun.

As one of our members pointed out, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:27:28 am
Welcome To The Forum!!!

Like Arizoni said, members rarely get into pissing matches here.  A heated discussion from time to time, but not pissing matches.  There pretty much 3 types of members here; Those looking for help, Those providing help, and those looking into the world of Enfields itself and doing pre-purchase investigating. Regardless, two things you will find here is a wealth of knowledge and great community.  If you have a question, just ask away!  Just try to remember to post in the correct category.  ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AstroGT

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 04:21:34 pm
As a (ex) Honda Blackbird owner you'll find the Royal Enfields (including the Continental GT) to be at the other end of the performance chart when it comes to raw power. 
That's exactly what I'm looking for!  :) My 'Bird was great for traveling long distances very quickly but in traffic or in the local mountains it was somewhat cumbersome, and it like to get VERY hot. Just the way it was. That mentioned, it didn't stop me from spanking squids on their own turf once in awhile. However I don't need or want to do that any more. I know the GT is somewhat heavy for what it is, but I like the price point, it's got enough power to get around, and it's obviously getting popular, and there's got to be a solid reason for that. And the fuel mileage is mighty attractive too.
Anyway, to all so far, thanks for the warm welcome!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 07:46:36 pm
One good thing about Enfields is, they don't get hot. Actually most of the time they run a bit on the cool side. I don't know what you're comparing them to weight wise, but they certainly don't feel heavy. You didn't mention what part of the world you live in, other than there are mountains around, which Enfields love, by the way. If you have a dealer handy, you should be able to get a test ride and check them out. But be careful. They are very addicting. More smiles/mile than anything else out there.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

AstroGT

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:31:23 pm
I don't know what you're comparing them to weight wise, but they certainly don't feel heavy.
Well, similar bikes from the era they're representing, at least in spirit, like smaller Nortons, etc., from the 60s which weighed in the 300 lb range. But weight isn't everything!
Nearest dealer is about 30 miles away from me. I live in Chatsworth, Ca.

Arctictanker

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 08:17:16 am
WELCOME!  They are addicting.  Here was how my addiction started.  Saw it on the internet so went to the local dealer that weekend.  Took my wife to look the next weekend.  Bought it the third weekend.  By the way, I didn't even have my license yet.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:14:05 pm
WELCOME!  They are addicting.  Here was how my addiction started.  Saw it on the internet so went to the local dealer that weekend.  Took my wife to look the next weekend.  Bought it the third weekend.  By the way, I didn't even have my license yet.
Apparently you're a very self controlled person!  :P I'm not nearly as self controlled. I saw it through the window of the already closed dealership one night and then went home to look them up online. Went back the next day for a test spin and trailered it home.  ;D

AstroGT

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 06:46:57 pm
Apparently you're a very self controlled person!  :P I'm not nearly as self controlled.
I'm somewhere in between! If I hadn't just started a new job I'd probably have one by now, even assuming suffering laser burns from the other half. :o But money is super super tight right now so I must wait.  :-[

p144

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 01:19:27 am
I hear you on being tight. I'm a contractor so we have vast swings of financial resources depending on what contracts we land. Sometimes it's steak and motorcycles, and other times it's ramen and bicycles. :)

Hope you get your GT soon though. It really is a blast for the right individual. Definitely some quirks, but I'm loving it.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 04:31:46 am
Astro---Chatsworth is not too far from Lomita and South Bay Motors.  Your interest in the Continental GT can be realized by discussing it with Matt Capri as his group just sat a record at Bonneville with Enfields most recent effort.  Also try some other Enfield models and campare the rides of each.  All will give immense pleasure.  Welcome to the forum.