Author Topic: Transmission OK  (Read 1705 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 24, 2013, 11:52:57 pm
  I'm gonna fix it myself. My other thread about the trans is about the electric start sprag gear!? I ordered the clutch center puller and the rotor puller tools. My trans is fine, except for the irritating false neutrals. The primary is fine. After popping off the entire primary, I'll toss the electric start, gears and all. I'm starting to feel better now.
  The tools are being shipped UPS Ground from MN to Arlington, VA. Then, I'll start getting my Bullet back. Brand new carb and all. Thanks for the diagnosis everyone.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:44 am
Well, you've got until it cools down some 'cause it looks like SuperChuck wants to put together a group ride between Charm City and DC guys.  Since we're the only three I know of and I'm not spending all day in the heat and humidity wearing a helmet, Uncle Sam made me do that in flea infested places, but at least he fed me and paid me enough to buy beer.  So after the killer heat.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:38:34 pm
When I get rolling I'd love to get out for a ride.
  I got the tools from nfield. One is for the clutch, and one for the rotor. Score one for the cave man. Want to do something? Get the tool!
  I'm taking a hiatus from lots of things. My other bike is an '02 Honda ST1100. Even modified, the wide seat doesn't agree with me. My hip and lower back have become grumpy. I'm going to have to move on from the great ST. Let me know if you could use a great sports/touring bike. When my muscles relax I'll get after the Bullet's primary and electric start.
Cheers,
Bill

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:18:56 pm
  8)  No hurry here.  Summer weekends are always booked up for people.  I've got more relatives and events than there is me to do them.
Cooler/drier weather is just a month away!  Then we're good through November before real cold and slippery weather takes some of the fun out.  The aches and pains of getting older sucks, but I'm not ready to retire yet.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 01:17:26 am
If your transmission is fine with the exception of false neutrals, I would first attempt to adjust the clutch cable to have minimum play and see if that helps the shifting.

If that doesn't help, next try to adjust the detent plunger  inside the outer cover per Pete Snidals instructions.  Possibly you don't have enough pre-load on the detent plunger and the plunger is not catching notches on GOSA.

Another possibility would be a maladjusted ratchet mechanism.   Again Pete's manual has a description on how to adjust. 

A final possibility, is that the bike was converted from a left foot shift to a right foot shift using pirate parts.  When a pirate inner cover is used, washers or spacers need to be placed such that the spoon shaped "bell crank" engages the GOSA lever with minimal play.  To much play in the pirate bell crank will make it nearly impossible get into gear the first try.

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 03:11:15 am
Hi Bill:
You are about to embark on a service journey many of us have already done. It's not particularly hard but will take some time. The biggest thing to get used to is not having the electric start button to push when you stall in traffic at a stop light or sign. Keep the bike in good tune and that won't be much of an issue. Also a working decompressor  will make first kick starting quicker and easier.  Shedding weight off an enfield is a big boost in performance.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:54:15 am
What's a GOSA?