Author Topic: Help with Colors/Coatings for Military c5  (Read 1635 times)

Hansel

• Scooter
on: July 30, 2013, 05:39:57 pm
So, I am blacking out my bike here shortly or at least just getting rid of some of the shiny bits on it.

First thing i would like to do is the engine covers... I assume these are aluminum? Can you powdercoat them or am i better off getting them anodized? Anodizing more durable? Would powder coat hold up to the heat on those?

I have seen a company that anodizes guns, so they have an olive drab and flat black that might look good.

My original idea was to get a color match powder coat, and have the whole engine cover done, and then have the little RE wing logo done in black to make it stand out. Ive seen powder projects like this but am not sure if my guy here could do it.

Fork legs might be next as well... are they aluminum too?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:10:35 pm
Hi Hansel,

Yes sir the fork legs/lowers/sliders are aluminum.

Anodizing aluminum for color match s tricky. Unless the parts were all made from the same batch of alloy there will be noticeable shade differences.

Color matching is as much art as it is science.
If your build requires a perfect match then all your parts will need to be painted at the same time.

In addition to powder coat there are also various epoxy paints out there that might be of interest to you.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:49:31 pm
I'd look at POR-15, VHT, or other engine- and heat-specific coatings.  There's one other big brand I know I'm forgetting...

I also doubt anodize would turn out very evenly, but who knows?  I'd definitely look into the possibility of changes in dimensions for bearing seats, etc. for anything that has to be ano, esp. if you're looking at hard ano.  Plus you can paint stuff without necessarily needing to strip it to the bare casting alone.

Hansel

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 03:41:47 am
how would regular powdercoat do on an engine cover? I would just get the outside done to not worry about clearances for internals... It doesnt seem like the engine cover gets "that" hot, but im not sure the tolerances for powder coat.... dont the old enfields have painted engine covers?

Powder coating would also give me the most options in regards to colors.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:24:05 am
I'm not sure what you mean by "engine cover."

Hansel

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:09:55 am
I'm not sure what you mean by "engine cover."

Sorry, the engine case cover.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:41:57 am
Assuming it's prepped and has no grease on it there's no problem.  The OEM paint stays on the engines quite well, and any average shop's powdercoat will be way better than that.  You'll lose paint off of fasteners, like the tappet cover nut and the oil filter nut through tool abrasion.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:07 am
Yup. clean and prepped. That is the foundation of any successful paint job.

There are shade variations in O.D. greens. The ones available in aerosol cans most likely to match are Krylon fusion Camouflage #4293, Ultra Flat, SKU245044293 and Rust-Oleum Camouflage #1919 Deep Forrest Green, SKU 200619198

The Krylon is a match on most parts of my Iron Barrel military and on all the parts of Stealth Bombers C5 military based cafe racer.

No matter where you go, there, you are.