Author Topic: xj 900  (Read 1564 times)

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
on: August 04, 2013, 11:11:56 am
im thinking about getting a second bike for long distance trips and for some strange reason find myself drawn to the early 80'S yamaha xj 900.   years ago a mate had one when i was aboard a rd250Lc and he loved it. they 're really cheap these days and by all accounts very robust and simple. also they're eligible for club rego which suits me as i only envisage using it on interstate trips and that would save a lot. any thoughts?
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 04:14:20 pm
     With any short production run vehicle like this the issue will be parts. You will probably never have to worry about the engine. With reasonable care it will go forever. Things to worry about are thing like, body parts, turn signals, taillight lens, electrical switches, CDI unit... In short, all the peripheral systems that enable you to keep riding will be, at best, difficult to obtain. It will get worse with time. 
     I ride an old bike. I have been collecting a stash of parts for years. When my left handle switch broke I got the last one Yamaha had. It was broken. I had to build one switch out of the two broken ones I had. Luckily, my bike had a 13 year production run, so used parts are more or less readily available. That in not the case with your bike. You can usually graft on other stuff, but you will need to pay a pro to have it done properly. $$$
     I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do this. Just be aware of these issues. If you are reasonably self sufficient, OK. If you want off the shelf parts availability, this may not be your best choice.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:27:54 pm
I just looked at Bike Bandit and they have all kinds of OEM parts readily available for that bike.  You should be fine.  If you like it and it's a good price say go for it!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:43:56 pm
Pretty common and parts are no problem.  If you have a frame and motor you could probably build one from spares.  Most of the electrics are common to other model Yamahas. 
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:53:19 am
ok! thanks for the vote of confidence! bit of a coincidence but i was just flicking through a mag(I think it was motorcycle trader )and saw a cafe racer conversion. it looked great but a little on the portly side. found one on the net for only 1600 ,bit rough round the gills but still that's a lot of bike for the money.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:57:20 pm
     Speaking form 40 years experience in the industry...
Parts listed on a parts diagram, particularly from a third party vendor, does not mean availability. In the US it was imported only in 1983. In the industry there is a technical term for people who believe their 30 year old bike will have instant parts availability. That term is: Pedestrian.
     Don't get me wrong. It was a great bike and will be a satisfying ride. But every day I shock a customer when I tell them the part they want for their old bike is not available. Anyone buying an older bike should consider this. A lot of things can be worked around. Body parts can be repaired and painted. Turn signals can be grafted on. Handlebar switches can be wired in from another bike. The list goes on. Just about anything can be repaired. The trade off is how much time and money you are willing to invest. This is a serious consideration, especially for someone far from home. Careful planning and maintenance can minimize a lot of issues, but there will still be legitimate concerns.
     The parts situation for any bike older 12 to 15 years gets sketchier and sketchier due to all manufacturer's cost/benefit analysis. They can't afford to make parts and store them for years because someone might need them "someday".

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:08:43 pm
My nephew has one here in Maryland.  I'll forward that he can't find parts and his bike doesn't run. Thank you.
1975 XLCH

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 02:03:13 am
 Thanks for your advice Vince and others ,I did nt mean to mislead and should have mentioned earlier ,I live in good old Australia, down in south Melbourne  where we get 4 seasons in one day most days but we love it.
The xj i believe was sold here for its full production run and theres usually 3 or 4  on the local market. Anyhow, D the D what parts does your nephew need? I'll see if I can source them easily or not. It mite be just the exercise I need to make up my alleged mind. In the meantime, the enfield runs great. Cheers.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:55:13 am
Aussie Dave,
Thanks for the offer, but he doesn't need anything at the moment except less girlfriend and more riding time.  Just pointing out that if there is a shortage of parts, he didn't get the memo. ;)  His sat in a barn for over a dozen years while his dad pretended he might get a "round tuit" some day.  He found the body parts on eBay and one of the big online stores.  Electrics was cake since it shared most things with other models over many years.  Took him a whole month to get all his parts collected and make it run.
Thanks though!
1975 XLCH