Author Topic: Prospective owner needs help  (Read 3046 times)

Snakebite

• Scooter
on: June 13, 2008, 05:35:24 pm
I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing a bike for primary transportation
to and from work.  I'm particularly drawn to the Bullet Military.  I live on the
west coast of Florida, in its most densly populated county.  The trip to work
is 22 miles round trip, on a 6 lane highway(3 north& 3 south).  I leave and return during peak traffic hours so there's a lot of stopping and starting and generally the
traffic speed rarely exceeds 50 to 55 mph.. and only then for a mile or two due to
traffic congestion.  I can do the recommended break in around my neighborhood and secondary roads in the immediate area...would a bullet be a good match for me?

Thanks to all who respond.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 06:06:29 pm by Snakebite »

deejay

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 05:49:55 pm
I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing a bike for primary transportation
to and from work.  I'm particularly drawn to the Bullet Military.  I live on the
west coast of Florida, in its most densly populated county.  The trip to work
is 22 miles round trip, on a 6 lane highway.  I leave and return during peak
traffic hours so there's a lot of stopping and starting and generally the
traffic speed rarely exceeds 50 to 55 mph.  I can do the recommended
break in around my neighborhood and secondary roads in the immediate
area...would a bullet be a good match for me?

Thanks to all who respond.

A six lane highway? Probably not. Is there an alternate route you can take? Back roads? Thats what I do when I take the Bullet to work.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 07:05:22 pm
If your speeds are as you say, then after breakin why not. But if that six-lane critter opens up to speeds it would be iffy just trying to stay alive.

geoffbaker

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:55:47 pm
This is the usual dilemma... we all love Bullets here but we know they aren't for everybody.

First: you will have to like the idea of working on a bike. I don't think it's too important that you have a lot of experience under your belt (but others here will disagree with that)... but you have to really be willing to put the time in. These bikes need more maintenance than modern Jap bikes.

Second, because they need more maintenance, they are less suitable for regular commuting - but it can be done IF you always, always keep on top of your maintenance schedule and have thoroughly familiarized yourself with the bike in every aspect - electrical, motor, brakes, wheels, transmission...

Thirdly, they dont like high speeds so your highway seems a bad choice. Are there back roads you could take? They would be better for the bike (and your safety) and more fun anyway.

If you aren't put off by any of the above... you'll love your bike and will be amazed at all the positive response you will get.

Ride safe!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 08:12:31 pm
Today's rush hour traffic places a tremendous amount of stress on vehicles:
Stress due to heat
Stress due to the mechanics/physics of repeated stopping and starting
Stress due to rapid acceleration and near-frantic stops

Our bikes already operate closer to their performance limits than most modern vehicles. If the stress of today's traffic causes wear and tear on a modern vehicle it'll even be worse on an RE.

Air-cooled bikes don't like modern stop and go traffic anyway...

I wouldn't recommend it as a regular commuter unless you could take an alternate route or change your hours to avoid the worst of the traffic.

Matt

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 08:19:40 pm
Bullets are delightful, but they definitely aren't interstate/superslab bikes.  Despite being able (once broken in properly--and that's VERY important) according to the specs, of hitting c. 75mph top speed, that's the quickest way to a very short life.  They like 50-55.  More than that with any regularity, forgedaboudit!  This is a back-road, keep after the maintenance bike.  But those who have 'em love 'em!
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 08:46:28 pm
Is this 6 lane highway Rt. 19 ? If so, you would probably be OK.  I dont think anyone can exeed 55 on that road. It's just a linear parking lot.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 11:42:39 pm
If you get the new military with the AVL engine, you probably won't have any trouble. The AVL isn't as touchy about break in either. Only problem is you miss the opportunity of having the last of a legend.

deejay

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 12:32:01 am
Maybe a good candidate for a UCE? When are those arriving?

Snakebite

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 01:09:10 pm
I'd like to thank everyone for their input...I'm going to wait for the UCE to
come out.  I've researched it online and it may be what I need.

Thanks to everyone again.