Author Topic: engine oil level with sidecar  (Read 2534 times)

AwL

• Scooter
on: July 24, 2013, 08:03:44 pm
Since the proper way to check oil level on UCE engines is with bike on center stand, what should the level in the sight glass show with sidecar attached?  Reason i ask is that lately it seems that the oil level in mine increases.  Before ride yesterday oil level was about 1/4 above lower sight glass mark.  This morning it was almost to the top sight glass mark.  Is oil accumulating on the right side since bike is always upright with chair attached? 
   Being unable to move bike from side to side when changing oil to get it all out i measure how much comes out, and then replace that amount rather than go by amount indicated in manual.  That brings it to between sight glass marks. 

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 08:06:57 pm
With a sidecar it will already be in an upright position. Check the oil by running for a few minutes and then stopping the engine.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 12:57:57 am
AwL
You are wise not to use the quantity listed in the Owners Manual.

Mine says the engine requires 2.75 liters of engine oil.  That's 2.9 US quarts !!
I suspect the RE Owners Manual was supposed to say 1.75 liters.

I've found that my UCE engine needs 1.8-1.9 US quarts to refill it after a oil and filter change.  Your sidecar rig might need a bit less because you can't get out the oil that is trapped in the sidecovers.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary