Author Topic: Installing Silencer To header pipe.  (Read 11822 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:42 am
First of all, really sorry to post and post. What are peoples opinions on installing a silencer to header pipe. The new silencer pipes diameter is the same as the header pipes diameter. I read somewhere that Ace used some aluminium roof flashing and clamps to connect. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me and im pretty sure i should be able to get it pretty tight. Should be alright. He said he like this over using putty which can be messy. Ive also decided i wanna paint the new silencer matt black and use a black exhaust tape to cover the header pipe. Mainly for the look because i will need to cover up the clamps, aluminium and the hook that the old heat shield attached to.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:03:13 am by Sectorsteve »

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 11:55:36 am
I just wrapped my other bikes pipes. Few tips. Soak the wrap for at least a half hour.  Wear gloves and wrap while its dripping wet.  I cured mine with a heat gun, or let dry naturally. The wet wrap stretches and shrinks as it dries, this will give you a snug fit.  Paint your wrap! It likes to collect water and road grime. The paint stops that. That being said if you want black use white wrap and paint it black. This helps ensure complete coverage.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:08:49 pm
thanks for that. so i guess ill have to take the header pipe off im to paint the tape which makes sense.

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:43:52 pm
Much much easier to wrap it off the bike. I put mine in a vice on the work bench. Luckily the mounting bracket was in a good spot to clamp.  If you plan to paint the clamps you hols the wrap on with, clean them well or it won't stick. Did i mention wear gloves? Follow the curing process for the paint, it makes a difference. I didn't the first time and that's why they ended up wrapped.

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 12:51:40 pm
From my Suzuki

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:12:04 pm
First of all, really sorry to post and post. What are peoples opinions on installing a silencer to header pipe. The new silencer pipes diameter is the same as the header pipes diameter. I read somewhere that Ace used some aluminium roof flashing and clamps to connect. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me and im pretty sure i should be able to get it pretty tight. Should be alright. He said he like this over using putty which can be messy. Ive also decided i wanna paint the new silencer matt black and use a black exhaust tape to cover the header pipe. Mainly for the look because i will need to cover up the clamps, aluminium and the hook that the old heat shield attached to.

You've got all good hints from others already. I just redid my AVL recently (go to that forum for the whole story & a picture) & have just one more hint. Start from the silencer end & wrap TOWARD the head end. I just looks better that way.

I used used black tape that had been on another bike to cover the tan tape that was already on the Enfield pipe then sprayed it with the same black BBQ paint as I used on the muffler. BadDP is right: paint the wrap. It will look better longer.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:16:12 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 06:06:03 pm
As far as attachment the muffler to the pipe, that leaves a lot of variables. I had to sand my exhaust pipe down to get my angle adapter on. The other end required the aluminum muffler tape to seal it up. I cut off the little hook for the stock muffler.
Basically you have to do what you have to do to get everything to fit. No biggie.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 07:23:00 pm
I forgot to mention two things. Clean up any surface rust before wrapping. It will lead to problems down the road. Also clean the pipe with a good degreaser before. It really makes a difference.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:22:05 pm
There are problems with PIPE WRAP, It is reputed to raise the heat level in the pipe & mess with sensors & affect Performance. Personally I'd rather see the more costly chrome.
   There is available a "step down pipe stub" to overcome 2 identical diameter pipes not joining. I have a harbor freight expanding exhaust pipe tool I usually need to slightly stretch exhaust parts to make fit.  I'm an old guy, & like the stock appearance of the classic Enfields. I can see Flat Black on a military bike, but view the pipe wrap, & flat black on anything else as more about latest FAD than anything practical. If you decide to sell the bike The MOLESTATION will be a red flag issue to a knowledgeable buyer. 
  Sorry to be a nay-saying spoilsport, but thought some one with experience should mention it.  Regards, Craig
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 09:30:49 pm
My son and I used to race Quarter Midgets. After about 100 instant 3rd degree burns including a sizzle from touching an exhaust pipe I wrapped the pipe. It did reduce my burns to second degree. I did soak it and then hear cure it with the engine running and it stayed in place as long as we had the car.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:11:32 pm
I hear ya Craig, but after 23000kms in the last year and counting, my stock header is looking a bit rough, and i thought the tape would be a good way to cover up the stock silencer hook, which i do not want to cut off straight away in case i want to use the stock muffler. First of all, i want to try this new silencer before i do anything. Fuel economy is a big thing for me over anything. if the new silencer contributes to more fuel consumption - i will not use it.
I was thinking last night that if i painted the silencer and taped the header there'd be no chrome and id miss that. That being said, i would only tape the header and leave the silencer chrome. As for selling the thing - well, i cannot see it happening. i love it, plus it owes me $15000 as i kinda got shafted with the finance when i bought it through the shop.The C5 is primarily my work vehicle, its a legitimate 100% tax deduction for me through my business. Its proved to be a reliable work horse for my job appointments and makes getting around so fun and exciting. I look forward to going to appointments and purposely get clients miles away so i can ride further. When i have days off i go for more long rides! Its possible she will morph into many looks but any changes wont be undoable ones. im not into cutting, drilling, painting, changing anything that i cant change back. i bought the C5 cause its exactly the look love on a bike so i really dont wanna turn her into anything else. I just need practical, reliable and fuel efficient, which is what i have now. This new silencer has a lot to live up to!

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:30:57 pm
Painting the header black shouldn't affect sensors. I've heard tape builds up heat & etc.. I have never kept track of fuel mileage, Enfields do so well, I can afford a few ounces more for a sporty silencer.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 11:52:56 pm
i suppose you could always paint it with black heatproof paint....i did

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 01:04:24 am
Wrap does increase heat. The gasses stay hotter longer. This increases their speed. It makes bikes run lean. When I did my Suzuki gn 250, I ended up having to reject the carb it was so drastic. However I had a nice inch long crack in the header that is patched up now.

Ayers Garage

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 11:04:25 pm
I ceramic coated my entire exhaust in black. It's main benefit is to hold the heat inside the pipe. On some of the powder coating forums I go to, it has been documented to decrease pipe temperature by over 200 degrees. I never measured mine before and after, but it profoundly makes the head pipe cooler in operation, that I can tell.

Royal Enfield. Speed limits aren't a restriction to me, they're a goal !