Author Topic: Installing Silencer To header pipe.  (Read 11817 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 02:12:54 am
As far as attachment the muffler to the pipe, that leaves a lot of variables. I had to sand my exhaust pipe down to get my angle adapter on. The other end required the aluminum muffler tape to seal it up. I cut off the little hook for the stock muffler.
Basically you have to do what you have to do to get everything to fit. No biggie.
Bare
Bare, I cant get the Dunstall to fit as its the same size as the damn header pipe...I was wondering if I could/should just use a grinder and grind down the header pipe so the muffler would fit?
Just hoping to get a solution to resolve this...
Thanks
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 02:27:09 am
Bare, I cant get the Dunstall to fit as its the same size as the damn header pipe...I was wondering if I could/should just use a grinder and grind down the header pipe so the muffler would fit?
Just hoping to get a solution to resolve this...
Thanks
Mark

Not sure about grinding the pipe, but if and that is if you were to do this, I think it is safer to grind down the muffler instead of the header pipe. And then use the clamp that Hitchcocks provides for their EFI silencers, or something similar to that.

Just realised that the above seems so dodgy. No idea how a grinded muffler inlet will adequately fit in to the header.  :-X  ::)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:09:33 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 07:02:14 am
As i said before, if you get a piece of pipe about 3 inches long that fits snug into the muffler youre set. It does involve a weld though. You weld the 3 inch pipe to header, at the same time heating the muffler end with a flame then push muffler onto the new pipe. get your self a sexy stainless clamp and your done. To cover the weld you can get a small heatshield. im gonna use some heat tape once i get a spare $50 to cover the weld and the blue bits on header. should look sexy as.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 07:12:22 am
As i said before, if you get a piece of pipe about 3 inches long that fits snug into the muffler youre set. It does involve a weld though. You weld the 3 inch pipe to header, at the same time heating the muffler end with a flame then push muffler onto the new pipe. get your self a sexy stainless clamp and your done. To cover the weld you can get a small heatshield. im gonna use some heat tape once i get a spare $50 to cover the weld and the blue bits on header. should look sexy as.
I got you before Sectorsteve, my concern was if I changed my mind about the muffler then I'd have to deal with the weld...but after a lot of calls and searching and with a lot of help...I managed to find a reducer that I hope will work..not sure yet and hoping that a weld might not be necessary...I will keep you posted....
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:44 pm
my thoughts exactly when i was doing mine. im lucky im happy with the end result. hope you get it how you want soon!