Author Topic: Electra Vs. Bullet Classic  (Read 4096 times)

Nevadan

• Scooter
on: June 13, 2008, 05:20:45 pm
I was wondering what the major differenced are between the two as far as mechanical not so much styling.  Especialy the top cruiseing speed and handlng at speed.

Thank you.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:51:35 pm
I don't know about the new classic line with the AVL, but I have an Electra. Besides simple things like iol changes, valve adjustments, chain adjust, there really isn't much to do. Probably the only difference in maint is points, and that can't be too much of a bother.

As for speed, the Electra is a bit faster, and happier at higher speeds. It disipates heat better and has a stronger bottom end. I ride between 45 and 65 most of the time, but there are a few times I get it up to 75+ with no ill effects. I even ride interstate on rare occasions, but it's no fun on any bike.

As far as handling goes, REs handle great, regardless of model. Only problem is, they are small bikes and tend to get lighter the faster you go. You really don't want to cruise at high speeds on anything that doesn't have some rea weight to it. Heavy bikes are great down the highway, but pure hell in slower traffic.

shrugger

• Chinese symbols for "Serenity"
  • Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 12:27:44 am
If you mean the AVL Classic. Then same motor, same ups and downs as the Electra
They do not have points. The disk brake on the Electra is an improvement.
However, the drums on my Classic don't have any difficulty in reducing my speed.
When I ask them to.
2008 Bullet 500 Classic AVL

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 01:05:55 am
I like the clean looks of drum brakes better. I wonder if uisng hydraulic activator like on a disk, would make a drum stop as well? or nearly as well?

deejay

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 01:55:16 am
I like the clean looks of drum brakes better. I wonder if uisng hydraulic activator like on a disk, would make a drum stop as well? or nearly as well?

Maybe, I saw a hydraulic clutch somewhere for the Bullet too. That would have been useful for me today since I hit every single red light on my way home from work.

prof_stack

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 07:11:32 am
I like the clean looks of drum brakes better.
The drum might look better but the disc works better.  On the last test ride I took on a Sixty-5 I thought of Fred Flintstone stopping his car with his feet when I pulled the front brake lever.  There was hardly any stopping power compared to a modern disc brake.

Vince told me that the brakes, once bedded in, and adjusted properly, stop just fine.  And we all know that Vince is THE man you want to listen to.    ;D

Plus, with all the bad stuff out there on the road we riders need all the stopping power we can get and safely control. 

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:34:15 pm
One of the reasons I didn't buy an Electra was because of the disc brake. For me, it just ruins the styling, so I opted for an AVL Deluxe.

I had guessed before I bought it, that drums would work just fine for a single-cylinder, 370 lb motorcycle and I think I was correct. The drum gives lots of feel and it's not even bedded yet. I had a panic stop already, (though it was only on main street going 25 mph), but I gave it a solid pull, the bike stopped, the forks dove and everything was right with thhe world, (because I was still upright). ;D

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 05:06:22 am
Electra vs  Bullet Classic ? Thats easy! (hint,)classics don't have ovaries
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.