Author Topic: New Megaphone from Classic bike store Uk. disapointment.  (Read 1209 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead

How do i delete a post?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:38:06 am by Sectorsteve »

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:28:20 am
That sucks, brother!
Ordered mine from NfG. Took a couple weeks, but it came with all three shims and the bracket. The angle adapter is on back order along with my cover, though. Prolly held up in customs.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:53:12 am
ive cooled down now. the joys of buying stuff online. i just spent about 3 hours on getting the stock off, bought a clamp, had to borrow a metric allen key from a mate down the road, the stock took a bit of coaxing to get off. At the end of all that the header pipe is the exact same size as the silencer so no go. Put the stock back on - which btw has been real good since i got it welded(must have had a crack in it for some time) but my next move is to take it to these guys after i take the stock off and ill get them to secure the megaphone for me. they did a great job on the repair of the stock so im sure theyll love to put the megaphone on - that is if they really love their jobs and exhausts which i think they do!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:13:52 pm
As I mentioned in another post, since the stock pipe is quite thick in the silencer mounting area, I sanded the excess thickness off with a belt sander so I could get the equal sized adapter on! Worked like a champ! I tried one of those "Tube Expanders. Don't bother, it didn't do much expanding. I flared the end a little bit so it was some assistance getting the adapter started, but in the end the sanding was required and did the job!
When you decide to start doing this kinda stuff, you'll find that none of it will go as you originally hoped. You have suddenly become a custom vehicle builder with all the little weird stuff it takes to make non fitting parts work. It keeps the work interesting! And teaches you a lot about metal working and other fun customizing tasks. Also patience. If you don't have that, don't get into wanting to make it your own machine, because if you finish it It will be yours and nothing else is going to fit! Or if you botch it up, try to figure another angle of attack.
Bare
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:22:27 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:24:41 pm
You can always put in on Ebay, before you mess with it, & look for a long upswept. they are on Ebay also.  Probably you'll break even.  Cheers, Craig
Best Wishes, Craig McClure