Author Topic: Epic 10 Minute Ride!  (Read 3325 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 22, 2013, 12:53:17 pm
I was able to conjure up a chest mount for my smart phone yesterday so I had to test it out.  It's actually a mini back pack and happens to have a pocket with a clear plastic lens, if you will, on the back side of it.  I mounted my camera in the pocket and just wore the back pack backwards. 

Anyways, I went around the block and to where what I like to call The Aurora Trench.  It's a 20-30 acre field filled with 4x4 trails and a big gulch/trench that fills up with rain water.  It borders Buckley Air Force Base along the South runway.  It's a sweet spot, not only is it a lot of fun, but you can also watch the F-16's and F-18s take off and land from about 150 yards out.  Best part is that this field is only 3 minutes from my house, as I live on the very edge of Aurora.

I apologize for the shakiness and quality of the video, this is the 1st one that I've made and it was more of a trial that came out pretty descent.  I promise my future videos will be of better quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSM29UKpVaI&feature=youtube_gdata

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:36:41 pm
Video was fine for what you were trying to accomplish...The Bike sounded great... I use to work on the flight line at Myrtle Beach and Shaw AFB ...The A7 and 10 's were fun but nothing sounds like a Phantom taking off... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:52:34 pm
I took my dirt bike there all last year before I sold it.  When the MPs would patrol the fence line I'd hit the jumps and catch as much air as possible.  I'd get a few thumbs up now and then.  If I could time it right I'd race the F16s along the fence line as they were taking off.  It's just a fun place for free recreation, as long as you're not breaking the law.  The guys in the air tower watch and will bust your ass if you start getting out of hand.

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:21:04 pm
She accelerates pretty quick!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

BarklessDog

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:15:36 pm
Nice footage. Bike sounds great! I was half expecting (and sorta hoping) to see you pull a McQueen and go all "Great Escape" over that fence. ;D
"If you want to get laid, go to College. If you want an education, go to the Library." Frank Zappa
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011 Royal Enfield Bullet G5 Deluxe
2004 HD 883XLC

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:52:54 am
You mean all tangled up in the barbed wire?  :-[

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 06:02:06 am
And then shot by the Sky Cops.  :'(
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 02:29:22 pm
LOL guys!  Yeah, I don't think that would work out too great.  Being that it's an AFB and the satellite views from Google Maps have structures edited out that you can see locally from the road but NOT Google Maps.....  I've done some stupid shit in my, but I'm not trying to get locked up in military prison.    ;)

D the D -  The bike is runs like a raped ape!  It gets to 75 REAL quick and then stops accelerating.  Problem 1, putting on the Shinko 705 on the rear, I lost about an inch of wheel diameter shortening up my gear ratio.  So it pulls really fast and hard but I'm not getting anywhere near the top speed the bike had when new.  Problem 2 is I put an Amal 30mm MK1 and I should have went with at least a 34mm.  So the bike is actually under carburated, which affects the WOT top end as well.  BUT it DOES run really well just need to keep it 60-65mph on the highway for now.  I see Hitchcock's sells different sized crankshaft sprockets, I might just go with an extra tall one of those and change the entire gear ratio and then put on a 36mm MK1 to get the most out of the motor.

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 04:18:06 pm
Sounds like a plan.  You've built a beautiful bike, what I really wanted when I bit the Bullet.
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 06:12:46 pm
the footage looked pretty good. I didn't like you covering the real music of the bike with that other noise! The audio addition added nothing to the production!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 08:39:18 pm
I know these vids tend to make you look like you are going twice as fast as you really are, but you look (and sound) like you are tearing it up on that dirt! 

Why does this bike sound so sweet? Is it all the engine, or are those cocktail shakers really doing the trick? It just sounds so dang good.

I know what Bare is saying, except that's just a good tune.   :)
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 09:29:51 pm
Just look @ his speedometer!  He's going a good clip in the dirt and drag racing from stops and turns on the street.
1975 XLCH