Author Topic: Pipes and Jets...  (Read 3461 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 14, 2013, 04:14:48 pm
It's been a while since I've tooled on the thumper... now I'm looking to upgrade to a freer flowing exhaust, K&N air filter, and jet up my stock CV carb.

After googling silencers I'm finding a number of universal and emgo pipes online for fractions of the cost of nfieldgear.  Just wondering if anyone knows the reason between the massive price difference, or is it just that the emgo ones are made in china and the officially licensed ones are made in a country that has labor laws?:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/review/product/list/id/1467/category/344/

vs

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/megaphone-silencer.html

I'm also reading that the emgo one is massively loud, and that you have to replace the glasspack with something more substantial if you don't want to get arrested (or lose your hearing).  How is the loudness with the nfieldgear silencer, and why is it only marketed for the EFI models (not my AVL?)

I want free flowing for performance, but not brainsplitting volume... is there a middle ground?

Lastly, am I correct that any of the mikuni universal CV jets will work in my stock carb?  I've poked around a number of threads here and it seems most enfielders use the 17.5 pilot and anywhere from 115 to 125 for the main when tuning the CV carb.

Thanks in advance!

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:01:45 pm
Hello Chuck,

I am not sure about the main jet but vm22/210 is the part number for BS29 pilot jets and these are used in Mikuni VM and TM series carbs too. In short, the Pilot Jets used in Iron Barrel carbs should work with yours.

-Sanket

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:36:02 pm
I can't speak to that exhaust (I've been looking at that one as well with a header wrap).

Check out this link for jets for our cv carb: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16053.0.html

I'd start with the stock, 15, pilot and a 120 main. Also, you may want to shave about .7mm off the bottom of the slide piston.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:34:28 pm
Thanks, that carb jetting thread is super helpful!  I was reading more today on the interweb of how people have tried to mitigate the loudness of that emgo shorty.  Some people pack the entire thing full of steel wool  and/or glasspack (not just around the wall of the silencer).  Does anyone know if this would severely decrease the breathability of the exhaust, or could it be a good solution?  In other words, it's cramming the silencer chock full of material, even in the center where the main gasses are flowing...

Thanks!
Chuck

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:42:35 am
Ok I think I'm going to go with the emco shorty reverse cone.  Love the look of it.  Now the question is upswept elbow or straight? 

Is an upswept exhaust always louder than a non-upswept?  I like the style but like I said above, it's not loudness I'm going for.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 04:11:44 am
Actually the straighter the pipe the louder it's going to be, doing an upswept exhaust will tone it down.  Slightly.  If you want to quiet it down go to your local motorcycle shop (or buy online if it's easier) and get some fiberglass muffler packing and go to the hardware store and buy some bailing wire.  Pull the baffle out of the muffler, wrap it with an appropriate amount of packing and secure it to the baffle by tightly wrapping the bailing wire around it.

I have the Emgo cocktail shakers on my twin.  I don't have the baffles wrapped and it's pretty knarly.  It's loud, but it does sound nice and mean as shit.  Check out the thread in the UCE section "can a royal Enfield do a burnout?"  You can hear my exhaust in that video.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 02:04:32 pm
great- thanks!  I'm actually getting a little excited about some loudness...

Does anyone know of readily available exhaust 'upswept elbows'?  I'll get the nfieldgear one if necessary, but it feels weird getting a tiny piece of bent pipe that costs almost as much as the silencer itself...

Chuck

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 02:00:22 am
Looks promising- I'll have to verify diameters though... don't all enfields have 1-5/8 O.D. header pipes?

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 02:59:56 am
I saw a youtube review of this silencer on an EFI enfield.  The dude loved it and it didn't seem too loud... could it be the same as the EMGO?  it looks identical on the screen... anyone have experience with this?

http://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/featured-spares/short-universal-megaphone-silencer.html

Maybe the EMGO reverse cone shorty pipe that everyone says is too loud is only too loud on triumphs and japanese cafe's?  That's two of them screaming at you when us enfielders only have one tailpipe.

I think I'm going to go for it (the emgo from an american distributer) but if this one from UK is really that much better I may spring for the additional cost.  Don't want to if it's identical though.

Thoughts?

Chuck