Author Topic: no more ethenol  (Read 2295 times)

madmaxnc

• Scooter
on: July 21, 2013, 05:14:32 pm
 :D  Carb problems,,,SOLVED!!!!,,These bikes hate ethanol fuel,,use VP SM Engine fuel it made a huge difference on start up  ,idle quality,power and drivability!!!!! :)check there site ,,,VP FUEL

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 05:37:48 pm
It's expensive. Use some X2 that will be cheaper.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

madmaxnc

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 06:06:27 pm
x2????,,where,,how much a gallon,,vp is a bit pricey

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:19:51 pm
We sell it at work for the marine stuff I work on. It's cheap we sell the small bottle for $4.95 treats over 20 gals.The bigger bottle treats 128 gals for $14.00. We've got it on order again. So far this year I've gone from 20 carb and injector jobs a week to almost none. Put it in Google and see if you can find any dealers near you.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:24:27 pm
I just looked it says Bass Pro shops has it, they're all over the place may be one near you.   ERC

madmaxnc

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 06:34:46 pm
thanks ERC,,BASS-PRO not too far from me,,if it works as good as you/they say, IL start using it at the shop,,I'm constantly dealing with fuel related drivability issues,check engine lights related to misfire,contaminated fuel is be coming more and more of a problem!!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:58:50 pm
I haven't experienced  any problems with the ethanol yet.  A small convenience store 5 miles away just had a remodel and is selling non-ethanol unleaded gas......I think I'll scoot over there this week and fill the enfield up to see if their is any significant change in mileage...
Oh Magoo you done it again

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:14:55 am
If you can get regular gas without ethanol, it will get better fuel economy, by approximately half the percentage of the ethanol that was in the blend you were using previously.
So, if you were using 15% ethanol, you can probably expect about 7-8mpg better, if you rejet to suit.
Ethanol has a stoichiometric ratio of about 9:1, and gasoline has about 14.5:1, so there's the difference. You use more ethanol to make power than you would use gasoline.
However, in racing situations where the compression is increased to take advantage of the anti-knock in pure ethanol or E85 ethanol/gasoline, and you use the rich mixture necessary, you can make more power with the alcohol than with gasoline. But, in street situations, using E10 or E15(the typical ethanol blends at the pump) will likely just cause you to get worse fuel economy.

The biggest problem for ethanol blends with the Iron Barrel is that rubber manifold hose that always disintegrates and rips from being eaten away by the the ethanol blend fuels. Using a section of heavy duty radiator hose helps to reduce the failure rate of that part.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 12:40:19 am
Interesting read. In Australia we use the RON octane rating method, which is a few points higher than the US for the same fuel.

I always use 98 octane (US 93-95) and I can go 315 klm before I need my reserve.
I recently tried this stuff:  http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/united/fuel/premium-100 which has 10% ethanol.

I still had 4 litres of my usual 98 ethanol-free in the tank, so it would have been mixed with the remaining fuel; but I filled up the tank with this 100 stuff. I was able to go 330 klm before I reached the reserve. I didn't notice any performance improvements or decreases, except for the extra fuel economy.

After using it though, I developed a small leak in the induction pipe and had to cut another one from a hose. Maybe it's coincidence but I'm back feeding my Bullet my usual ethanol-free brew.