Author Topic: Loose header bolts.  (Read 4340 times)

Dazzler

• Scooter
on: July 20, 2013, 10:22:58 pm
I had my dealer fit an EFI silencer at first service, 500km (300miles).  When I arrived home after a trip of 160km, which included a couple of stops, I noticed the header was quite discoloured for the first few inches where it exits the head, mostly golden brown fading out to shiny chrome over a distance of twelve inches but with blue spots or tinges near the top and particularly on the under side of the first bend where it was pure blue.  This surprised me because I am still in the break in period, conditions were cool ( winter in Australia ) and I was living within the guidelines.  I did have a brief flirt with 90kmh for around 1-2 minutes because my understanding is that between 500 and 1000km, speeds in the range of 80-90kmh are permissible.  I could have, no doubt ridden the bike gentler but I did not think I was giving it a hard time either.  I know some discolouration is to be expected particularly given that the header pipe is single sleeved as opposed to the double sleeve of the stock pipe and also given that the pipe is bolted to the head using a flat flange kind of thing rather than the usual finned variety which assists in heat dispersal.  Nonetheless I was surprised at the discolouration.  If it had been summer and I had been fanging along at 100-110kmh for an extended period I would have accepted discolouration as being par for the course.  Anyway I finally got around to putting a spanner to the header bolts yesterday during an idle moment (don't know why I did not do this earlier!) and found I could tighten them quite easily - not exactly loose but not tight and snug as I would have expected.  So now my question is, has air been entering at this point influencing the oxygen level picked up by the oxygen sensor which in turn has sent a message to the ECU to burn more lean resulting in higher temperatures and hence discolouring.  If this has happened have I compromised the engine given it has been running in this state for 3 or 4 hundred kilometres. ( I now have 880km on the odometer).  The bike is running well, starts easily and feels good on the road.  I would be interested in any feedback those more knowledgable would like to offer.  I am filled with remorse that my eagerness to get the EFI muffler with its more characteristic sound has led me into a situation where I have damaged my pride and joy and also am berating myself for not taking to heart all the injunctions I have received and read about welding myself to a wrench and becoming best buddies with blue loctite!.

Das

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 11:41:57 pm
From what I've seen, all of the EFI RE's with an oxygen sensor have bluing in the area of the O2 sensor.  I know I rode mine very easily during the break in and it still developed the colors you are describing in the upper exhaust header.

I really doubt that any air has entered your exhaust pipe thru the seal at the cylinder head and I'm equally sure you have done no damage to your engine.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Dazzler

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:00:37 am
Thanks Arizoni,  your words are reassuring.  All other indicators seem to point towards all being well however when the 'preciousness' is showing any sign of being out of sorts my mind begins to worry and tug at any loose thread that may possibly be at cause!.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:39:35 am
From what I've seen, all of the EFI RE's with an oxygen sensor have bluing in the area of the O2 sensor.  I know I rode mine very easily during the break in and it still developed the colors you are describing in the upper exhaust header.

I really doubt that any air has entered your exhaust pipe thru the seal at the cylinder head and I'm equally sure you have done no damage to your engine.

That, and once higher rpm's have become regular the stretch behind the heat shield will start to colorize too. While both colorations fall within expectation there are polishing products that will tone down the effect. I use S100, mostly because easily available here. Other products are more specific, but bluing is not on my priority list.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:29 am
To my way of thinking a lightly blued/gold/chromed exhaust pipe is a sign of maturity.
It's proof the bike is not a closet queen (as gun lovers call their never used firearms).
The machine is working well and is quite proudly showing it to the rest of the world.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 02:29:49 am
My header pipe is also quite blue just around the oxygen sensor (where it is screwed in). On the adjacent side, it's a brownish/tan colour. Then it blends in to the chrome.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 03:08:21 am
If you don't like the blueing, use Blue Job.... gets rid of it quick and easy and seems to make the blueing slower at coming back!

My header bolts were fine, I only adjusted it once when I took the header off to investigate some vibration noise.... be careful not to snap the bolts.

I actually like the blueing... gives it street cred as mine is my daily ride.
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

Dazzler

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 03:13:45 am
Thanks guys.  Sounds like it's time to stop worrying and keep on riding!  One other small query.  What is the orthodox wisdom with regard to reducing wind roar noise.  My helmet fits quite snugly yet I still contend with the roaring noise of air rushing past!  Somehow it is finding its way in and can get so noisy it takes away from the sound of the engine and exhaust.

Das

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 03:57:12 am
A full face like the Shoei RF1100 works well for me.....I have had a few other helmets and this is by far the quietest I could find.  I am sure that there are many other brands that are quiet as well.  My Z1R used to sound like a jet fighter breaking through the sound barrier at 20 mph.

Many folks end up using earplugs to avoid hearing loss....

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Dazzler

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 04:07:09 am
Yeah, thanks GSS,  I just went for cruise through the countryside and gave bluetac in my ears a go.  A considerable improvement!  I guess you know what bluetac is - maybe it's marketed under a different name in the States.  It is the stuff you use to stick posters and such onto walls.  Seems to work well in blocking the sound wave frequency of wind noise anyway!

Das

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 04:08:43 am
Earplugs. I can't afford to buy a helmet like the Shoei or Arai, so I mostly use earplugs. They reduce the wind noise and a bit of the surroundings..it is annoying, but it is a good investment if you want to save your hearing. Otherwise, for small trips, you can go without them.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 04:14:20 am
Wind noise can be a real source of hearing loss, depending on your riding habits.  Full face helmets are the best to limit noise, but can be hot during the summer months.

I'm a firm believer in earplugs, especially since I like the 3/4 helmets.  If you're feeling a little handy, you can make your own fantastic, custom-fit earplugs with nothing more than silicone caulk and corn starch.  Check the link if interested; I omitted the headphones and just make plain-jane earplugs.  They've lasted 1 1/2 riding seasons.  Durable, comfortable, and about $0.25.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Custom-Fit-Earphones/

Dazzler

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 04:29:01 am
Thanks Shamelin,  looks interesting.  Read through the link.  I'll play around a bit and see how it goes.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 08:18:17 am
1. get yourself some foam ear plugs from the chemist/bunning etc -they will do fine.
2. no drama with your silencer- sounds about normal. i put mine on at 200 kl. now at 9k plus.
3. header bolts. keep and eye on these and check them regular. they appear to be moved about a bit after fitting the efi. mine was similar to your but eventually got that loose it chopped out the gasket -literally pulped it. so do a spanner check on a regular basis. just apply a bit of pressure to the nut - if it doesn't move stop and if so tighten slightly. after a while it will settle and all is fine.
this happened with both bikes and efi mufflers so followed a pattern.
after that i purchased 3 gaskets pretty good ones too
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:40:46 pm by Kevin Mahoney »

Dazzler

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 11:31:16 am
Thanks Wild Bill.  How do you tell the gasket is no good?.  Given it is between the flange plate and the head it's kind of difficult to get a visual assessment.  I have been checking the header bolts each time I come back from a ride since I discovered them loose two days ago.  It seems they have settled into a constant state of security.

Das