Author Topic: Side cars from royal enfield zone Delhi.  (Read 3242 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 19, 2013, 02:08:06 pm
The prices quote for these are pretty low.960 usd.
Anyone know anything about these ones from India?

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 04:55:49 pm
I am assuming you mean the sidecars sold in the USA, with the "COZY" Brand Name. I am a long time side car driver for 25 + years, so I will give you my opinion.
  All the COZY's are "LIGHT WEIGHT" Sidecars. I have found that the HEAVY sidecars, with a larger displacement bike designed to pull them, to be the Best, safest, & most enjoyable to pilot. Outfits like BMW/STEIB, ZUNDAP/STEIB, URAL, DNEPR, Chinese CJ, Do function best because they were designed to be used with a sidecar. They all have Welded in Frame eyelets, & front ball attachments provisions, they all have HEAVY FLYWHEELS & DRIVE SHAFTS (suited to pulling) All these outfits are as safe as a Sidecar can be, & engineered specifically to do the job.
   WHEREAS: The lightweight accessory sidecars (COZY) are universal mount. this frequently translates to U-BOLT to frame attachment points (U-BOLTS can move or dent the frame). The UCE Enfields Aren't really suitable, because they do not have a heavy full loop frame, they have a lightweight frame, that uses the engine a structural member. The Flywheels are somewhat lighter than what I would want to pull a "Hack".  Also keep in mind the fact that pulling a hack places more of a burden on chain, Clutch-Drive Train, Brakes, Suspension, & if Improperly aligned will eat Tires like Potato Chips.
  Bikes like HARLEY DAVIDSON, PANTHER, & JAWA are the only CHAIN DRIVEN bikes suited for side car tugs, that I can think of.  You have probably heard the expression "use the right tool for the job" This is especially true when considering a sidecar outfit.
   You would be much more satisfied with a URAL. If you are mechanically inclined, they are easily owner maintained & super tough, they are reasonable on the USED market. Lots of folks buy them then decide they don't like sidecars. My first one was a 1980 Dnepr. My last one was a 1994 Ural Tourist. I owned it 7 years & loved it. but found when I moved to the mountains, it was to dangerous in the traffic on mountain roads. Sold it & bought my 2010 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe. I would NEVER use it as a side car tug. Pictures of my DNEPR & URAL outfits below.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:08:09 pm
Thanks for that Craig. Makes a lot of sense. A mate of mine from Idaho just bought a ural tourist second hand for about 5000, what a deal

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:16:33 pm
Urals are really nice rigs, and built solid as a brick outhouse.  Dead simple, even more than a UCE.  It probably has more in common with a tractor than most motorcycles.  It's just a Russian copy of a BMW, overbuilt just about everywhere.  Tons of fun and the two wheel drive model can go just about anywhere.

Scott

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 06:29:23 pm
Just watched a vid of the 2 wheel drive with a sidecar. They're riding through a forest on a dirt track just caning it and it handling it really well. They're 19000 here. About 13 in the states...

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:44:25 pm
Go to JAXED MASH online & look up Urals. There are always good deals on used ones. I paid $1,200. for my Ural Bike, & as much for a Ural hack. Had About $4k total invested + sweat equity. I rode it for some years & sold it for $5k. I miss it a lot. But if I ever move to Florida, there are others.....The newer ones have all German bearings, Kehin CV Carbs, & Nipon Denso alternator. YES!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:26:56 am
Its my understanding that the Oz urals are only one wheel drive owing to the fact that the car is on the other side and the final drive output is unable to be driving the car wheel on that side. Still an awesome vehicle though.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں