Author Topic: New member  (Read 1387 times)

flmtrain

• Neophyte
on: July 20, 2013, 01:57:03 am
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and looking for some info. I have owed many motorcycles over the years but nothing in the past 15 years. I always liked the British style bike and I am looking for a bike to run around town. I came across the Royal Enfield online and I am now interested in purchasing a 2012-2013 bullet classic C5 but wanted to know how reliable are these bike, sounds like a lot of people on here are having a lot of issues? I don't know about mechanical motors so I know I will not be able to work on it. Thanks for your time

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 02:09:24 am
One thing I think most will agree with here is the fact that more owners that have problems with their bike (any make) post about them vs. the owners off riding their trouble free bikes (which in reality there are more of) The bikes are fine, just spend some time reading up on them, and think about how much maintenance you can handle yourself, and find a friend who's mechanically inclined and knows his way around things mechanical, or a reputable shop. I have a 2001 (old version) Bullet and I haven't had anything fall off, break, or go kaput in over 2500 miles of ownership. They have to be maintained. Do that and ride! :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:37:29 am
flmtrain
Like cafeman says, very few owners actually take the trouble to become members on a web site unless they have some sort of a problem.

That results in a lot of problems being discussed on web sites when in fact, there aren't a lot of problems.

Every so often, someone like me, who just enjoys being around people who share a common interest will join.

I bought my fuel injected RE a little over 2 years ago and have ridden it for over 10,900 miles (17,580 km).
So far it has needed its main drive chain replaced and the front tire wore out.  Although it didn't need it, I also replaced the battery because the Arizona climate is hard on batteries.
The fuel level indicator quit working and although it would have been replaced under the warranty I didn't bother with it.
I've also had to replace a few light bulbs and one fuse.
That's it.

Almost 11,000 miles of enjoyment which included several 400 mile trips and almost no out of pocket expense.

This is on a Unit Construction Engine (UCE) bike that has the same engine as the C5 your considering.

The older Royal Enfields called the "Ironbarrel" is an engine that was designed in 1948 and it is a bit more work to maintain but the new UCE powered machines only need their oil and oil filter changed and occasionally the rear chain adjusted (and the tire pressure checked).

These are all things your dealer can do for you or you can easily learn to do them for yourself.  It's really not as hard as you may think. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:58:02 am
Hi flmtrain and welcome aboard.

Cafeman is spot on.

Also like his, mine is powered by the older iron barrel engine.

My neighbors UCE has provided trouble free service year round since 2009. I have ridden it and will admit that it is the better Bullet.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

flmtrain

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:03:32 pm
Thanks guys for the info. I live in Maryland and no dealers listed however one shop list service only so I am going to call them to chat about service. I current work weekly in Connecticut so that is why I am looking for a new toy while away from home. There are two dealers listed in CT so I hope to stop by one this coming week. I love the look of the Royal Enfield bikes. I am 6'-3" and weigh 210 so I hope my size will still fit comfort on the bike. I will be hanging around this forum even if I don't have any problems or issues. Take care

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 03:43:23 pm
Filmtrain, Welcome aboard!
The guys covered it.  Also note many of the problems we encounter are leftovers from previous owners who messed things up through buggery or no/improper maintenance.
Unfortunately our closest dealers are in Richmond and Winchester.  I've dealt with Velocity in Richmond and they bend over backwards.  The owner even bought my buddy and me lunch when I had to wait to test ride.  I think Guairre has dealt with the Winchester dealer, so he could give you info.
I haven't had occasion to deal with Eldersberg, but service is so simple you'll find you won't need the dealer unless it's warranty work.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:07:58 pm
The guys near Winchester are staying busy with tires and carbs. They're a bit busy for me take my wounded sprag gear problems out there. Velocity in Richmond has given me a bid on the work.
  About getting there..... 95 between DC and Stafford is plugged up north bound. I would prefer to get west to the 66 81 crossover. But, we'll see.
  Either one seems dedicated to servicing the Bullet.
Regards,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration