Author Topic: 1981 Bullet 350  (Read 1825 times)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 20, 2013, 01:22:34 am
I came across a 1981 Bullet 350 for what seems like a fair price, but it has title issues  (hence the low price)....I already own a 2012 C5, so this one would be a project bike.
anyway, could anything be done to improve the performance of the 350 4speed? Could the 5sp trans be fitted to the 350, or is it strictly a 500 unit? Could the top end be swapped for a 500 or is the bottom end different too?

Thanks for any input on the 350; I haven't bought it yet but really thinking about it.

dave
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 02:07:39 am
The 5-speed can be fitted to the 350 or the 500, but you have to convert the gearbox to right side shifting, because the left side shifter rod needs the tunnel thru the engine case, which the 4-speed models do not have. There is a kit available to change the 5-speed to right side shift, and left side brake pedal.

The top end from a 500 could be put on a 350 engine case, but there is some welding and machine work involved to enlarge the opening in the case for the larger barrel, and the stud locations must be moved outward for the 500 top end to fit.
The 350 has a slightly narrower con-rod at the small end, so it isn't really suitable for performance work on a 500 top end. But it would work in a typical low performance application, and the 500 con-rods including the Carrillo rod can be put on the 350 flywheels if you want to do a performance build.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:35:17 am
350 to 450 conversions are popular in the U.k. and from what I understand make for a very nice running and riding bullet.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:21:11 am
After giving the bike a better look, I decided against it.  Whenever the person getting rid of the bike says "it should be real easy to get it titled, I just didn't have the time" it makes me think they couldn't get it done for a reason...
Plus, for having less than 300miles it looked pretty rough.  Odd thing is I'd seen the exact same bike on craigslist last year for twice the current asking price....But it looked a lot better back then. I guess when you drop the bike, dent the tank,  and leave it out in the rain (and let the pipe and fenders get rusty) you wind up losing your behind when you try to sell it again...

Oh well, I'm sure another iron barrel will come up

thanks for the input guys
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 03:09:34 pm
Good idea, especially if you're dreaming of a Fireball or something.  No sense buying the rare-er 350 in the US if you're really looking for a 500.

Believe me, I know!!  I have a 350 into which I'll be putting a 535 Fireball...would have been much easier and cheaper to sell my 350 in India and buy another in the States.  It was the history/emotional attachment which led me down this path, though.