Author Topic: 2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500  (Read 3824 times)

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
on: July 18, 2013, 06:44:23 pm
I have recently learned that I have an odd mix of classic frame with an AVL motor.  The exhaust pipe passes right in front of the oil filter.  There is no warming the bike up and removing the cap as I can see it.  The previous owner never rode the bike more than 25 miles and then it sat in storage for 3 years.  I took charge of it and have had to remove the pipe each time to change the oil filter.  Is there another pipe that can be had to clear the filter better that will fit this application?  Thanks for any help.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:40:20 pm
 The factory original pipe for your model was a bit straighter and had tighter radius bends unlike the lovely sweeping pipe in its place now.

New or used factory pipes are certainly gettable.

Have you called CMW ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:18:19 pm
You might be able to twist the pipe coming out of the head just by loosening all the bolts and clamps. There should be some play in there. I moved mine in a couple of inches when I got the stock footpegs and rear brake pedal out of the way with rear sets. Should be possible to go the other way. 
bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:47:54 am
I have recently learned that I have an odd mix of classic frame with an AVL motor.  The exhaust pipe passes right in front of the oil filter.  There is no warming the bike up and removing the cap as I can see it.  The previous owner never rode the bike more than 25 miles and then it sat in storage for 3 years.  I took charge of it and have had to remove the pipe each time to change the oil filter.  Is there another pipe that can be had to clear the filter better that will fit this application?  Thanks for any help.

Hey Buckeroo,

You don't have "an odd mix" of frame & engine. What you have is the same bike I have: a 2008 AVL Classic. The Electra & the Classic are two separate models.

The first time I changed my oil, I had the same fiddley time as you, but I'm used to fiddling. I didn't have to remove the pipe.

Later I learned I could gain some tiny bit by loosening the header pipe & muffler nuts & cranking here & there then retightening the header pipe nuts.

It's not nearly as bad as some things I've had to fiddle with.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:59:50 am
I think the silencers position has a lot to do with how far in or out the exhaust header is positioned.

If the exhaust was loosened at the cylinder head and the silencer was moved outward a bit with a few "fender washers" to move its clamps away from the frame support it might give the extra room needed to get the oil filter in and out?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 03:19:19 am
Who is CMW?
The factory original pipe for your model was a bit straighter and had tighter radius bends unlike the lovely sweeping pipe in its place now.

New or used factory pipes are certainly gettable.

Have you called CMW ?
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 03:41:48 am
I think it's odd because it took me awhile to figure out it wasn't either a Classic or an AVL, but a mixture of the two that was made for one year, perhaps two.  The discussion groups here don't cover this in between model.  So it's frame question over there, engine question over here.  And who knows where for parts that connect, like the exhaust pipe.  I like the quiet sound and I like the curved pipe, but I don't like how it seems that there is not much play to get it away from the filter.

Hey Buckeroo,

You don't have "an odd mix" of frame & engine. What you have is the same bike I have: a 2008 AVL Classic. The Electra & the Classic are two separate models.

The first time I changed my oil, I had the same fiddley time as you, but I'm used to fiddling. I didn't have to remove the pipe.

Later I learned I could gain some tiny bit by loosening the header pipe & muffler nuts & cranking here & there then retightening the header pipe nuts.

It's not nearly as bad as some things I've had to fiddle with.
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 05:23:59 am
There are basically three different frames and the differences are fairly minor until you want to add an aftermarket item.

The three engines: the old iron barrel, the AVL and the new UCE have been mounted in all of these frames at one time or another so feel free to ask any frame question about your AVL Classic right here in the AVL forum. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 06:57:48 am
Who is CMW?

Sorry bout that.
 CMW a.k.a. Classic Motor Works is the US R.E. importer.
The parts and accessories departments were spun off into their own subsidiary awhile ago that is now know as NField Gear or NFG though many of us still (incorrectly) refer to them as CMW out of habit.

Calling on the phone is preferable to emails.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:06:38 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:32:07 pm
I think it's odd because it took me awhile to figure out it wasn't either a Classic or an AVL, but a mixture of the two that was made for one year, perhaps two.  The discussion groups here don't cover this in between model.  So it's frame question over there, engine question over here.  And who knows where for parts that connect, like the exhaust pipe.  I like the quiet sound and I like the curved pipe, but I don't like how it seems that there is not much play to get it away from the filter.

This IS the correct forum for your bike. The "Classic" forum deals more with the Iron Barrels, NOT with the AVL Classic Model which is what your bike is. The "Classic" in the Classic Forum forum does not refer to the Model Classic which is an AVL.

If you're going to deal with NField Gear for parts you have to refer to your bike as what it is: A 2008 AVL Classic. It's not an "odd" model or an orphan. It's exactly the bike (an AVL Classic) that I
& hundreds of others have so welcome to the AVL Forum & I'm just trying to help you refine your definitions here.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 01:52:10 am
Just do what Arizoni says to fix your filter problem.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 07:11:31 pm

Okay, thanks.  Talking on the phone appears to be the only way to find a solution.  Thanks for the explanation of CMW which I see commented about many places here on the forum.
Sorry bout that.
 CMW a.k.a. Classic Motor Works is the US R.E. importer.
The parts and accessories departments were spun off into their own subsidiary awhile ago that is now know as NField Gear or NFG though many of us still (incorrectly) refer to them as CMW out of habit.

Calling on the phone is preferable to emails.
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb