Author Topic: laugh of the day 2  (Read 5718 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 18, 2013, 01:26:01 pm
yesterday i got a call from another guy who wanted to know why im selling my c5. he told me about all the faults with the uce's - sprag clutch -starter motor - rusty rims - unreliability - handling problems-spark plug fouling and just went on and on.
in the end it really got too much for me and i said.
"mate i don't know why your F....en ringing me. anyway what would i know i've only had two C5's in the past 18 months.
but i do know this much - let me see you get on your iron barrel and sit it on 100kph for a straight 5 hour run with only 2 stops and at times cruising on 120 kph and see how long it lasts.
it's not for you -see-ya and i then terminated the call.
i had the iron barrel 3 or 4 years ago. sounds better than the uce but when i was parked along the road -cut out and wouldn't start-life with me was rather short

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:28:58 pm
iron barrel is on the left-no right -i dunno but its in the photo somewhere lol

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:36:15 pm
That thing was a beauty and keeper for sure..despite your 'cut out' experiences  :D  ;D And a proper RH shift too! A cast-iron RE is next on my list  ;)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 03:28:33 pm
These stories fall under "things that are funny because they're not happening to me".  I am sorry you need to deal with these jokers but please keep the stories coming. 

Scott

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 03:34:03 pm
if this keeps up i will have to forget about the cafe racer and just stick with the c5

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 03:38:34 pm
It just boggles me..why would you call a seller just to tell your own life story about how many problems the thing might have or has etc. That person probably hasn't even ridden an Enfield. Must be one of those people who browse forums trying to deduce how many problems these bikes have...and have a general disliking of the marque.

I think the safe way to go about selling a bike like this..or any other vehicle is to 'advertise' in your friend and family circle. That way you at least get some decent offers or feedback. Most of the times your friend or your distant family relative's friend's friend will buy it off you at a decent or respectable price. If all this fails, then we can proceed to advertise on the net. All this, if one is not in a hurry to sell. Just my opinion.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 04:02:45 pm
It just boggles me..why would you call a seller just to tell your own life story about how many problems the thing might have or has etc.

Because after he badmouthed it enough he was going to make a lowball offer to "Take it off your hands, mate." Americans do the same s-$^$.  Try selling something on Craig's list - you'll get 10 people who want it for free for every one that is serious about it.

P.S.  I like the way your Iron Barrel's exhaust turns just slightly out.  Do you recall what muffler that is?
Hardly isn't bad either.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 06:27:22 pm
It's standard negotiation, you point out the flaws, damage, shortcomings to lower the price a bit.  It doesn't work too well if you go overboard, if it's that bad why would you want it in the first place?

I tried to sell things on Craig's List.  I had a $100 fax machine that I used maybe five times while selling a house.  I was asking $25.  Talked to a guy for half an hour about it and he still wasn't sure if it was exactly what he wanted.  I donated it instead.

Tried to sell a Volvo, met some real kooks.  I ended up listing it on a local Volvo site and I got two sane people who called me the first day, sold it to the first one.  While the mechanic was looking over the car we compared Craig's List stories.  It seems both sellers AND buyers are kooks.  At the close of the sale I thanked her for not being insane.

Scott

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:14:16 am
The other thing bill is that it's a bit harder to sell a bike in winter. They come out of the woodwork the temp rises.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 02:03:41 am
yeah - i think winter is the drama. last c5 i sold lasted on the for sales about 2 weeks and then sold for $7250.
deposit was taken in the first few days with two others wanting to buy.
not sure of the exhaust as it was purchased exactly like that. couldn't get used to the right gear shift and was pretty lucky not to be done-in.
snow falls predicted for the weekend so that's the first for this winter

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 02:15:50 am
Bloody clowns, it's a shame you have to deal with this nonsense.

I was once selling a car for 4 grand, and it was a fair price, not the hopelessly optimistic prices some ask, and some clown offered my $900. I told him to get off my property.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 02:31:12 am
Haha,that's the spirit. You advertise a price and the morons come over and go, well i only have  blah blah, or this is all I can Afford etc.

Bloody clowns, it's a shame you have to deal with this nonsense.

I was once selling a car for 4 grand, and it was a fair price, not the hopelessly optimistic prices some ask, and some clown offered my $900. I told him to get off my property.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 02:33:19 am
Last winter I was trying to sell my Vespa. There were many online for sale at the time. I accepted this and decided to keep her. Come spring , the ad was still on bikesales and the sheeple were calling. I just waited for a mate of mine to be ready for it and gave it to him for a great price and keeping her in the family. I did 60k on that Vespa in 2 years. Loved it.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 04:23:21 am
60k -you didn't fool about at all. many problems/drama etc during the ride period

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 05:22:45 am
the vespa engine is amazing. i did blow the engine but that was a few days after i used it to tow my boat (small 14 foot sail boat) I used to thrash that thing. some days id ride it over 500kms. Incredibly reliable and it always went. simple engine. if anything ever happened id always be able to get it going in 5 minutes. I rode it without a battery for over a year. the engine rebuild cost $900. Burned a few clutches. parts and labour for a new clutch was about $250 - cheaper than a  moto ciclo service...