Author Topic: airfilter box  (Read 2004 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 18, 2013, 05:19:40 am
Does anyone know what it means when the airfilter box doesnt close properly?
Mines had a little gap near the lock for most of the bikes life. (1year)
Got a K&N filter coming so am hoping to get the most outta the machine.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:26:55 am
Are you talking about the plastic air plenum that the air filter is in, or are you talking about the metal door that covers it?

The plastic plenum should be sealed all around the cover so that any air that gets inside will have to pass thru the air filter.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 05:52:11 am
Just taking of the outer cover. The one you open and shut...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 06:03:17 am
did you try a quick adjustment on the locking system or with box open - a slight twist in either direction

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 06:06:29 am
Good.
A leak into the plastic plenum would be bad because the engine breaths it's air from the outside surface of the air filter.  A leak on its lid would let in a lot of dirt directly into the engines intake.

The metal outer cover can be a real annoyance and more than one of them has totally lost its lock.  A gap between the lid won't actually cause any harm to the engine though.

Good luck with your K&E filter.  On my G5 I lost some preformance and my fuel mileage dropped about 10 miles/gallon.
That's why I went back to the OEM paper filter and sit the K&E on my shelf to remind me that sometimes expensive things don't improve things. :(

Speaking of the metal cover, on my G5 it's a real PITA to open.
I found that in order to just turn the key I have to press the cover in at the bottom with a LOT of force.  There's a hard rubber block behind it that pushes the lower area out so hard that if I don't push it in, the key refuses to turn.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 06:18:22 am
agree with jim on both. my k&n air filter is back in the box. only rode a few kl -bike cut out and wouldn't idle.
but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. all bikes are different

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 06:29:52 am
That's interesting....read some ok reviews about the k&n

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 08:20:15 am
@sectorsteve
I had the same problem with my K&N filter, lost gas mileage as well as some power, It now sits on my shelf, pissing me off every time I see it  (cost me almost $50.00). Now I'm back to the OEM filter and all is well.
I am planning a few super modifications on my bike thanks to a really good "friend", and I have learned in the meantime that just by adding a K&N filter does not do the job, neither does it do your bike any good.  :(
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 09:49:48 am
Sounds like I just wasted $66!

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:51:29 am
Keep in mind that the K&N being free flowing will change the amount of air available to pull into the motor.  Riding just a few miles doesn't give the ECM the chance to re-teach the air fuel mixture and the bike will run poorly initially until the system remaps itself.  That's my theory at least.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:35 pm
I don't like K&N for high cost vs. performance reasons. Over the years I have come to prefer the un oiled, pleated white paper filters. When I got my G5 deluxe, I replaced the dirty original filter with a pair of new triumph pleated paper filters I had, stacked & siliconed  together. I recently found a large lawnmower pleated paper filter at O'rielly auto parts for under $5.
  I also strongly recommend capping off the crankcase breather nipple on the air box, & routing a longer crankcase breather hose up over the rear fender to vent to rear. this will prevent the oil fouling your filter, which will impede air flow etc. etc. A nice black Vinyl hose is available at Lowes. ***They also sell the best fuel hose I've found- 2 layer black vinyl & synthetic rubber.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 06:14:30 pm
My K&N worked quite well. But I have a larger K&N then most of the rest of the guys have, so that could be why it works!
Mine was for a BMW 1200C, so it definitely needed a lot more flow than the Enfield.
Twas a BM-1298
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 09:11:36 pm
Keep in mind that the K&N being free flowing will change the amount of air available to pull into the motor.  Riding just a few miles doesn't give the ECM the chance to re-teach the air fuel mixture and the bike will run poorly initially until the system remaps itself.  That's my theory at least.
HillinTx,
I would seem that would be the way it would work, but unfortunately it didn't, I had the K&N filter on my bike for over 1000 Miles and it was no good and didn't do the job.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 02:30:08 am
if i would have know -you could have tried mine for free. not as if its doing anything. never bothered trying it on my current c5. it's running well and i don't want to stuff it up ;D

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 02:35:23 am
I wish I wasn't hungover yesterday morning. I would have done more research before throwing my 77 bucks away.haha