Author Topic: Primary Gasket?  (Read 6786 times)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
on: June 12, 2008, 12:56:20 pm
For the AVL guys who have adjusted your primary drive chains, where did you get the gasket?

I can only find the iron head O-ring type gasket in the online store and the inner gasket for mating to the engine case. I can't find an AVL outer chaincase gasket anywhere.

Did I miss it?

Thanks all.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 01:15:16 pm
I haven't replaced the gastket. Just re-use it. If you're careful, you shouldn't have a problem. I do wish that it came with the o-ring system like the old ones. It would be easier to mess with.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 01:36:53 pm
Thanks. I found it after further searching. It's under Tune Up and Maintenance, Primary Service Kit, (specify AVL).

I agree. The iron head design is beautiful. One bolt and no paper gasket.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:32:36 pm

I'm feel certain that was a cost cutting move. No groove need be cut.

Paul, how did you get the primary case off? I was going to take the case off when I changed the oil, but could only get out a small amount. It seemed that there were wires attached. At least it appeared that way. I could see a wire and when gently pulling the case off the wire seemed to stretch, actually tightened up a little. So I differed the chore until later rather than force it and break a wire. :-\

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 06:11:55 pm

I'm feel certain that was a cost cutting move. No groove need be cut.

Paul, how did you get the primary case off? I was going to take the case off when I changed the oil, but could only get out a small amount. It seemed that there were wires attached. At least it appeared that way. I could see a wire and when gently pulling the case off the wire seemed to stretch, actually tightened up a little. So I differed the chore until later rather than force it and break a wire. :-\

I haven't done it yet. I'm just accumulating parts for the first service, (the gasket is on back-order by the way). Funny thing. I don't know if it's because its a 2008, but I have a neat little drain plug on the primary case near the shift lever. Great idea for keeping the mess at a minimum, but I havent seen it on any other RE until now. Might be a new feature. Anyway, I'll need the gasket as I have to adjust the chain.

I thought I read somewhere, maybe Snidal's, to be careful of wires connected to the case cover coming from the alternator. The more expert guys could answer this, but it should pop right off. I dont believe there is a ground wire inside the case which would prevent it from being removed. I'm here at work and don't have my Snidals,s CD loaded to this PC, but I'll check tonight unless someone beats me to it.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:22:57 pm
That little plug is for checking the oil level. It should just drip out.
Sorry for the confusion. I thought you had done it. Maybe someone will jump to our aid.

Thanks
Phil

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:40:11 pm
It's a level plug? That's what I get for not reading enough.

And I thought draining would be a snap.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:18:09 am
     That is a level plug, however it is for the old spec of 420cc in the kick start bike. Put the bike on the side stand (get one if you need it) and remove the plug. For regular servicing drain out as much as you can, then refill with a full liter of 20W50. This will help minimize starter clutch problems.

jimsE

• Scooter
  • Lovin the ride
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 02:27:19 am
PhilJ,
Follow the wires from the primary case joint to the connectors (2) up under the air box.  Unplug these and then the wires will come off with the outer case.  I think most of the resistance you feel is from the shift shaft seal in the case. The wires are coming from the alternator stator and the ignition pickup, both are mounted on the case.
Jim
2008 Electra, smiling jim

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 03:02:41 pm
Thanks Jim. That's very clear, unlike the manual. :(

Vince, that's over twice the recommended amount for the primary. Can you explain a little further?

Thanks
Phil

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 03:43:42 pm
     The starter clutch is above the oil level in the case. A lot of the failures I experienced were seemingly due to seizure of the clutch bearing. The factory changed the spec to 840cc- double the original spec. I started putting in the rest of the liter and I had less  starter clutch failures. It  has had no effect on the regular clutch itself. The extra oil also seem to dampen kick bake- another cause of failure. The extra oil does NOT eliminate the problem, but the improvement in longevity has note worthy.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 05:22:36 pm
Thanks Vince, an explanation like that makes it very understandable. I will up my allotment of oil to the primary, once the paperwork goes through. ;D

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 01:26:17 am

I never disconnected mine. I used a bungee net I use on the back of the bike to suspend the cover out of the way while I drained the primary and adjusted the primary chain. When done I just unhooked the net and lowered the cover back into place.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 02:48:58 pm
That's a good idea. What did you suspend it from, the bars?

More importantly, I'm curious to know if your chain needed adjustment and how much. I'm kinda surprised that a multi-row chain on a roughly 30 HP motor would stretch enough after 300-500 miles to need to be tightened up.

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 09:49:09 pm
That's a good idea. What did you suspend it from, the bars?

More importantly, I'm curious to know if your chain needed adjustment and how much. I'm kinda surprised that a multi-row chain on a roughly 30 HP motor would stretch enough after 300-500 miles to need to be tightened up.

I think I hung the front from whatever you call that hose coming out of the head and the rear from the seat rail. I was surprised at how loose the chain was too. I probably should have checked more of the initial setup after that.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)