Author Topic: anything i can do to stock exhaust for sound/performance  (Read 2438 times)

Roland

• Scooter
Is there an easy way to open up this stock exhaust pipe/muffler for better sound and less restriction without scaring the neighbors? I actually like the long sausage muffler and dont what to buy a different one if i dont have to......or is that the wise thing to do?
2008 classic AVL
1992 Harley Davidson FatBoy

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 02:17:19 am
On an older thread someone put the large muffler in a vice(protected with a rag)and ran  a long large drill trough it.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 03:04:22 am
The pipe is more of a culprit than the miffler from whtat I understand. You can get a free-flow head pipe pretty cheep. As for the muffler, if you take it off, it is a simple matter t drill from the inlet side into the baffle with about a 5/8" bit (as many holes as you like). A standard bit should be long enough. Don't worry about the noise. I have a shorty that has been drilled out. It is still not a fraction as loud as most V-twins.

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 12:34:11 pm
I really don't think it's worth saving.

It's too long and too heavy and you can purchase a beautiful, classic style silencer through our host that sounds fantastic and improves performance and do it rather cheap.

just my 2 cents. ;D

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 01:50:10 pm
Is there an easy way to open up this stock exhaust pipe/muffler for better sound and less restriction without scaring the neighbors? I actually like the long sausage muffler and dont what to buy a different one if i dont have to......or is that the wise thing to do?

The catalytic converter (at the end of the exhaust header, just before the muffler) is very restrictive. I've read where people have cut that out (even remember a how-to post on it).

I'd be reluctant to change just one aspect of the stock configuration since intake, carburation and exhaust are engineered to work together. Once you start drilling and cutting, you can't go back!

However, you might find a real good deal on a stock muffler and/or exhaust header pipe since so many of us have swapped them out.

Matt

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 05:20:15 pm
My muffler was drilled with a 3/4' drill. Done from both ends since pipe is so looooong. I little better sound. And just a little tuning on the idle screw. Absolutely will not scare a neighbor. ;)