Author Topic: How loud should an Enfield be?  (Read 3623 times)

jedtayloruk

• Scooter
on: July 16, 2013, 05:14:24 pm
Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of Bullets and am seeking your guidance. I have an old iron barreled bullet, and yes I know they aren't quiet bikes but I'm pretty sure mine shouldn't be making the noises its making!
    So what I'm asking is, how loud should a bullet be at say 45-50mph? What noises should I expect to hear? I wish I knew someone tat I could compare bikes with but sadly I don't.
Thank you for any help you can give.
Jed

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:27:01 pm
If it's a loud "chattering" it is most likely your valves are out of adjustment.  I'm not sure how to adjust the valves in that motor but will someone will come in soon on how to do it.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:38:36 pm
They clatter a little when adjusted correctly.  Here's a couple of Youtubes on how to adjust them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmgJPyCUNU
A guy in India; In English with a few phrases en Francais
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccerCWz4k3A
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:21:30 pm
Tell us what noises it is making, and we'll try to guess.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jedtayloruk

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 07:44:08 pm
OK, well the noise only really becomes intrusive at 35-40 mph and over and gets louder the faster you go. Its sounds kind of like a woodpecker is stuck in my engine   :-[    I'm terrified its going to be the big end bearing or something else horribly involved, could it be my valves are just really out? I have tried adjusting them cold, the intake one is perfect but the exhaust valve is really tight to turn and no matter what I do wont spin like the othr one.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 07:46:36 pm
Yep, sounds like you need to do a valve adjustment.  Watch the videos that D the D posted.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:25:38 pm
OK, well the noise only really becomes intrusive at 35-40 mph and over and gets louder the faster you go. Its sounds kind of like a woodpecker is stuck in my engine   :-[    I'm terrified its going to be the big end bearing or something else horribly involved, could it be my valves are just really out? I have tried adjusting them cold, the intake one is perfect but the exhaust valve is really tight to turn and no matter what I do wont spin like the othr one.

Well, check the valve adjustment, and make sure that the engine is on the correct TDC when you do it. There are two different TDC positions, and you want to be on the TDC at the top of the compression stroke, when both valves will be closed. That's important.
Then you can set the valves.

Remember, the valves are supposed to be clattering noises. You don't want them to be quiet. But, they shouldn't be overly loose either. So, set them properly, and you can then try to figure out if there is anything else making that noise in your engine.

Just to let you know, loose valves don't sound like a woodpecker in your engine. They sound like a light tapping or clattering noise.
If it is a hammering noise like a woodpecker sound that increases and decreases with rpm, then it very well might be a big end bearing gone bad. It's very common on these bikes, you know.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 12:35:26 am
how loud should a bullet be at say 45-50mph?

Quieter than a Hardley Ableson!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 06:08:15 am
Quieter than a Hardley Ableson!
Bare

They do serve a purpose you know.....
Mainly drowning out the clatter of my valves  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:11:01 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 06:14:45 am
Hello jedtayloruk and welcome aboard.

In addition to the fore mentioned valve tick you may also hear whirring from the right side of the engine as it is mainly full of straight cut gears.
 Also rattles and buzzes are sometimes normal as no two bullets are ever the same. 
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 04:55:37 pm
     Loose valves do make some horrid noises, BUT... Often when i get this question the drive chain is loose. The loose chain hitting the swing arm or frame can sound like a main bearing coming apart. So check your chain for adjustment and lube. A broken chain guard will make similar noises. Also. it's rare, but the alternator rotor will sometimes come apart. So, valves first, but do check this other stuff.

jedtayloruk

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:45 pm
Thanks for all the advice guys, I have been doing a big of exploration and Im not sure Im much closer to an answer. One thing is for sure, I need a new exhaust valve pushrod as this one is at he end of its adjustment so I cant get the valves right.
     I started it up today to try and have a good listen, it sounds like the noise is coming from the rear of the cylinder, pretty much in te area of the carb and fiter. Now, its a non standard pancake type filter on there, I wonder if the bike is set up incorrectly and could be popping out of the carb into the filter and thats what im hearing. I suppose that would change with the rpm, and when I put my hand on the back of the filter when riding it feels like something is tapping the other side.  ???
anyway, the mystery continues. Btw I just sold my harley to buy the enfield so Im used to a bit of clatter  ;D

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 10:01:29 am
The push-rods aren't really liable to any significant wear. If you are short of push-rod adjustment, I can think of a couple of other causes.

1) A valve stem cap is missing from the valve stem. I have seen an example of Bullet cylinder head where this hardened steel component was missing and the rocker arm had eaten into the unhardened valve stem quite badly. You would only need to remove the rocker covers to check for this problem.

2) A valve seat dropped slightly. This would require cylinder head and valve removal for inspection. A loose valve seat is fairly common on these bikes and would certainly make all kinds of racket.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 12:19:53 pm
Mine and other Enfields i've driven are sort of noisy at low rpm's and speeds but once you settle in on a steady 80-90kmph ( say 50mph) all the noises settle down and you hear the exhaust only. Its valid to say that maybe the sounds cannot be made out due to higher speed but I do feel the engine gets into it's "happy region" at those speeds and quiets down considerably.
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 07:53:08 pm
a thought...

Could anyone with a Db meter do some tests on the bike at various speeds and rpms... a WELL tuned and adjusted buke that is.

might not be viable because of variables unseen by me but eh, just a thought.
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.