Author Topic: I See A Tailpipe & I Want It Painted Black  (Read 1959 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: July 16, 2013, 04:28:10 pm
  This question is related to the discussions we've had on these two threads about baffles & jets & header pipes & it's come about because when I have a bike that isn't running (waiting for gaskets) I get twitchy & can't just leave it alone.

I'm thinking of wrapping the header pipe black & spraying the Brit bottle muffler black with wood stove or BBQ paint.

I want to use the Brit bottle because I have a baffle that will fit into it in case it's too loud (or untuneable) with the header pipe hot tube removed (I hope NOT to have to do this). The Brit bottle "silencer" is totally wide open - no baffling of any kind.

Anyway - my question is to guys who have changed their whole exhaust to black - have you been happy with it? Anybody wish they hadn't? Any comments appreciated.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

rural earl

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:51:24 pm
That should be a workable finish if you thoroughly sand the chrome first.  The paint probably won't last too long regardless, but it'll stick better if you abrade the chrome substrate.  Plan to renew the paint at least annually.  Maybe the automotive products available are better than the BBQ enamels, maybe not.  My wife's scooter pipe needs repainted at least once a year.  I use Krylon BBQ enamel, flat black.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:17:51 pm
That should be a workable finish if you thoroughly sand the chrome first.  The paint probably won't last too long regardless, but it'll stick better if you abrade the chrome substrate.  Plan to renew the paint at least annually.  Maybe the automotive products available are better than the BBQ enamels, maybe not.  My wife's scooter pipe needs repainted at least once a year.  I use Krylon BBQ enamel, flat black.

Thanks, Earl, but I should have been clearer, I guess.

I was more looking for comments on the "look" of black on the Enfield from people who've done it & whether they're glad they did it or not rather than how to do it. I've done other bikes with spray black & I know it goes grey after a while. I can deal with that.

And as you can see from my pictures on the other threads, I Scotch-Brited the chrome off long ago. Krylon's pretty good as you say. Dupli-Color is also good. I even used brush-on wood stove paint on a muffler back in the mid-'70s.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:06:42 pm
I have the D&D exhaust in black on my C5 Military and really like the appearance.

For painting your own, I would recommend using the high-temp header paint - available at most auto parts stores.  I used the silver on the exhaust header of a classic Mini and saw no discoloration after several months of driving.

rural earl

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:57:55 am
Gotcha.  Flat black always looks good to me.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:56:17 am
  Well, I did the two pieces black this week after I cut the hot tube out. I mounted everything this morning. It's so bloody hot I was sorry I started.

The system is totally open now with the hot tube removed so I knew I would go lean (& loud). I left the needle at the same height, traded the 15 Pilot for a 17.5 & set the mixture screw to one (1) full turn out.

Two kicks with no enrichener & she started & was purring like a kitten. I let it run 'til it started smoking & shut 'er down. Went up & drank a gallon of water & went back down in an hour. Started & purred first kick. Ran it again 'til it smoked.

Put some clothes on then (hated to) & went for a ride. Rode for about a half hour in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th up & down & around. No flat spots, no bogging down, no popping or farting, just silky smoothness. I'm very close. Just might need some fine tuning on the mixture probably.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 08:13:16 pm
Nice!  :D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King