Author Topic: Stopping the right way?  (Read 1638 times)

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
on: July 16, 2013, 03:30:04 am
So maybe this website should have a 'Beginner Rider' thread haha, because this question is definitely most suited for it.

I went riding today along the Delaware River and finally got up to 4th gear on my new B5. Is it appropriate to just pull the clutch in and shift down while applying the front/rear brake? I sometimes will downshift and let the clutch out and let the lower gear slow the bike down, but in 4th gear I feel like that may cause damage going that fast.

I'm sure I'll learn all this stuff next week at the MSF course, but come on, you expect me  not to ride until then?  8)
2013 B5 Bullet 500

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:27:05 am
It's ok to engine brake as long as you're slowing down while down shifting.  Sounds like you're getting to know the gears/RPMs.  Just be smart and not rev the motor too high and you'll be fine.  And in case you were wondering, it's safer have higher RPMs while down shifting than putting a load on the motor while accelerating.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:37:26 am
That eases my mind some, Thanks Scottie!
2013 B5 Bullet 500

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 04:43:59 am
I always downshift to brake unless my speed is too great to do it safely - as in the rear would break loose just like the brake was locked up.   Then I just wait until the speed is down a bit before I do.  Yes you can downshift and use the brakes at the same time.  You'll learn through practice when to do it and when not to.  There's a big difference in the feel.
The advantage is that if you do need to accelerate, and it can happen, then you're in the proper gear to do so.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 05:04:18 am
...........I'm sure I'll learn all this stuff next week at the MSF course, but come on, you expect me  not to ride until then?  8)

The correct way to stop is with the tires perpendicular to the road surface and the seat under the rider.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:26:00 am
Like the others said, it's ok to downshift while your braking but concentrate on the braking and watching the road first.  A loose patch of sand or some oil on the road could lock up the tires.  Where car drivers can (and do) ignore these things a bike rider has to be constantly aware of them.

Anyway, shift down only one gear at a time (unless your stopped). 
Listen to the speed of the engine.  When it's dropped a bit then you can think about downshifting to the next lower gear.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:30:45 am

The correct way to stop is with the tires perpendicular to the road surface and the seat under the rider.
[/quote]

Oh, that's what I did wrong
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

Joash

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 02:26:25 pm
I think a begginer rider thread,(or sub topic)  specific to the bullet, is a great suggestion...would be nice to get the experts' views on basic stuff as it applies to the RE.. supplementing what most MSF courses teach> eg There was a recent discussion on clutch use/wet clutch/friction zone that had great info for novices like me.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 03:43:54 pm
I should add this as a general rule.  While slowing down with the bike in gear, as the bike starts to reach 'Idle" RPMs you are most definitely safe to downshift.  Keep that in mind and with practice you will learn the RPM ranges of each gear at different speeds.  With enough practice and experience on a bike, your brain and body will start working instinctively together, and before you know it, you no longer have to "think" about what to do make your bike do what you want.  Though THIS will generally take a few years and hundreds of hours of ride time to accomplish.  You'll learn about all that good stuff in the MSF course.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 06:05:06 pm

Oh, that's what I did wrong

Yeah, I did it laid over once.  You'll only try to stop that way once.
I should add; the correct way is upright going straight as possible.  They'll teach you that in class.  They'll also teach you how to get upright and straight if you need to do emergency stop while in a turn.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:07:12 pm by D the D »
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH