Author Topic: Three day ride comin' up to Winthrop, WA  (Read 2998 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
on: June 12, 2008, 08:39:45 am
My buddies have more free time than I and so I have missed out on a few rides. But not this weekend coming up.! I got a call Monday asking if I wanted to ride June 14 -16.

The call couldn't have come at a worse time! My water heater had just split and I was missing work and we were short-handed. (Stress and guilt!) My head was not in the right space at the time. I'd been stressing out on work, missed gardening opportunities (due our rotten weather) and my "better-half" being gone away on business. And how was I going to arrange time off on such short notice?? But I eventually got my priorites aligned and my laundry room dried out :)

At first we intended to loop the Olympic Peninsula clockwise, using the Forest Service roads rather than Hwy 101. This would mean more food to be carried and a slow, dusty, challenging, but extremely fun adventure far from the maddening crowd. We got together Tuesday night to map out the route. The route planning helped reset my switches and I was now focusing on the adventure.

So this morning I get another call. Would I be okay with a route change to Winthrop, WA and ride around the Methow Valley? Complete venue change. Lush and cool to warm and dry... (hopefully)

I had spent Tuesday writing out a pack list...I think I'll need to tow a trailer... hmmm.
It's amazing given the HP and size of a motorcycle, that carrying stuff can be more of a hassle than backpacking .

I regrouped and gave thought to my X-country ride in 1981. I had a Kelty Summit pack, a small pup tent, sleeping bag, pad, a few clothes and a stove. All was slung in a tidy parcel across the back of a barebones R75/5 Beemer. I took a month to go from Port Angeles, WA to Boston, MA. (Of course, I was a lot younger then... ;))

So I threw out the trailer option and began paring down tonight. Haven't got much time to pack and prep. Friday (day off) will be a hi-speed bike prep day. Cross my fingers!!!

Four of us will leave PA Sat. AM (Kim's Honda TransAlp, Kim's son Mike on a new Kaw KR250?, Bill's Kaw. KLR650, and me Bullet) and meet up with a "Long Way Round" 1200 BMW around Mt. Vernon. There are some nice two lanes up that way along the Skagit. I haven't been to the Methow Valley in a long time.

There hopefully will be plenty of photo ops, so I won't forget my camera this time!!

I have been sweating the tent situation. We own a huge, three-person dome that hasn't been used in years. And we have a newer leaner two-person that we use on canoe camping to Ross Lake, WA. Both are too bulky for a one person M/C outing.

As if in answer to my dilemma, a lady friend of ours was in my store today, heard of my upcoming trip and offered up an unused, one person pop-up tent suitable for bike camping. The Gods are listening...

Omigosh! I remember I just installed my spare clutch cable after a roadside breakdown last weekend. I have no spare and Vince is out of Premiums... !! What to do? I planned to call Vince this AM.

But wait, what's this? My cell phone is ringing at work! It's Vince! He just got in the premium clutch cables and it dropping one in the mail to me. I look skyward with great reverence. Thank you Gods of Olympus!! And thank you, Vince!

BTW, my new water heater, with stainless steel lines and brass ballcock valves, it looks way better than anything professionally installed.

-Jesse, gearing up.
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 11:08:11 pm
So how did the trip work out for ya Jess?  I've been wanting to do the North Cascades road, but am a liitle concerned about the "high speed" access roads to get there. 
Considering hooking a ride to Sedro Wooley, then access the highway from the back way through Darrington. 
Hows' that solo seat work for that long a time in the saddle?

Oops, the weed eater is calling!!

Steve J. Puy/P.A.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:51:49 am
Hey All,

Pictures of the Winthrop trip are up in the Gallery under "Interesting Trips". The photos ended up in reverse order (How?). The last one of the "story" is the first on Page 1. It "Starts" on Page 3, just to the left of Chetan's photos. I suppose you could "read it" backwards if ya' wanna'.... :O)

We left Port Angeles at 9:30 am on Saturday the 14th of June 2008 to try and make our ferry reservations in Port townsend. The lack of a good ferrry on the run has limited the service and has strained the system. Humph!

We need not have worried. The gas crisis has changed that!  The ferry was less than half full. There was one RV on the ferry and I think we only saw two more during the entire trip on a beautiful weekend. For every car there must've been two motorcycles. Winding roads, gorgeous views, great bikes, best friends, and near empty campgrounds.

Ennie soldiered well. She maintained 55-60 easily except on the last steep climbs over the passes and then she did well at 45 and ... No Traffic! :O)

This trip was a great one. Minimal traffic and fantastic environment. I guess I'm fortunate.

Last September my wife and I took an anniversary camping trip (with the pickup, tent and canoe, no motorcycle) on Vancouver Island, B.C. We were warned of logging trucks taking precedence over all other vehicles opn the mostly gravel roads of the island. As luck would have it the log truck drivers were on strike the entire time we were there and we saw not a one! The island was devoid of anything resembling traffic except around Victoria. Another great future motorcycle destination! (The gang is planning a trip to Vancouver Island in August)

If ya' want to travel by bike this is the summer to do it IMHO. No "cage" drivers can afford the drives and RV's are about out of the question. Open roads!!

-Jesse, still grinnin'....and the solo seat worked great, Steve!
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 11:41:21 pm
Jess,
  Just looked at your pictures, what a great time you guys must have had.  Wonderful photos, good trip report.  I'd encourage anyone to go touring on a Bullet
Thanks,
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com