Author Topic: Short term exhaust repair solutions?  (Read 5556 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 11:06:05 pm
Also, you can go to any body shop in your area and just tell them you need some scrap sheet metal to practice on and I'm sure they'll have a few fenders or something laying around.  That way you can tear up scrap metal practicing as opposed to tearing up your exhaust.  If you plan on going this route and need some pointers on how to weld properly, send me a PM.  I've been welding and doing custom fab work for about 7 years.  Actually, I started welding way before that, but I got pretty damn good about 7 years ago.    ;)

Scottie

Yup.... easy peezy with a little practice.  Steady hand is the key and bracing your work . And wear a mask under your Hood !! That Flux wire is nasty stuff to breath in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI7GOVrB33c
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:09:11 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 11:12:30 pm
If anyone is interested I found some information about "JB Stick".

"Product Description :
Epoxy Adhesive, Wet/Dry, Dark Gray, 2 oz, Stick, Temp 300 F, Application Time 20 Min, Full Cure 2 to 30 Min, Shear Strength 1000 PSI, Bonds Ferrous and Non Ferrous Metals, Pewter, Porcelain, Ceramic, Marble, Glass, PVC and ABS, Concrete, Fiberglass, Wood, Fabric, Paper and Many Porous and Non Porous Materials, For Repairing and Bonding Heavy Duty, Automotive, Home, Industrial, Farm and Marine Situations
Type : Waterproof, Petro, Chemical, and Acid Resistant, Size : 2-Oz. Stick, Temp. Range : Up to 500 Degrees F, Full Cure : 60 Min., Application : For Repairing and Bonding Heavy Duty, Automotive, Home, Industrial, Farm and Marine Situations "

And JB High-Heat Epoxy Putty Stick

"Product description:
J-B Weld's High Heat Epoxy Putty is able to withstand continuous heat of up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and intermittent heat up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Features 800 PSI strength at room temperature and 600 PSI strength at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Perfect for tail pipes, mufflers, machinery, engine blocks, and exhaust manifolds. This epoxy putty is 3 times stronger at high temperatures than conventional epoxy putties. Sets in 1 hour, cures in 8 hours, and dries a machine grey color."

Seeing as how the broken area of the silencer will get well over 800 degrees F., I would save my money to pay some welding shop to do the job.

As for the Harbor Freight welder, before it can be used you must have good eye protection.
Welding with an arc wilder without a arc welding mask will make you blind for life.

Also, welding thin material is definitely not easy.  It is easy to burn giant holes thru the material though.  That's why it is well worth the money to just pay someone who is experienced to weld it up.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 11:40:00 pm
Have to laugh.  Our buddy wants to patch a crack for a week until his new muffler arrives.  Where do we go?  "Buy a welder, get some scrap steel, teach yourself to weld, then patch it."  Man, can we lose sight of the goal fast!  Especially if it involves sparks and other dangerous things!

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 11:50:18 pm
I've never had one, but what you aught to do is... ;D :P
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 03:30:23 am
For 10 bucks I bought some muffler and tailpipe adhesive  tape that is heat resistant to 260 degrees Celsius. Sounds promising and should do the trick!
Back in nz my dads a mechanic. Those days  are gone of being Able to rip car engines out at home, get dad to weld something etc, arc welders mig welders EVERYTHING.