Author Topic: Headlight jumper modification  (Read 1033 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: July 14, 2013, 06:26:44 pm
This is just a thought. n I have not tried it yet, but I might if I can figure it out in a way that looks like it belongs on the bike.  I have not removed the jumper as Georgia law required the lights to be on at all times.  A weak battery would make it a problem to start with the headlights on, but removing the jumper could result in a ticket if you forget to turn lights on.  Suggestion:  Remove the jumper and put a bright LED across the switch.  With the switch off, the LED is on when the ignition is on.  With the light switch on, the LED is shorted and goes off.  When the switch is off, current flows through the LED and the lights, but the current draw of the LED is not enough to light the headlamp and would not be a noticeable load even on a weak battery trying to turn the starter.  But where to mount the LED so it looks right?  GA-DK

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:34:21 pm
I installed the LED voltage guage sold by our sponsor at Nfieldgear and connected it to the gray "parking light" lead to the headlight.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12424.msg137999.html#msg137999

With the headlight switch turned to the parking or main headlight position the meter shows the system voltage and is a reassurance that at lest some of my running lights are on.

Arizona law doesn't require the headlight to be on during the daylight hours but I always ride with mine on for safety.  I also have got into the habit of using the yellow "flasher" switch on the left grip to "zap" all oncoming cars that look like they might decide to turn left in front of me.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:54:06 pm
I also live in Georgia, & have done the headlight mods. I frequently ride without any of my lights on during daylight hours, & no one has hit me or yelled at me (perhaps they think I'm on an antique). I bought a 7" diamond cut reflector with a pilot light socket, in which I run a Blue LED. It actually is visible & technically legal if I choose to turn to "Running Lights". I'm saving my blue Xenon expensive headlight bulb for night time. See picture of my lighting setup below.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure