Author Topic: Cracked stock exhaust on 1 year old C5  (Read 3640 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 14, 2013, 09:49:22 am
Went for Sweet long ride today. Highly recommend the peats ridge road to hunter valley. Lots of funky hick pubs and wineries with a roaring fire. Loads of bikes, no cars. Started to notice a weird sound down below. Gave the exhaust a little shove with my foot and it felt loose. On closer inspection she is cracked right through. As Aussie importer is a complete dick and I've told him so, I'm not gonna bother with the warranty as he wont honor it and besides there's  no point replacing the stock with another stock - not that he would give me a replacement anyway. Any cases of him honoring the warranty? I've only heard of him not honoring the warranty. ANYWAY.
What's peoples opinions on aftermarket exhausts. Not too sure if I wanna take the centre stand off though. I saw in a shop in Wollongong they have a EFI upswept for 290. I'm reluctant to buy off him because I'd be giving money to the importer and he can kiss my hairy , besides I'm pretty sure the crap we get e is the junk from India that will probably not last. I saw a guy recently with a 1 year old EFI muffler and it was rusted to shit.
 I don't wanna keep replacing exhausts, sprockets etc made from cheap junk.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:52:08 am by Sectorsteve »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 11:50:29 am
hitchcocks - efi silencer- simply as that ;) you can make a mistake and buy one - but i thought they were that good i bought another for my second c5.
after that a shock story - ride with the best hagons

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:54:52 am
hitchcocks - efi silencer- simply as that ;) you can make a mistake and buy one - but i thought they were that good i bought another for my second c5.
after that a shock story - ride with the best hagons

+1
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 12:30:41 pm
Thanks for that. Hey wildbill sorry I didn't reply re shocks. I'm 100 kg so your shocks won't suit. Need shocks though as she's starting to bottom out. Hey next trips to orange next weekend.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 01:04:25 pm
I've gone full circle with exhausts. Replaced the stock with the Watsonian Goldstar early on, upswept fitting, looks great, improves performance, sounds the biz. Then tried el cheapo Indian Electra exhaust, looks good, sounds good, backfires like buggery. Then Hitchcocks EFI, looks good, goes well, very loud. Tired of the racket I re-fitted the stock a few days ago. Sounded so civilised but ugly looking and plodding performance. Yesterday re-fitted the upswept Watsonian Goldie and had a long evening ride across the moor to Plymouth & back the long way. Happiness restored. I love it, my bike loves it, but earplugs essential...
It has a very particular and beautiful growl on deceleration which takes me right back to the North Circular long long ago, watching those Ace Café boys out the window of my dad's car...
I'm looking for another to keep as spare.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:15:25 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:27:55 pm
hey will. i do like tht exhaust, but thats the one that requires you taking the center stand of right?
i might just have to do that!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:59:41 pm
No. You'll be delighted to know it just bolts straight on :)
 You can fit it straight, or upswept using the angle piece from Hitchcocks (the Watsonian angle is too long and requires cutting the front pipe).
Hitchcocks do a Goldie too, and I'm sure it's fine, but I love the growl of the Watsonian one.
According to their website, they still have them, but aint cheap - £105 inc VAT (@20% in UK) plus p&p :o
http://www.royal-enfield.com/shop/accessories/36/220/royal-enfield-accessories/exhausts/P-goldstar-silencer

Here's an old pic from when I first fitted it in 2010 (must be very early on - I see the deadly Avon Sado-Masochismeisters are still on the bike...They didn't stay on for long... ;))
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 06:13:55 pm by WillW »

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 11:52:07 pm
My bazooka bracket broke thru. I used a wire feed welder, and then painted it silver.

Too many pot holes....I guess.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-ENFIELD-BULLET-SILENCER-BRACKET-NUTS-FREE-112165-ROYAL-SPARES-BRAND-NEW-/171073386908?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item27d4c4b99c
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 02:19:24 am
105 ? I thought they were 150? If its 105 I'll buy from hitchcocks. I'm so broke right now though so I'll have to wait a week til someone pays up.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 02:24:31 am
I need to check but I think I may need a complete exhaust cause of where it broke

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 07:21:48 am
Steve,
VAT doesn't apply to Oz, although there may be import duty etc if you are governed by similar thieving bastards to ours.
The Watsonian efi Goldstar is £87.50 ex VAT
The Hitchcocks efi Goldstar is £75 ex VAT
They're not the same. The Hitchcocks one has a removable baffle (the kind you bolt thru the end of the pipe) and the Watsonian one has an inner & outer pipe with a layer of  material between.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58:59 am
thanks again, good thing you mentioned that as i was just putting an order through. If you buy a few items you can usually get past the local GST (same as Vat) But if i bought a massive order,  id probably have to pick it up from customs and the thieves will be waiting with hands out - unless items are over 2 years old. When i moved here from new zealand the assholes made me pay GST on some musical instruments id bought a year before that i already bloody paid tax on in nz. pricks. Had i known this i would have said items were older...next time ill know what to say...
So you think the Watsonian over the Hitchcocks?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:01:01 am by Sectorsteve »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:11:57 am
I've not tried the Hitchcocks Goldstar Steve, only the other one, their "classic" efi silencer. It's a bit louder than my Watsonian Goldstar, with baffle in or out! I imagine their Goldie is similar, it uses the same baffle system so can be adjusted a bit.
I bought the Watsonian one back then because I knew it worked on the efi bikes - it's the same one fitted to the Clubman model. I'm sure the Hitchcocks one works just as well, it's just personal taste/cost in the end. They both look the same on the bike. I've been tempted to try it myself but I know I'm already hooked on that Watsonian growl  8) ::)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:37 am
sweet. i didnt actually mind the stock exhaust. my thinking was that i didnt really need everyone to hear me come home and leave home in my neighbourhood. but they do sound great and the bike feels great with these exhausts. i remember when i test drove one with the upswept exhaust. it had heaps of power and sounded great. Thats what sold it to me so i guess i should go with it!

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:07 am
with postage, it makes the price of the exhaust from hitchcocks about $40 cheaper...kinda not sure if its worth it. Ive sent email to importer to see what he says about warranty. Apparently the stock exhaust is worth a tonne of dough - around 600 squid!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 06:42:41 pm
WARNING...The upswept exhaust with the bend in the pipe at both ends is notorious for the baffling coming loose and rattling around. Not a good piece of kit! I was gong to get one, then got an EFI instead, which had no problems in 15,000 miles. A friend bought the upswept and with a few months and a couple of thousand miles was rattling. The same problem has been noted on this forum by other people.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 06:47:17 pm
Also, you can get a half dozen or more mufflers from Emgo.  Most larger online moto retailers carry them.  Generally good quality and good quality chrome, though it's almost certain to discolor on any modern bike because they run so lean and hot.  They're mostly in the $70US price range.  I've had one on for a year or more.  I think the bracket is starting to bend a little but I've had no other issues.  I'd happily buy one again.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15416.0.html

Scott

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 03:24:18 am
Thanks again. So the classic EFI then instead of upswept? Is that the one you mean bare?