Author Topic: English Bulldog Owners Help Please!  (Read 1408 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 13, 2013, 05:41:59 pm
Hi.  It seems Louie got into some poison ivy or something on our camping trip.  He has small bumps on his sides and what appears to be hives on his lower legs, tummy and groin area.  We gave him a bath hoping it would relieve some of his discomfort, but as soon as he got out of the bath tub he started rolling on the floor again and rubbing his face and sides on anything he can.  I'm going down to store to get him some Benadryl right now.

Anyone's help or experience with these symptoms on their Bully would be greatly appreciated.  We do have an appointment with the vet made but we can't get him in until Friday.  Thanks!

Scottie

P.S.  I HATE seeing my little boy so miserable.  :(
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:18:42 pm
Benadryl is all I know to use.  He'll just rub and lick off any lotion.
I wonder if there's a Vet on this forum.  I think they're mostly Starbucks H-D owners.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:10:07 pm
I think I'd take him to the vet Scottie. Could be something he ate and isn't from the trip. I didn't think dogs can get poison ivy.  ERC   
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 07:17:29 pm
I don't think it's a food allergy.  He's on a fairly strict diet of specialty bulldog food and the occasional peanut butter treat and cheese.  He doesn't really get table scraps unless it's a small piece of steak, pork or chicken.  He does seem to be feeling better now that I gave him some Benadryl, he was finally able to lay down and get comfortable enough to take a nap.  I'll just have to keep a close eye him today and see how he's feeling this afternoon.

Scottie

Darkside

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:48:21 pm
Give Him a good bath using Aveeno oatmeal bath if you don't have that try regular oatmeal. Benadryl is great to stop him from itching in the meantime.
NON TIMEBO MALA.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:30:24 am
Scottie, bullies can indeed get poison ivy. It's true with many of the bull breeds. They have extremely sensitive skin. The poison ivy oil tends to cling to the fur. You may have bathe him a couple of times. The oatmeal bath is a good idea and the benadryl helps. Just keep an eye out for skin infections. If you have any doubts, please call your vet. They are wonderful dogs. cochi ;D ;D   

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:08:14 am
Thanks for your input guys.  Lou is definitely more comfortable after this mornings dose of Benadryl and a long nap.  I will try the oatmeal bath tomorrow.

Scottie

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:28:55 am
Glad to hear your pooch is recovering..... He might get used to a porridge bath...and expect one every day... :) give him a pat from the UK from me
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.