Author Topic: AVL 2007 Electra 500 cc oil level  (Read 6587 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 04:40:14 pm
And as far as parking it; you don't need it exactly at TDC to prevent wet sumping while sitting.  Bring it up against the hard compression and she won't drain oil down into the crankcase.
As for kickstarting, do what Scottie says.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 05:35:53 am
Thank you.  I have been noticing the way it feels as I kick it over and when it is ready for starting.  Sometimes I notice a clank from the transmission like the kick starter lever pawl is slipping.  I have started kicking it over slowly to eliminate this from happening.  Am I in jeopardy of a damaged pawl somewhere?
I'll try and make this fool proof:

Using very light, slow pressure, press the kick start lever with your foot.  When the piston is traveling "up to" or "down past" TDC there will be little resistance on the kick start lever and will move freely.  Continue to lightly and slowly move the kick start lever until it requires force to move it any further, you are now JUST BEFORE TDC.  Give a quick 1/4 kick, NOT A FULL KICK OF THE LEVER, call it a "nudge" and it should put the piston right where you need it.

Scottie
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 01:35:32 pm
Not sure...    ???  I do know that my kick starter slips sometimes, and when it does, I always slam my knee into the side of the bike, usually the frame just under the seat.  It sucks, but I'm not sure what the cause is.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 03:28:11 pm
I do know that my kick starter slips sometimes, and when it does, I always slam my knee into the side of the bike
+1 same happens to me.  Not sure if this means the pawl is on it's last legs or if its normal.  I figure, i"ll just keep doing what I do until something significant changes; then I'll deal with it.  In the meantime, just ride and enjoy
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra