Author Topic: Krankvent  (Read 3314 times)

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 12, 2013, 05:30:25 pm
Just wanted to let anyone know who might be thinking about getting a Krankvent breather but are put off by the crazy pricing out there (near $100) that there is a guy selling a few on fleabay for about $40 and a tick over $5 for postal shipping (not the $15+ for UPS shown on his listing). I got one from him this past Monday, its a 3/8" barb (both ends) style, and actually works for multiple applications other than the what the listing shows (H-D) 
Current listing as of July 14:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyke-Krankvent-for-Evolution-Big-Twin-Models-with-Screamin-Eagle-Breather-Kit-/290945554191?vxp=mtr

No connection to him, or ulterior motives, just though someone might like to get a real good bargain ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:51:43 pm by cafeman »

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:17:04 pm
Wished I'd waited now!  That's the same one I put on my Bullet at less than half the cost.  If you don't believe Ace that this is a great mod, you'll just miss out.  It stopped my bike from blowing oil.
And anyone concerned because they read online that the thing "clicks" or "rattles"; if you can hear it over your lifters then your pushrods are too tight.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:54:13 pm
I agree, as I just got back from a good ride with it installed, and I have no oil on the underside of the rear fender or anywhere on the rear of the bike. I have it spaced about 5" away from the breather pipe on the case, and then ran a long hose up and through the top of the frame, then under and ending even with the rear fender using 1/2" hose (I put short pieces of 3/8" thin wall hose on the Krankvent barbs and then fit the 1/2" hose over them so no need for hose clamps etc) It does make more of a subtle popping sound (at the hose end) in unison with the exhaust note at idle, kinda neat......so you know it's working ;)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 05:30:48 am
For those new to Enfields, this part is a "duckbill". It regulates the crankcase pressure by being a one way breather for the crankcase. When it is working, the crankcase is a less than atmosphere pressure chamber. This stops the motor from blowing oil out.
If you haven't checked your duckbill, it's good to know if it is in good shape.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:44:35 pm
Damn, now I wish I hadn't been so pro-active...!  Good deal.

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 02:13:31 am
OK.  So I have the hose to cup setup that is getting worn and near needing to be replaced.  I've read Ace's posts on the advantages of the duckbill and was going to go that route but was just going to get the hose with the duckbill from nfield gear (the simple one, like all the Bullets have in India).  Why do I need this fancy deal?  Just better quality, lasts longer, etc....?  Or does it actually function better?  Just curious.  I'll probably just buy the fancy one anyway.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 03:28:52 am
I think if you go with the simple duckbill routed properly you'd get the same results. The Krankvent is just a glorified version with some "shine" to it I think. The Duckbill works just fine from what I've read, the only reason I went for the Krankvent was because of the huge discount. It works, but it's nothing ground breaking or special. Forgetting cost, I'd just go with what works.  :)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:52:50 am
I think if you go with the simple duckbill routed properly you'd get the same results. The Krankvent is just a glorified version with some "shine" to it I think. The Duckbill works just fine from what I've read, the only reason I went for the Krankvent was because of the huge discount. It works, but it's nothing ground breaking or special. Forgetting cost, I'd just go with what works.  :)

If you start going over 5500 rpm, you'll definitely notice the difference.
The KrankVent is better.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 03:59:46 am
The KrankVent is better.

I guess I need one of these then.     ;D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 12:45:50 pm
The KrankVent is better.

I don't doubt that, right now I have no idea what rpm's I'm taking my engine up to, definitely not that high. I'm pretty easy on it. But, come this winter (or afterwards when the engine work is complete ;D ) I'll have an engine capable of running at those speeds, and at least I'll have the breather issue taken care of for certain ;)

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:58:08 pm
Wow this thing is loud.  I currently have it routed up under the seat then down towards the airbox.  Any suggestions on how to route this thing? 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 05:20:45 pm
Wow this thing is loud.  I currently have it routed up under the seat then down towards the airbox.  Any suggestions on how to route this thing?

Having the Krankvent close to the engine breather outlet is good. Then route the hose after it up high, and lead it along the fender brace to the rear of the bike.
There is no need to have it go to the airbox. That's just pollution control stuff. Plug the hose that goes to the airbox. Vent the Krankvent to the atmosphere.
Home of the Fireball 535 !