Author Topic: What is the typical wait time on parts??  (Read 3822 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: July 12, 2013, 04:53:09 am
My RE has been in the shop since 02 June 2013. They have ordered parts needed after I laid my bike down. They are still waiting on a front fender. I have a 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet G5 Classic in Green with gold pinstripes.

Is a wait time of more than a month for a basic body part normal?
I'm using an authorized Royal Enfield Dealer and paying cash. No insurance stuff to deal with. So why the wait.

If Royal Enfield plans to go to be "The world leader in mid size motorcycles" this is not going to be the way to do it. I love the motorcycle, I love the character, its a blast to ride. But I don't know what to call this kind of a wait for a fender.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 04:56:25 am
It's just a fender.  Ride the bike until it comes in and then take it back to have it replaced.  That is if you're all healed up and ready to get back in the saddle.    ;)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:06:57 am
Yeah, I think I am going to have them do all of the rest of the work on my bike. Then whenever the fender comes in I can have them swap it out.

Im ready to get back in the saddle again. But I will be hitting a parking lot and doing some practice first thing. Because I havent ridden in over a month now.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:08:02 am
I kinda doubt that the warehouse has every part for every model in every color just sitting there waiting for someone to crash and need it.

Seems like when I bought my 2011 G5 I wanted the dark green model but they didn't have any in stock.  That's why I bought the Deluxe in black and chrome.

If your damaged fender doesn't rub the tire you could ride with it installed until your replacement fender comes in or do as Scotty J says and ride without a front fender until it gets here.

The only time it's really needed is when the streets are wet or muddy.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:12:29 am
Also, I wasnt thinking of this for the first two weeks, because it hurt to drive a car much less ride a motorcycle.

I forget that RE imports less than 1000 motorcycles a year to the US right now. Hopefully with the new factory and the buzz RE is getting they can up those numbers. I certainly think they should, its a special machine.

I seem to remember something about the front fender being required for stability. Anyway, its damage is cosmetic and its not rubbing against the time. Ill go in and chat and get this worked out. The dealer has been nice and keept me up to date. Its just that Im getting the itch to ride now that I feel good again.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:34:32 am
.........Its just that Im getting the itch to ride now that I feel good again.

Oh.  We ALL get the itch when we CAN'T ride.    ;D

Glad you're all healed up and feeling better and ready to ride again.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 11:02:30 am
I order from Hitchcocks...fast delivery!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:55:24 am
Oh.  We ALL get the itch when we CAN'T ride.    ;D

As long as the itch doesn't keep you from riding! :P

Doesn't the G5 have an easy - on/off front fender without all those support struts?  Stick the broken one back on till the new one arrives...

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 04:04:18 pm
I found out the parts have shipped, so I should be up and riding in a few days!
I can't wait. I am really excited about getting back in the saddle again.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 05:58:41 pm
As far as the wait for parts goes, anything from 3 days to infinity!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 06:24:41 pm
Having ridden British & European motorcycles most of my life, I know that the sheet metal parts are the most scarce. Even with much more common brands, there can be a long wait. BMW always stocked unpainted parts that could be matched up here. I would probably check all sources (Ebay, Sellers in India & etc.) before ordering. I have gotten some parts from India, shipped by DHL in under a month. Large bits would be expensive to ship & could be dented.
  In the case of fenders, You'd think the distributor would stock a pile of chrome ones, & Primed Fenders, Paint etc. ready to be painted in the USA
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 06:32:31 pm
You can always call CMW directly and ask when they expect it to be in.  Sometimes you really are waiting for something that's on a slow boat from India, or worse, waiting for it to be made as all the parts in India have gone to the production line.  If you're in a rush, there may be an accessory chrome one from CMW that will fit or something else you could adapt, though that's more expense.  If it really drags on call Hitchcocks in the UK.  They often have things in stock when CMW is out. 

As Craig said, it is difficult to stock replacement sheet metal, so many colors and varieties.  Mechnical parts are easier.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 06:55:05 pm
I had a black G5 front fender on order for about 6 months. It never did show up, but two rear fenders did! I ended up getting an aluminum cafe racer fender from Dime City.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 06:56:42 pm
Yep.  Mechanical part I've ordered from NFG has come in a few days.  Tuesday I ordered an adjustable kickstand I put it on this morning.  And if you're in a hurry, call and ask if they have something in stock.  Turnover on a fender painted to match your bike is beyond something they can afford to keep sitting in a local warehouse given the number of bikes imported each year.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 07:17:25 pm
Dime City are good guys.  Got a thing or two from them.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 01:05:49 am
I called NFG about the adjustable kickstand right after I bought my bike in March 2011 and they told me they were out of production and didn't expect to get any more. I did my own extension. Not pretty, but worked well.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 06:06:51 pm
In the case of Fenders, Donnelson Cycles in metro St. Louis Mo. used to carry British Front & Rear Universal Aluminum Fenders. I like them.  Here
is a pic of an old BMW "battle of the twins" vintage racer I owned, wearing some I adapted

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 01:20:46 am
Also Noticed BULLETWALA (India) On Ebay, Has an Enfield Chrome Front Fender, New for $92. + $52. shipping. If you needed a few things they could bundle them & shipping would seem less. I have bought from them & had a good experience.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 04:45:08 am
The parts have shipped. So I will get my motorcycle back one day this week. I can't wait.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 08:48:35 am
Glad to hear that both you and the bike will be back on the road soon.

Scott